Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TRS vs. XLR for short runs.

Options
  • 24-09-2013 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

I'm feeding a pair of Yamaha HS-5 monitors from a Pioneer DJM mixer using 1.5 metre XLR to XLR leads at the moment. Where the gear is set up I would rather have the speakers back closer to the wall, which is not possible with straight XLR connectors sticking out about 2" from the back.

The easy and cheap option would be to replace the XLRs with right angled TRS leads as the speakers and mixer have provision for both.

On such a short run of cable am I going to hear any difference between XLR vs. TRS? I suspect the answer is that having the speakers closer to the wall will have a bigger effect on the sound, but I'd like your opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

NVM. Found my answer.
    There should be no difference between them apart from the quality of the relative cable and connector. Warnings about the mechanical action of plugging and unplugging a TRS jack and how it will momentarily short but I was always advised not to connect or disconnect live gear anyway.

Advertisement