Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How/Where did you get your ticket?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

There is no difference when it comes to only going to an AI final. That person in my mind and in quite a few others from what has been seen on here is what I would term an 'event junkie'. If someone can make time to get to an AI final then surely they can find time to frequent a few other matches during the year. Now don't give me a song and dance about cost. Doesn't cost much to get to Castlebar from anywhere in Mayo. Can share the journey/fuel costs with someone else from the parish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

prospect wrote: »

I suppose the counter-argument is:
    If a 'non-fan' is expected to move mountains and attend X games a year, then it is reasonable that a 'real fan' should move mountains and source a ticket, rather than whinge about not getting one.

Those of us that do go to matches don't find it easy to get tickets for finals. We do have to move mountains to get them. Then we see someone who hasn't shown any interest up to then getting a ticket very simply. That is the problem. If we are whingeing it is because we go all year and have to move mountains to get a final ticket while many people whose first and last match is in September get them easily.

It is not a case that anyone that goes regularly has definite sources of final tickets. Some that buy them throughout the year have a major difficulty getting them come the final. Up to a semi-final anyone can get a ticket, but those sources are all closed off come the final. We go to all those other matches because we are interested in doing so not because tickets are easy to get. The people who could easily get tickets too all year, don't bother going because they have no interest. Come the final they may have some contact they get a ticket from, a contact they never use all year, while the person who goes to lots of matches but has no contacts gets left without. That is where the problem lies and what seems unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

There is no difference when it comes to only going to an AI final. That person in my mind and in quite a few others from what has been seen on here is what I would term an 'event junkie'.
    Flukey wrote: »
    Then we see someone who hasn't shown any interest up to then getting a ticket very simply. That is the problem.

This is my point.
    You are deciding on someone elses 'entitlement' to attend a game of sport based on one very simplified metric, match attendance.
    This is a blunt way of looking at it.

So how many matched does someone have to attend to make them a 'real fan'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

This is my point.
    You are deciding on someone elses 'entitlement' to attend a game of sport based on one very simplified metric, match attendance.
    This is a blunt way of looking at it.

So how many matched does someone have to attend to make them a 'real fan'?

A few more than just swanning up for the final thats for sure.

But obviously luckily both work and family commitments you people had throughout the year that stopped you them going to any other game conveniently vanished on the 22nd September.

Slattsy wrote: »
    A few more than just swanning up for the final thats for sure.

But obviously luckily both work and family commitments you people had throughout the year that stopped you them going to any other game conveniently vanished on the 22nd September.

Apart from trying to be smart, you haven't achieved much with that post and certainly have not answered the question.

How many games do you think someone needs to attend to 'permit' them to attend the final?

And I never said I had any of those commitments. I just pointed out that there are many reasons people might not attend, other than not being bothered.

But do you not see that, just because you can do it, that means nothing to the next man/woman.

Add in Kids training in GAA & Other sports, helping with a dependent relative, cooking a Sunday dinner for elderly parents, not having the free use of a car, working long hours during the week and wanting to spend time with your family.

I'll happily admit that the only GAA game I attended this year was the Football Final. I watch as many on TV as I can, but due to the nature of my work, my wifes work, our family commitments etc, I find it hard to make it to games.
    My wife plays GAA for our local club, she used to play county. Before we had kids and other commitments I used to attend most of her club/county games but now cannot.

It's not that I choose to park my arse for the year until the glory game. I was offered two tickets to the Game last Sunday on the previous Thursday, I took them. I don't apologise for it.
    Apart from trying to be smart, you haven't achieved much with that post and certainly have not answered the question.

How many games do you think someone needs to attend to 'permit' them to attend the final?

And I never said I had any of those commitments. I just pointed out that there are many reasons people might not attend, other than not being bothered.

^ You did.

Slattsy wrote: »
    ^ You did.

Oh yeah :D

Still haven't answered my question on how many games someone has to attend to be a 'real fan'.

I want to state for the record here that I am just humouring the original request for someone brave enough to admit only attending the final.

