Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to education allowance..I'm a tad confused!

Options
  • 24-09-2013 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hello, OK so I'm 23 working full-time but not exactly satisfied in my job, and there's a college course that's been at the back of my mind for years now. Now don't get me wrong I know how lucky I am to be working in this day and age but the job isn't for me...
    ANYWAYS, I'm considering applying for this college course starting Sept next year (bet you didn't see that one coming) but I wonder would I be entitled to back to education allowance? I know there's a certain amount of time you've to be claiming job seekers/the dole..even if I quit and did that would I be likely to be approved? Also do I need to be 24? Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Sunny.Days wrote: »
    Hello, OK so I'm 23 working full-time but not exactly satisfied in my job, and there's a college course that's been at the back of my mind for years now. Now don't get me wrong I know how lucky I am to be working in this day and age but the job isn't for me...
    ANYWAYS, I'm considering applying for this college course starting Sept next year (bet you didn't see that one coming) but I wonder would I be entitled to back to education allowance? I know there's a certain amount of time you've to be claiming job seekers/the dole..even if I quit and did that would I be likely to be approved? Also do I need to be 24? Thanks in advance :D

Is it postgraduate or an undergraduate course?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi OP,
    The main rules for BTEA are:
    • You need to have 234 days on social welfare not counting Sundays before being eligible for BTEA for a college, university or IOT course. (78 days for a 2nd level or a plc course)
    • You need to be receiving a social welfare payment immediately before the course starts.
    • You need to be aged 21 or older. (some exceptions)
    • You can't get the allowance to repeat a level of qualification or to do a lower level qualification than one you hold already.
    • The course has to be a recognised qualification in a recognised institution offered on a full-time basis.
    • BTEA is only available for qualifications up to level 8 on the National Framework of Qualifications. This covers all undergraduate courses up to Honours degree level and post-grad courses to Post-grad certificate and some of Higher Diploma standard.
    • It's not available for Masters or PHd qualifications.
    • If you want to do a post grad level 8 course you need to be aged at least 24.

Funding
    • Over 25's will receive the same amount of money on BTEA as they would on the dole.
    • If you are aged under 25 your allowance may be increased to a maximum of €160 per week
    • You can work while in receipt of BTEA as long as it doesn't affect your full-time student status.
    • BTEA is not paid during the summer break. You can sign on or work during this period without it affecting your BTEA for the next year of your course.
    • You can apply to SUSI for the registration fee grant for college but you will not be eligible for the maintenance grant.

BTEA has been changed recently and the current operational guidelines are on the DSP website here: http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Education-Allowance-Scheme.aspx

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Sunny.Days

Wow - thanks a million that's really informative and helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Tully1986

I'm in the same boat as yourself.

I have been talking to the local Citizens Information, who have informed me if you leave your work voluntarily there is an extension period of 9 weeks onto the 9 months as a penalty for volunteering for unemployment. If you are friendly with your employers it is best to get them to give you your P45 and have them admit to the not having the work there for you to continue your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭jamesccp

It really is crazy that they force u to leave work 9 months before starting you course. SO much for the knowledge economy they keep banging on about. Im in college at the moment, it will be the best decision you ever made. Dont be stuck some where u hate for the rest of your working life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 break for the border

I failed two modules in 3rd year and was just wondering if I can claim the dole if I to do 1 externally and 1 internally for the year or what would I be intitles to do???

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I failed two modules in 3rd year and was just wondering if I can claim the dole if I to do 1 externally and 1 internally for the year or what would I be intitles to do???

Contact DSP

Back to Education Section

Department of Social Protection
    Social Welfare Services Office
    Government Buildings
    Shannon Lodge
    Carrick-on-Shannon
    Leitrim
    Ireland

Tel:(071) 967 2616
    Locall:1890 927 999
    Homepage: http://www.welfare.ie

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement