Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So annoyed

• 24-09-2013 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭

So I got a new Border Collie/Lab cross last friday as i said in another thread, He's getting on great with our other collie, and my OH is in love with him as am I

Funny story when i was getting him (he's only 1) the owner said that she had to give him away as her 13 year old soon wasn't walking him and he was stuck in his run all day which is fair enough like any 13-14 year old i'd imagine, But she said to send her pics of him and added us on Facebook for us to show her pics of gunner adapting to his new home

Being honest didn't expect to hear any more from her , But had a few missed calls from her and today she rings me to tell me that her son has been crying every night since he's been gone and made assurances to walk and look after him and wants the dog back...Well she can **** off dog is living a life of luxury here sleeps on her bed has the run of the house and is walked daily so say im fuming is not the word

And sorry had to vent somewhere , what a spoilt little ****er he must be :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Just forget about her, sounds like the dog is much happier now. Ridiculous that she thinks she can do that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

So crazy! My ex took in his flatmates-girlfriends-sisters (phew!) dog when she was pregnant as she said it needed a home (slacker...) and two days later she marched into the house and took it back without ever saying thanks or anything and took all the new stuff me and him bought the dog. We were raging too :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

sounds like the dog was lucky to get away from the 2 of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Well she lives 60 miles away and only knows the villiage i live in....should i delete her off facebook and ignore all calls or just leave as is and hope she feics off herself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

It sounds like she didn't give her son a chance, I don't think he sounds particularly spoiled, he sounds like a normal 13 year old to me. It was her responsibility to make sure the dog was walked and looked after properly, so I can understand why he is so upset. Did you get anything in writing, to say he is your dog now? Did she give you the licence? Is he microchipped, and if so, has that been changed to your name?

I can understand you being angry about this, but try not to be too hasty. What if the dog decides that he hates your cat, and continues to chase it, what are you going to do? It might not be such a bad idea to have an option in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

Think how attached you feel after 4 days. Imagine how attached the lad is after a year? Hope calling a child a fúcker made you feel better.
    What are you so irate about anyway? She asked for it back and you said no. So just enjoy the kids dog and get on with your life.

Regarding the Cat he has actually gotten kind of used to him now he just looks at him with his head and we just have to say somthing and he looks away

She had him up on donedeal for 20 euro I rang and asked to see the dog and she lived in abbeyfeale im at the other side of Limerick myself so it was 120 mile round trip I went up there and in taking him she wouldn't even take the money off me I agree with the poster above kind of because she did say she was sick of giving him chances to walk the dog, But still she had the where with all to put him up on donedeal without even telling him

Funny thing though i collected him friday morning she texted me saturday (24hours later) that he was only after noticing him gone ...Seems like he cared alot :pac:

Here they are together

• Site Banned Posts: 20 Nice Botty

Well she lives 60 miles away and only knows the villiage i live in....should i delete her off facebook and ignore all calls or just leave as is and hope she feics off herself

Maybe just give back the dog?

The mother jumped the gun but that's not your problem man, let the mother deal with the situation that she has managed to make for herself.
    Best of luck with your dog man it's lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

^^^^^^ which one is the new dog?!? It doesnt look like there is much Lab in him - more collie.

GREAT that he has settled in so well in so short a time. Hopefully he will continue to get used to your cat (and the cat to him), and life can settle down for all. (Sounds like he has a better life with you - in the house and with company rather than stuck unwalked in a run - so hope the situation settles down, and everyone is happy)

• Advertisement

The bigger one at the front is the new one :) , the back one is Gypsy who's 3 and we've had her since she was one too :)

can't believe people are actually telling you to give him back to a life of misery stuck in a run and not getting enough proper walks..

i had a westie when i was a kid and my family gave her away to a family friend because i was too young to know the responsibility. i was gutted for like a month but i.got.over.it and it taught me how important it is so when we adopted the next dog it was my best friend and went every where with me!

the kids going to be butt hurt for a while and the mams going to feel like a thick but who caaares. its about animal welfare at the end of the day and the pooch is gorgeous and happy with you and your family and dog. Give him all the love you can :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

both smashing looking dogs - any more pics? Post some in the 'official' pictures post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Usual assumptions being made here in that people seem quite happy to say the dog had a happier life now without knowing all the facts.

I completely agree with Muddypaws on this. The lad is acting like any other 13 year old. I remember my dog when I was 13 and I would have been really devastated if he had been given away.

Question is OP, do you want to be decent ? Or do you want to be right ?

Will do :)

Swanner wrote: »
    Usual assumptions being made here in that people seem quite happy to say the dog had a happier life now without knowing all the facts.

The OP said the original owner said she gave the kid a chance to walk him but it wasn't happening.

