Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running club south Dublin

Options
  • 24-09-2013 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Anybody know which would be the best club to join

Terenure
    Rathfarnham
    Dundrum

I am a female runner, 26, half marathon time 1.33 ish.

I would like people to run with to help improve my times.

Does anybody know what times these clubs train and if any have a track?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

SB5 wrote: »
    Anybody know which would be the best club to join

Terenure
    Rathfarnham
    Dundrum

I am a female runner, 26, half marathon time 1.33 ish.

I would like people to run with to help improve my times.

Does anybody know what times these clubs train and if any have a track?

Sportsworld Terenure would be the best club for you out of the batch. Try all three and find the best fit for you but I would suspect Sportsworld would suit you better than the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Bros Pearse would also be very suitable. Tues/thurs 7pm training in the Knocklyon area. Have a look at our fbook site or email me at peter.vincent@aviva.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Sportsworld Terenure would be the best club for you out of the batch. Try all three and find the best fit for you but I would suspect Sportsworld would suit you better than the other two.

For once we agree RQ ;)

Come along any Tuesday or Thursday at 7... Clubhouse is in Bushy Park

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

digger2d2 wrote: »
    For once we agree RQ ;)

Come along any Tuesday or Thursday at 7... Clubhouse is in Bushy Park

It was the most painful thing I've ever posted on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 SB5

Great...thanks for the info.

I was previously with a club in Tipperary but on moving to Dublin last year I have been running on my own...can get a bit boring though...

Is it possible to attend a training session or two of the clubs to see which suits best before joining?

I work late on Thursdays, but Tues would suit me. Do Sportsworld and Knocklyon also have long run training on Sats/Sundays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Bros Pearse is obviously the best option :)
    The coached sessions are Tuesdays and Thursdays 7pm, there's a regular Sunday meetup (though that's more for beginners), and club members arrange their long runs together through our facebook page or weekly training email.

(Rathfarnham and Sportsworld also have their main training sessions Tuesday and Thursday at 7. Pretty much any club will let you come down to a couple of training sessions and see how you like it before you decide to join)

Great...thanks for the info.

I was previously with a club in Tipperary but on moving to Dublin last year I have been running on my own...can get a bit boring though...

Is it possible to attend a training session or two of the clubs to see which suits best before joining?

I work late on Thursdays, but Tues would suit me. Do Sportsworld and Knocklyon also have long run training on Sats/Sundays?

Come along for a few training sessions and try it out to see if it suits, ask for Paddy or Emily and they'll look after you and introduce you etc. There are quite a few lady members who are in or around 1:25 - 1:30 HM times so you'll get into a good group there.

Group long runs at the weekends too and also training sessions in Bushy on Saturday mornings when the cross country season kicks in.

I should say also that the Grass Trackers Bros Pearse also have a very good reputation as an emerging club.

oh god, do I have to say something nice about Sportsworld now? :pac:

yis scrub up well, I'll give you that :D

RayCun wrote: »
    oh god, do I have to say something nice about Sportsworld now? :pac:

yis scrub up well, I'll give you that :D

:D:D

Maybe we should join forces and become Sports Trackers ;)

Thank you..this thread has been very helpful.

I won't lie...at the half marathon last Sat, when I heard a lady cheering on Sportsworld I thought it was a sportshop, ha.

I love the friendly banter between clubs! It's hard to pick between them all...at home I only had one club to choose from.

• Advertisement

Thank you..this thread has been very helpful.

I won't lie...at the half marathon last Sat, when I heard a lady cheering on Sportsworld I thought it was a sportshop, ha.

It is! :D
    I love the friendly banter between clubs! It's hard to pick between them all...at home I only had one club to choose from.

We often run in the same places too, last week there was a group of us from Bros Pearse running the route of the Rathfarnham 5k, and I could see a bunch of what looked like Sportsworld in Bushy Park, then around the corner there was a gang from Rathfarnham. Tallaght cross over into civilisation sometimes, their eyes wide at the street lights and motorised vehicles, and DSD spread over into Marlay Park (plus they have a juvenile feeder club that trains in Bushy Park)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Can't speak for the other clubs but there would be a good few women your age and standard in Sportsworld.

