Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken skins

Options
  • 24-09-2013 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭

I think crispy chicken skin is my favourite food ever! I love scalping a roast chicken that's been well seasoned and wolfing it down. :rolleyes:

So two questions:

1. Where can you buy large quantities of chicken skin?
    2. Anyone got any good recipes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

I think crispy chicken skin is my favourite food ever! I love scalping a roast chicken that's been well seasoned and wolfing it down. :rolleyes:

So two questions:

1. Where can you buy large quantities of chicken skin?
    2. Anyone got any good recipes?

Sorry but that made me a little sick in my mouth! :o

But I'd imagine if you went to your local butcher and asked for some (if they de-breast their own chickens, our one does, if you ask for 2 he pulls out a full chicken with skin, removes skin then removes breasts... I'm sure he would gather skins if you wanted properly without fishing them from the waste bin...

As for reciepes, found this HERE

852b6f2ffb6a538ccf4800bbc339872b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭richiebceltic

The dog usually gets them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Surely I can't be alone on this one!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I know Ferran Adria has a recipe for a chicken skin pancake, but given his recipes all the best on that. Normally I use a cooling rack on top on a roasting tray and stretch out the skin and crumble some sea salt and dust with smoked paprika and toast at 190 until crisp

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Like the previous poster said - I'm sure any decent butcher would be able to give you some if they had prior notice.

As for a recipe - I don't know of any, but I wonder if it would be worth laying them flat on a piece of parchment paper, seasoning well with salt & roasting in a low oven for a couple of hours to render off most of the fat. Then remove, pat dry with some kitchen paper & return to a hot oven to crisp up. Hey presto - chicken skin crisps. (Maybe.)

What I have in my head would be a great snack with a couple of cold beers. If it worked it would be worth trying with some different flavours - eg, a sprinkling of chilli or a 'southern fried' spice mix, a splash of Tabasco or Franks Hot Sauce, or just a squeeze of lime with some rock salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Like the previous poster said - I'm sure any decent butcher would be able to give you some if they had prior notice.

As for a recipe - I don't know of any, but I wonder if it would be worth laying them flat on a piece of parchment paper, seasoning well with salt & roasting in a low oven for a couple of hours to render off most of the fat. Then remove, pat dry with some kitchen paper & return to a hot oven to crisp up. Hey presto - chicken skin crisps. (Maybe.)

What I have in my head would be a great snack with a couple of cold beers. If it worked it would be worth trying with some different flavours - eg, a sprinkling of chilli or a 'southern fried' spice mix, a splash of Tabasco or Franks Hot Sauce, or just a squeeze of lime with some rock salt.

Nice one THB. Why haven't we seen this on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you like it spicy, go for buffalo skins.

slice chicken skin into strips, dust with 3/4 flour 1/4 cornflour and a bit of smoked paprika, then deep fry until brown and crispy.

whilst they're cooking, melt equal parts of butter in a pan with frank's hot sauce and then toss in your skins once cooked.

you could make a nice simple blue cheese or garlic dip to go with them too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sorry but that made me a little sick in my mouth! :o

There is something very wrong with you.
    Crispy chicken skin is one of the nicest things in this world!

I've grilled chicken skin with good success.
    Asian shops tend to sell most of their chickens and chicken pieces without skin. You could try there.

There is something very wrong with you.
    Crispy chicken skin is one of the nicest things in this world!

ha, I'm just anti skin an any meat / fish tbh... Dunno why... It was just the thought of the skin, lots of them, no meat that kinda turned me! :o

But each to their own!

Came across this -

Source - http://mymansbelly.com - super-bowl-snack

Recipe: Super Bowl Snacks: Crispy Fried Chicken Skin

Ingredients
    Chicken Skin (cleaned of excess fat and any stray feather stuff)
    Sea Salt
    BBQ Dry Rub
    Instructions
    Lay chicken skin between 2 layers of paper towels and roll up to remove as much moisture as possible.
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit.
    Cover one rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
    Remove chicken from paper towels and lay out chicken skin as smooth as possible.
    Lightly sprinkle each piece of skin with some of the sea salt or bbq dry rub.
    Cover the skin with another sheet of parchment paper and lay another rimmed baking sheet on top.
    Weigh the whole thing down with a cast iron skillet and slide into the oven.
    Bake for 20 minutes. Check for doneness by lifting up top pan. Skin should be crisp. You may need additional 10 – 20 minutes depending on how thick the skin is that you use.
    Drain off the fat and lay out fried chicken skin on a paper towel lined dish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You could get chicken pieces with higher skin to meat ratios, like wings.

Lots of thighs you get have a lot of skin on them, you often get extra skin on them which would have been further down the leg. Perhaps there is some recipe you like where you could separate the meat and skin and cook separately. Skinless thigh meat does well in curries, or to make tandoori chicken.
    As for a recipe - I don't know of any, but I wonder if it would be worth laying them flat on a piece of parchment paper, seasoning well with salt & roasting in a low oven for a couple of hours to render off most of the fat. Then remove, pat dry with some kitchen paper & return to a hot oven to crisp up.
    I have heard of methods like this being done for duck skin, which is extra fatty. Perhaps looking up duck skin might get more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

But each to their own!

Couldn't agree more.

Funny thing is that while you express disgust at the idea of eating chicken skins, you've come up with the most recipes.

Couldn't agree more.

Funny thing is that while you express disgust at the idea of eating chicken skins, you've come up with the most recipes.

I know, I love cooking and was genuinely intreguied!! So just shared as I researched!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

rubadub wrote: »

I have heard of methods like this being done for duck skin, which is extra fatty. Perhaps looking up duck skin might get more info.

Heston did something like stretching and sewing duck skin onto wired rack, and roast it. Think it was part of in search for a perfect peking duck or something. Looked delicious. Seriously delicious.
    I'm sure the same can be applied to chicken skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

For pig skin, a good way of doing it is to simmer it for an hour or two first, then slice it and fry it up. Lovely pork scratchings.

Full instructions are
    1. Prepare the skin by removing as much of the fat/meat as possible.
    2. Season both sides of the skin with salt etc. (paprika, cumin, coriander, chilli all good)
    3. Place on clingfilm and roll up tightly, tying both ends to make it as waterproff as possible.
    4. Pop in a pot of boiling water and simmer gently for about hour and a half.
    5. Remove from pot and leave to cool ... refrigerate if not ready to eat it for a while.
    6. When ready to go, slice it up and fry it in a little oil.
    7. Remove with slotted spoon and pop on a slice of kitchen paper.
    8. Enjoy !

It'll puff up nicely and the skin side will be really crispy. Last time I made it I left a bit too much fat on the other side. It was tasty, but a bit chewy, so I'll trim it even more next time.

Despite the many steps, it's not really hard. Prepare,season,simmer,fry,eat.

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Also, if you want loads of chicken skin, you could make some sort of Turducken. Only the outer bird should keep it's skin, so you'll have all the skin of the interior ones, plus a nice little 3-bird roast to boot !

F.

Advertisement