Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running club south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 SB5

blockic wrote: »
    SB5 I think it is time for you to get an agent! :D ...serious recruitment going on here!

I know...I can't figure out if people actually want me to join their club or are just enjoying the banter of who has the best club...ha 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

SB5 wrote: »
    Where exactly are ye based?? And where do ye train?

They are also known locally as the knocklyon joggers/the grass trackers. That might be a clue ;)
    If you want to join a serious running club, I would go with Ecoli's suggestion of Tallaght AC; our track is the envy of all the clubs mentioned; so much so that they pay us to use it at designated times (i.e. when we don't need it). Of course if you join Tallaght it's free to use at any time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Bros Pearse during the summer months are based in Cherryfield Pk which is opposite Ballyboden St Endas gaa club. In the winter months we meet at a church car park which is behind Superquinn knocklyon . tues/thurs 7pm .. Wednesday and Sunday runs also . Saturday runs /track work in Tallaght also available by arrangement within the club. Also a circuits session indoor on a thurs if that was of interest to you. Send me an email to the address I put on one of the earlier posts and I can give you more info . Otherwise come and talk to us on Sunday and we can advise on your best option. Would love you to join us but as long as you join some club , and get training with others , and doing proper beneficial sessions , then that is when you will see the improvements hopefully. We pride ourselves on training hard but having plenty of banter and craic. Relaxed and happy runners train better and harder and improve quicker

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Jesus lads...leave the poor girl alone.

You should just join Donore, we're better than all these clubs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

RQ, you missed your chance (and I'll be reporting you to Donore for your recommendation of Sportsworld) :P
    SB5, there'll be 70 Bros Pearse runners at Rathfarnham, you won't miss us :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for everyone's advice....and to think I was a bit nervous about joining a club up here.....if only I had known that everyone was so friendly I would have joined one long ago.

I would love to join every club mentioned...I'm sure each one is great.

Unfortunately... I think Tallaght and donore are too far from where I live. Although I would love the track in Tallaght.

Sportsworld would be the best location wise but I could possibly stretch to pearse Bros....I will be attending training sessions in the coming weeks.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

So in summary, Sportsworld > *

Glad that's settled.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Unfortunately... I think Tallaght and donore are too far from where I live. Although I would love the track in Tallaght.

I'm a member of Tallaght and live close to Marlay park, there's never any hassle with traffic and it never takes longer than 10 minutes. All the mentioned clubs are pretty good though so you wont go wrong no matter what club you pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I bet that if I started a thread saying i wanted to join a running club in South Dublin, the touting for my signature for a club wouldn't be a patch on this thread.:p

SB5, good luck with the decision whatever it is.

chinguetti wrote: »
    I bet that if I started a thread saying i wanted to join a running club in South Dublin, the touting for my signature for a club wouldn't be a patch on this thread.:p

Pudsy, on the other hand, would be highly sought after :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

chinguetti wrote: »

SB5, good luck with the decision whatever it is.

That's cos you're sh1te spagbol ;):)

I will be keeping an eye out for all the clubs on Sunday.

Thanks for everyone's advice...tough decision!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I will be keeping an eye out for all the clubs on Sunday.

Thanks for everyone's advice...tough decision!

Look, all clubs (afaik) are looking for new members and although there is good banter going on here the reality is that the ladies section in Tallaght is very weak, I'm sure the Tallaght lads won't disagree with that sentimenet. Sportsworld have a strong ladies section with a similar profile of age/experience who have improved greatly since they joined the club. They drag each other along in training to better performances but also have a lot of craic along the way. Our great leader ;), Emily Dowling, won the Dublin Marathon in 1981 so she knows her stuff but also knows that non-running things get in the way sometimes.

Anyway, I'm actually not here to gather new members, there is always good banter between the clubs mentioned but in my opinion and it's just my opinion, if you don't go the Sportsworld direction than Bros Pearse should be your number 2.

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Look, all clubs (afaik) are looking for new members and although there is good banter going on here the reality is that the ladies section in Tallaght is very weak, I'm sure the Tallaght lads won't disagree with that sentimenet.

My thoughts about Tallaght and Rathfarnham as well, I wouldn't have recommended Sportsworld otherwise. :pac:

My thoughts about Tallaght and Rathfarnham as well, I wouldn't have recommended Sportsworld otherwise. :pac:

Ok that's great advice thank you. I really appreciate that because I don't want to join a club where I cannot progress and improve my times.

I thought rathfarnham ladies were strong though no?