Here's Rathfarnam's info out of interest, don't know if they have many members who post here.

Summer
    Tuesday at 6.30pm - interval session, Bushy Park (meet by children's playground).
    Thursday at 6.30pm - circuit training, Bushy Park (by children's playground).
    Saturday at 9am - speed session, Bushy Park (or track session in Tallaght at 11.00am)

Winter
    Tuesday at 6.30pm - interval session, Loreto Park, Nutgrove (meet by Leicester Celtic Football Club).
    Thursday at 6.30pm - circuit training, clubhouse (Main Street, Rathfarnham).
    Saturday at 9am - speed session, Bushy Park.

Easy group runs are also held on Mondays and Wednesdays at 5.30pm and Sundays at 8am and 9am (meeting at the clubhouse in Rathfarnham village).

All the local clubs will be out in force at the Rathfarnham 5k I'd say, might be a good time to talk to people in person

statss wrote: »
    Can't speak for the other clubs but there would be a good few women your age and standard in Sportsworld.

Here's Rathfarnam's info out of interest, don't know if they have many members who post here.

Summer
    Tuesday at 6.30pm - interval session, Bushy Park (meet by children's playground).
    Thursday at 6.30pm - circuit training, Bushy Park (by children's playground).
    Saturday at 9am - speed session, Bushy Park (or track session in Tallaght at 11.00am)

Winter
    Tuesday at 6.30pm - interval session, Loreto Park, Nutgrove (meet by Leicester Celtic Football Club).
    Thursday at 6.30pm - circuit training, clubhouse (Main Street, Rathfarnham).
    Saturday at 9am - speed session, Bushy Park.

Easy group runs are also held on Mondays and Wednesdays at 5.30pm and Sundays at 8am and 9am (meeting at the clubhouse in Rathfarnham village).

Thanks for the info Statss..are you with Sportsworld yourself?

I often go running in Bushy park so I think this club would be the best location to where I live.

RayCun wrote: »
    All the local clubs will be out in force at the Rathfarnham 5k I'd say, might be a good time to talk to people in person

Yes Raycun, I plan on participating in the rathfarnham 5km,...if my legs have recovered from the HM..taking a little longer to recover this time...no doubt due to the hills!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Thanks for the info Statss..are you with Sportsworld yourself?

I often go running in Bushy park so I think this club would be the best location to where I live.

yep I am with Sportsworld, there'll be loads of people of your standard there every week, there's usually a nice steady run or fartlek on Thursdays if you wanted to drop down tomorrow. In winter we usually train around the Dodder Road and Butterfield Avenue area, meeting first at the Clubhouse in Bushy.

yep I am with Sportsworld, there'll be loads of people of your standard there every week, there's usually a nice steady run or fartlek on Thursdays if you wanted to drop down tomorrow. In winter we usually train around the Dodder Road and Butterfield Avenue area, meeting first at the Clubhouse in Bushy.

And...... Not only is he in Sportsworld but statss has amazing hair :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Gonna throw a spanner in the works here but Tallaght AC is in the same area, have a tartan track and club house. There would be two fairly large groups of runners in the club that would be in or around your level. While I cant offer the amazing hair of statss we do have a Santa Claus look alike:D

Training times are;

Monday/ Wednesday 6.15
    Tuesday/Thursday 6.30

Just saying:p

I won't be able to attend tomorrow I work late on Thursdays, and I am away on hols next week but I might come down on Tues of the following week and check it out.

And...... Not only is he in Sportsworld but statss has amazing hair :D

Oh the hair is a definite attraction...ha ha

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    Gonna throw a spanner in the works here but Tallaght AC is in the same area, have a tartan track and club house. There would be two fairly large groups of runners in the club that would be in or around your level. While I cant offer the amazing hair of statss we do have a Santa Claus look alike:D

Training times are;

Monday/ Wednesday 6.15
    Tuesday/Thursday 6.30

Just saying:p

Hmmm...I am confused now... I was nearly sold there to Sportsworld but the track and training on Monday aswell as Tuesday is a definite plus!