I'm under no obligation to explain myself to anyone. The way I look at it, I got a ticket, many 'real fans' (still to be defined) didn't, maybe they should work harder at getting tickets.

Personally I think you like having some fun in this thread.

• Advertisement

I want to state for the record here that I am just humouring the original request for someone brave enough to admit only attending the final.

I'm under no obligation to explain myself to anyone. The way I look at it, I got a ticket, many 'real fans' (still to be defined) didn't, maybe they should work harder at getting tickets.

The thing is you didn't work at getting tickets. You got handed them and then your schedule just became clear for you to attend.

He's basically admitting he jumped on the bandwagon after I found him out :D

25% of the people at the game did the same and its aways been the same as far as i can remember, but citing work/family commitment bollox is tiresome. Esp after he openly contadicted himself.

I'm heading off now, and this is a discussion that could go on for days and go nowhere.

In my mind, someone that only attends one or two games a year, but is at their local club weekly contributing in many other ways is more of a supporter than someone that simply goes on a half dozen Sundays out in the big smoke.

I'd like to finish by saying that I too think that is would be best if genuine GAA supporters got to go to the big ticket games (like any other sport).
    It is just that I would measure a genuine supporter by more than simply how many games they went to in a year.

The thing is you didn't work at getting tickets. You got handed them and then your schedule just became clear for you to attend.

Sorry, last thing,

That is your perception of, but not necessarily the reality.

Sorry, last thing,

That is your perception of, but not necessarily the reality.

Ahh now it is based on your many comments on this very thread.

Prospect, those other things like contributing to a club do count too of course. What we are talking about though is the people who have no interest in going to matches or helping in clubs or anything like that, but still manage to get a ticket and for that one day join the rest of us that show our interest throughout the year in all sorts of different ways, match attendance just being one of them. It is handy to use here as it is quantifiable a lot easier than all of the other ways.

Still, someone who is interested, will go to at least some matches, along with their other contributions to the GAA that they may have. Not everyone can get involved in a club in a productive way. Most are just members, nothing more. It only takes a certain amount of people to actually run a club and do the little jobs, so for many there is nothing for them to do in their club, except for going to the matches. Of all the things we can do, it is the one thing we can all do. A club that has 500 members doesn't need all 500 of them to line the pitch as it were, but all 500 can go to the match that the pitch was lined for.

The long and short of it is though, that on All-Ireland Final day there are people there who have no interest whatsoever in GAA, except on that day. Meanwhile you have people who are interested in GAA to the extent that as the bells are still ringing to welcome the new year and people are coming to them wishing them happy new year, going through their mind is the question "Who is going to win the All-Ireland this year?", and they are left outside when the answer to that question is finally revealed. People for whom the GAA seasons starts on the 1st of January and ends on the 31st of December, and not when the ball is thrown in for the final until the referee lasts blows his whistle. In Dublin's case, many won't see them play again until late next summer, while others first view of Dublin playing in 2014 will be at the Blue Stars matches on the 1st of January. Despite being a bit hungover from the early morning celebrations, they'll still be there cheering their team on. Others will be doing other things for the club or county or just supporting them throughout the year. Then there are our friends whose interest starts and ends on All-Ireland final day and even if they had nothing at all to do, wouldn't cross the road to go see a match on any other day of the year. The vast majority in Croke Park on All-Ireland Final days have at least some interest, but there are others who have none, but took the opportunity to take a ticket anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Got my ticket from my club, as all club players in the county did I believe

What we are talking about though is the people who have no interest in going to matches or helping in clubs or anything like that

Actually, that is not what is being spoken about here.
    What is being said here is that, if you do not attend an, as yet undefined, number of matches a year you automatically fall into the category you mention above.
    I am simply arguing that the two categories of people are not the same.

Match attendance is not directly proportional to your level of commitment or interest.

I agree with your sentiment above, but I don't agree with the vulgar generalisation in the thread.
    someone who is interested, will go to at least some matches, along with their other contributions to the GAA that they may have. Not everyone can get involved in a club in a productive way.