Ok that's great advice thank you. I really appreciate that because I don't want to join a club where I cannot progress and improve my times.

I thought rathfarnham ladies were strong though no?

AFAIK they don't have a particularly big group, or at least they don't go to training if they do. That's from a girl who used to be with us and now runs for Rathfarnham after moving to them probably over a year ago.

As an example, from this years two half marathons in Dublin Sportsworld sub 1:40 runners say FAR outnumbered Rathfarnham/DSD/Tallaght.

Couldn't tell you about brothers pearse they're not a real club so didn't pay attention to them. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

digger2d2 wrote: »
    That's cos you're sh1te spagbol ;):)

Tis the last time i'll tell people your guns are great.:mad:

And boo to Sportsworld:p

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jahaco

You should definitely take a long hard look at Crusaders in Irishtown. We have a large ladies membership. They are the current holders of the national novices x country title and 3rd in the national road relays. Your half marathon times are bang smack in the middle of the times achieved by our runners (and all have improved by having joined the club) and we have a dedicated long distance running group for both men and women that is over a 100-strong (we had 50 runners in the Frank Duffy and 40 in the half) that focuses on road running from 5k through to marathons (we had well in excess of 30 runners in the Dublin marathon last year and expect similar numbers this year). Training is Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

jahaco wrote: »
    You should definitely take a long hard look at Crusaders in Irishtown. We have a large ladies membership. They are the current holders of the national novices x country title and 3rd in the national road relays. Your half marathon times are bang smack in the middle of the times achieved by our runners (and all have improved by having joined the club) and we have a dedicated long distance running group for both men and women that is over a 100-strong (we had 50 runners in the Frank Duffy and 40 in the half) that focuses on road running from 5k through to marathons (we had well in excess of 30 runners in the Dublin marathon last year and expect similar numbers this year). Training is Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

Sorry, but why would she consider Crusaders? They're way out of her way and not a club she's interested in? The clubs she's mentioned are all very close to each other, there is most likely a reason for that...

This has just turned into pimp my club.

For the record, if she had asked for ANY club, I would have recommended Crusaders myself but she's looking at clubs in a completely different area...this would be like mentioning Sportsworld to someone who was trying to decide between Donore, MSB and Liffey Valley.

This has just turned into pimp my club.

I thought that was the game all along :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jahaco

We have a large catchment area with runners coming from all over Dublin (because they like the club!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

jahaco wrote: »
    We have a large catchment area with runners coming from all over Dublin (because they like the club!).

tbh, it would be madness to travel that far when there are so many other good clubs right on her doorstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Reckon some of the posters here were recruiters for American colleges :D

There no point in starting a "X is better club" because different people will react differently to different social aspects, training groups, coaching approaches etc. Every poster here will see positives in their own club that others won't etc.

The best advice that can be given is to provide basic information and allow the poor girl (who is rivalling the glamour group of Sportsworld in terms of coverage here :D) to make her own choices and try out the clubs which suit her logistically and allow yourself to find the right fit.

We all see our own clubs as the "right" choice from a personal experience but it is just that, a personal choice and I am sure the OP will find which club best suits her needs

from the mouth of babes :D

I am actually so confused right now...just when I think I have decided on a club...a new club pops up!

For the record I live in windy arbour so did want a club close to home....however I do work in Ballsbridge so I suppose crusaders could be considered.

I agree with ecoli, I'm sure all clubs mentioned are fantastic, and I do appreciate all the advice.

I didn't think I would get this much response when I started this thread...ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

I am actually so confused right now...just when I think I have decided on a club...a new club pops up!

For the record I live in windy arbour so did want a club close to home....however I do work in Ballsbridge so I suppose crusaders could be considered.

I agree with ecoli, I'm sure all clubs mentioned are fantastic, and I do appreciate all the advice.

Just please come back and tell us where you end up - the suspense is killing !

I can't believe a mod has posted in this thread a number of times and still hasn't moved it out of the events section :P

kit3 wrote: »
    Just please come back and tell us where you end up - the suspense is killing !

I think the winning club is going to have her mounted on a float and paraded around the city :D

So...based on the results of the rathfarnham 5km I think I am going to give Sportsworld a shot...away on hols this week so it will be next week.

Hope everyone was happy with their performances...PB for me 19.35.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

So...based on the results of the rathfarnham 5km I think I am going to give Sportsworld a shot...away on hols this week so it will be next week.

Hope everyone was happy with their performances...PB for me 19.35.

Was wondering if u did it actually lol. Good choice, sub 19 easy for jingle bells

Advertisement