The location to where I live however might be an issue..don't want to be spending lots of time in traffic.

Hmmm...I am confused now... I was nearly sold there to Sportsworld but the track and training on Monday aswell as Tuesday is a definite plus!

The location to where I live however might be an issue..don't want to be spending lots of time in traffic.

Having lived in Tallaght for 25 years I would advise you against it, unless you like the smell of burning cars ;) The clincher for you may well be that the fantastic Sportsworld hires out the Tallaght track ( and a fine track it is to) on Saturday mornings during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

join the club that is easiest for you to get to and that may mean Crusaders in Irishtown fits the post work bill. they have fantastic facilities.

Their own track = Tallaght or Crusaders
    In Bushy Park = Rathfarnham or Sportsworld
    Near Bushy = Pearse Brothers

Muddying the waters are the fact that both Rathfarnham and Sportsworld hire track time from either Tallaght or Crusaders :)
    I'd imagine any of the clubs I mention have nice people to play with so only you will know which club provides the best mix, they are all very welcoming of newcomers, especially ladies who can run half marathons in 1.33!

Having lived in Tallaght for 25 years I would advise you against it, unless you like the smell of burning cars ;) The clincher for you may well be that the fantastic Sportsworld hires out the Tallaght track ( and a fine track it is to) on Saturday mornings during the summer.

Where else will you get outdoor heaters along your route during those cold winter months :D

I agree with the previous post regarding going down to sessions. Most clubs welcome people to "try before you buy" so to speak so its a good way of finding out which club is the best suit for you regarding training, logistics, amenities etc

Peterx wrote: »
    join the club that is easiest for you to get to and that may mean Crusaders in Irishtown fits the post work bill. they have fantastic facilities.

Their own track = Tallaght or Crusaders
    In Bushy Park = Rathfarnham or Sportsworld
    Near Bushy = Pearse Brothers

Muddying the waters are the fact that both Rathfarnham and Sportsworld hire track time from either Tallaght or Crusaders :)
    I'd imagine any of the clubs I mention have nice people to play with so only you will know which club provides the best mix, they are all very welcoming of newcomers, especially ladies who can run half marathons in 1.33!

Thanks Peterx, good advice, I'll have to attend a few training sessions and suss it out myself.

The main thing for me is to have ppl to run with who are around my pace, really want the company on interval workouts and long runs at weekends.

I don't want to join a club where the athletes are too good for me, I want to be In a club where I will have the chance to progress.

Everyone's advice has been great.

Thanks Peterx, good advice, I'll have to attend a few training sessions and suss it out myself.

The main thing for me is to have ppl to run with who are around my pace, really want the company on interval workouts and long runs at weekends.

I don't want to join a club where the athletes are too good for me, I want to be In a club where I will have the chance to progress.

Everyone's advice has been great.

You will be very hard pushed to find too many clubs with a full womens group of sub 1.35 HM women so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Best of luck in your choices on a club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

Sportsworld prob ur best bet, have a good group of women of diff standards there!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

So do Bros Pearse. We have the winner of the longford half marathon, a few ladies pushing to that 90min barrier..and we are one of the friendliest, most welcoming clubs in the dublin area. Check out our fbook site under Knocklyon runners. You won't regret trying out with us. Watch out for us at the Rathfarnham 5k. We will be the club with over 75 runners in the field.

PVincent wrote: »
    So do Bros Pearse. We have the winner of the longford half marathon, a few ladies pushing to that 90min barrier..and we are one of the friendliest, most welcoming clubs in the dublin area. Check out our fbook site under Knocklyon runners. You won't regret trying out with us. Watch out for us at the Rathfarnham 5k. We will be the club with over 75 runners in the field.

Where exactly are ye based?? And where do ye train?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

SB5 I think it is time for you to get an agent! :D ...serious recruitment going on here!

Advertisement