I wouldn't pick being decent to someone over the welfare of an animal

@swanner I too have had dogs taken off me when i was younger and yes it hurts like hell but i got over it after a while, Ill give ya a better example my own brother who is 17 now (i'm 29) had a cairn terrier when he was 14 same situation left in her run and never walked I was moved out and my parents both work full time, In the end it was my mam who ended up minding the dog and eventually couldn't cope and had to give away the poor misfortune, So asking me to i want to be decent and right well by keepin the dog in the dogs interest i am being right and decent by keeping him, As i mentioned the mother herself had told us the youngfella had broken multiple promises already and she had to give him away as she was starting a new job and the daughter who did walk him before has started college so moved away , thats the only FACTS i have and there enough for me

thats the only FACTS i have and there enough for me

And this shows how much YOU care. Fair play to you! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I understand your dilemma Brian, but the dog has been that child's for over a year, you only have him over a week, if the young lad is offering (albeit only now) to take care of him and make an effort...

I think it would be really cruel to not give it back, it's a tough one, I can really also see where you are coming from, as you will probably give the dog a better home, but if the child is crying every night looking for his dog back I would have to give it back....

(If I was in your shoes!)

^^^I see what you're saying aswell but the fact that even his own mother said he was given multiple chances to do this is what has me not swaying at all as i have seen and my OH is practiclly in tears at the thought of losing him already :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Fieldog wrote: »
    I understand your dilemma Brian, but the dog has been that child's for over a year, you only have him over a week, if the young lad is offering (albeit only now) to take care of him and make an effort...

I think it would be really cruel to not give it back, it's a tough one, I can really also see where you are coming from, as you will probably give the dog a better home, but if the child is crying every night looking for his dog back I would have to give it back....

(If I was in your shoes!)

'it'?:mad:

I'm not saying that you should give the dog back, but I do feel very sorry for the boy. You didn't say all that other information previously, about the mother having a new job, daughter off to college etc. My view on it would be that any child is too young to have responsibility for a dog, and so it is up to the parent(s) to have that responsibility and for any parent not to realise that, with any pet, is a bit ridiculous, from cleaning out hamster and rat cages, to feeding fish, kids are kids.

It is the mother that is at fault here, for getting the dog in the first place, and for not stepping up to look after it properly. The dog is only a year old, the boy will probably go off to college in 5 years, like his sister, what would happen to the dog then? If the mother isn't able or willing to walk the dog now, I can't see that changing in 5 years time.

It is a sad situation, and I hope it works out for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

I wouldnt dream of giving the dog back. Yeah the kid is making promises now and maybe he would walk the dog more if he got him back but how long before the dog would be back stuck in the run forgotten about again?
    Gorgeous dog op, and he looks so well settled after only a week. I bet he thinks all his Christmases have come at once.

And just in the last hour he's started barking at our other dog playing my 1st time hearing him bark got about 2 mins footage of them playing together it was awesome lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Just thinking about it, I always had dogs growing up. If my parents had threatened, even half heartenedly, to give away a dog because I wasn't pulling my weight I would have walked over hot coals, jumped through hoops to keep my dog!
    At 13 years of age he should be more than capable of helping with a family pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

So this woman was happy to unload the dog to someone else, she couldn't be bothered to look after it herself. Surely any parent with any common sense knows well when they get a child a dog, that they are going to be the one walking it? The OP adopted this dog in good faith, if he were to give the dog back and the kid changes his mind again what happens to the dog?

The kid is 13, he's old enough to know how to take responsibility, this could be a valuable lesson to him for the next dog mammy buys him. Unfriend her and block her number, better a temporarily unhappy teenager than a dog that ends up being put to sleep because he gets bored again and the dog is fecked in to the pound. Also ffs he's 13 what's with this crying business?

Crying my arse, he's probably being a stroppy little git using the dog as a means of wangling grand theft auto 5:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

teggers5 wrote: »
    At 13 years of age he should be more than capable of helping with a family pet.

Helping yes, but not having sole responsibility. If the dog was left in a run all day this is the adults fault. I feel sorry for the kid, he has a pretty poor parent. She doesn't sound like someone who should own a dog either, very caring to rehome it through done deal.

Also ffs he's 13 what's with this crying business?

Crying my arse, he's probably being a stroppy little git using the dog as a means of wangling grand theft auto 5:rolleyes:

Wow, judgemental much?

13 year old boys aren't allowed to cry? This thread saddens me in so many ways. So many assumptions being made, it's an internet forum, one side of the story is being told only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I honestly think this is a tough lesson for the lad to deal with and I have sympathy for him but, it may be the best lesson he ever gets in animal ownership.

Far too many people in this country don't see it as necessary to take care of their animals properly as it is.

You would hope if he ever gets an animal again that he remembers this lesson and learns from it.

The dogs look really happy together OP well done, and best of luck with them.

• Advertisement

I agree with the above, this hard lesson now may make him a great animal owner in the future.
    Without it he would simply take all his pets for granted.

Advertisement