Sorry, I don't agree.
    If someone who is interested is expected to 'make it happen' with regard to match attendance, then I see no reason why those same people can't 'make it happen' with regard to contributing to their club.

Every club always needs extra help in some way, be it fund raising, grass cutting, strimming, litter picking, youth training helpers, etc.

Ahh now it is based on your many comments on this very thread.

Well, I **think** what I said was that I was handed a ticket on the previous week (based on my proven bad memory though you may prove me wrong).
    But I was being slightly devious there.
    Last January/February, I provided professional services to a club at the request of a friend. They offered to pay me but I didn't accept it. Instead I said they could get me All Ireland tickets if Dublin get to it.
    That was was before the championship even kicked off. I forgot about it really and didn't really expect it to happen either way. But true to their word, last week I got the tickets.

I have no doubt that many people who are greater contributors to the GAA than I did not get a ticket.
    I also have no doubt that of all the people here who consider themselves real fans (and they most likely are), there are others who have contributed far more to the GAA, but attend fewer matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

For me, I'd prefer my ticket to go to someone who has no time to go to county games because they're too busy with club commitments than someone who goes to every county game without having a club. It wouldn't be a difficult decision either.

So what happens as did in my club when the amount of tickets allocated doesn't cover the panel of players never mind including the club committee. As for the fully paid up club members well forget about pleasing any of them.

Heard a story last night from a club sec in Clare who told me that every club she knows of have received a smaller allocation for the replay than for the drawn game. How is that possible when there is no minor game?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

So what happens as did in my club when the amount of tickets allocated doesn't cover the panel of players never mind including the club committee. As for the fully paid up club members well forget about pleasing any of them.

Heard a story last night from a club sec in Clare who told me that every club she knows of have received a smaller allocation for the replay than for the drawn game. How is that possible when there is no minor game?

I presume it was because there was a large number given to each county board to distribute as well - lot of people in Cork got tickets by sending a cheque into the board and got them in the post.

• Advertisement

I presume it was because there was a large number given to each county board to distribute as well - lot of people in Cork got tickets by sending a cheque into the board and got them in the post.

Aren't they meant to be distributed through the clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Kinda off-topic but 3 Tyrone people sat down behind me approx 5mins from the end of the minor game. Now what teams were in the minor game? Also the Dublin lad that was beside me told me a story about how he was in having a few jars and a Tyrone guy came in and sold his ticket for a few hundred euro. Hate that kinda muck happening.

Those guys were probably sitting in better seats and then the person with the ticket for that seat came in and the lads had to move to their real seats. That goes on the whole time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Got 2 term tickets myself through a contact on the Thursday before the game. Knew I had been to a good few Mayo games throughout the year and a lot of GAA matches. Being a member of my club doesn't do me much favours when it comes to the football unfortunately (being from Galway:() and indeed it was my first football final.

I just wish there was a neutral season ticket of some sort. I'd imagine there's plenty of genuine GAA fans across the country that have been to less finals than the sunshine supporters from the likes of Dublin/Kerry/Mayo/Tyrone/Cork (not picking on these counties' fans, just that they've been in a few finals in the last 10 years). Indeed, during the game last Sunday, my particular section was a bit 'posh', at least the people in the immediate vicinity were, and there was one particular lady sitting 3 rows in front of me that was reading off the senior team sheet in the programme for the minor match. Heard her saying 'McLoughlin on the ball now' at one stage. Good seats as well they were which annoyed me more.

If someone who is interested is expected to 'make it happen' with regard to match attendance, then I see no reason why those same people can't 'make it happen' with regard to contributing to their club.

Every club always needs extra help in some way, be it fund raising, grass cutting, strimming, litter picking, youth training helpers, etc.

People aren't going to get involved in the first place if they have absolutely no interest whatsoever. If they are going to line pitches, at some point or another they are going to watch a match being played within them. If they are training teams, they will probably attend a few matches. Whatever their primary contribution to the club or county is, they will go to a match at some point. Everything is done so that teams can be fielded and the sport played. The sport is central. They do their bits to make it happen, with the it being the sport itself. Those that get involved in some other way are likely to go to at least some matches. Then there are those who never get involved in anything and whose interest in GAA is 70 minutes, plus a few more minutes of play per annum.

Well, I got one. First pub I tried, barely inside the door and a man had a spare one. When asked about spare tickets by two women who came in shortly after me, a barman said that there would be some around soon. He knew of some that were coming and expected others to show up too. Lots of people didn't come to Dublin, because they had not got a ticket, but many would have got some. It was nearly full in Croke Park, just 24 short of capacity. One of the empty seats was right beside me. A woman and a girl that were in front of me, disappeared at half time. Anyway, great atmosphere and a great result. I lived to see another one. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

After an hour of looking and asking people for a ticket or where any might be going, I got one outside the Big Tree just as i was giving up and heading off to watch it. Face value off a Clare lad who was about to sell it to a tout (doubt he knew that but when you live in the area, you know the regulars). I saw touts offering €120 for a Davin seat and the same for Hogan and 60 for the Nally. I also laughed when i saw two touts holding signs up looking for tickets at 4.30.

Great seat in the Lower Cusack and had an empty seat besides me which was strange. I was sitting besides a very foul mouthed Cork man who had the row in front of us turning around every couple of minutes due to the abuse he was giving Cork, even when they got back level.

Great game and well done to Clare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

chinguetti wrote: »
    After an hour of looking and asking people for a ticket or where any might be going, I got one outside the Big Tree just as i was giving up and heading off to watch it. Face value off a Clare lad who was about to sell it to a tout (doubt he knew that but when you live in the area, you know the regulars). I saw touts offering €120 for a Davin seat and the same for Hogan and 60 for the Nally. I also laughed when i saw two touts holding signs up looking for tickets at 4.30.

Great seat in the Lower Cusack and had an empty seat besides me which was strange. I was sitting besides a very foul mouthed Cork man who had the row in front of us turning around every couple of minutes due to the abuse he was giving Cork, even when they got back level.

Great game and well done to Clare.

Outside Gills I saw a tout I recognised giving cash to a young girl with cork colours on, maybe 11/12 yrs old, that he was obviously familiar with. She had a "ticket wanted" sign - so must have been trawling for tickets . They are up to everything !

With regard to selling and buying tickets, do the GAA not facilitate this at Croke Park?

Can you knot seel your ticket back at the 'Box Office' for face value in the knowledge that it will be resold at face value.
    Also, it removes the risk of buying a dodgy ticket.

With regard to selling and buying tickets, do the GAA not facilitate this at Croke Park?

Can you knot seel your ticket back at the 'Box Office' for face value in the knowledge that it will be resold at face value.
    Also, it removes the risk of buying a dodgy ticket.

Well they don't really do ticket office sales for the AI. The parnell pass ticket collections were from one of the offices where they share facilities.

Right, well it is certainly something they should consider if they are serious about eliminating Touts.

I know where I'd bring a spare ticket, or where I'd be most comfortable buying a ticket on a match day.

• Advertisement

Right, well it is certainly something they should consider if they are serious about eliminating Touts.

I know where I'd bring a spare ticket, or where I'd be most comfortable buying a ticket on a match day.

Could you imagine the scrum there on AI final day. People going mental waiting to see if they opened the doors. Accident waiting to happen really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

When I was a young 'un with no responsibilities etc (late 90's early 00's) I'd get to a fair amount of Mayo games - more than 70% league and Championship, since around 2007 I've had less time for activities out side of real life.
    However last season I got to a couple of league games and a few of the championship games (not the final). Never been to a final tbh, would usually try get tickets for wife or sister/brother who would generally get to more games than me.

This year, I got to all the championship games bar the connacht final. I managed to get my final ticket via my wife, who got her ticket with her brother via a club in Laois I think.

I've submitted membership application for Cairde Maigheo for next year - even though, due to impending family changes, I may not be able to get to as many games as I did this year.

I'll say the hunt for tickets kept the mind of the game in the weeks leading up to it.

Pity about the result but had a great time at the remainder of the matches and great aul craic with the Dubs at the final itself.

Advertisement