Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARGOS laptop second time round

Options
  • 24-09-2013 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I bought laptop last december.Last may i returned laptop as it was not charging ,i agreed for them to repair it.waited 4 weeks,now again same problem again.I am just wondering do i have to accept that they will repair it AGAIN.or can demand a replacement.guarantee will be up in dec and i am afraid if they repair it again and then another 5 month down the road the same thing will happen again,and iwont have a leg tostand on as guarentee will be out..what should i do..going to go intothem tomorrrow

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You do not have to accept another repair. by guarantee you mean the manufacturers warranty? this is separate to your statutory rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Argos are probably the best out there for faulty goods insist on a replacement providing they still sell that laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 noboc

yes manufacturers warranty is what i ment.sorry. I really dont want to accept anothe repair(was happy 1st time as i thought problem would be solved)but for it to happen 5 months later was so mad..right ill stand my ground tomorrow and see what they say.have all my repair doc from last time and receipts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

To explain your rights for the twenty millionth time in this forum :pac:

The warranty is with the manufacturer and not with Argos. In short ignore this 12 months thing, you've six years to make a claim and a registrar (in the District Court) makes a decision on whether the goods have lasted for a reasonable amount of time.

The issue is - if it's not charging because the battery is gone it may become problematic because batteries don't last as long as the laptop. That said a number of months in ridiculous. Have you any way of establishing whether it's the battery or another fault?

If it was the battery I'd give Argos the choice, replace the entire laptop or replace the battery. They do have a right to inspect the goods but this should take no longer than a week. If there is a fault they should be replacing it from stock for something of equivalent value or issuing you with a refund.

Update us on how you get on and anymore info you might get. Above all stay calm, the store will only be implementing policies put in place buy a department that is never customer facing. As a last resort a €25 small claims summons normally does the trick. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

If it is a battery, depending on the spec, 6 months is not an entirely unreasonable amount of time for a battery to last depending on the usage. Batteries are smart and do have on board diagnostics i.e. Charge cycles, Usage pattern etc. Any 'misuse' are serious affect a batteries lifetime.

What exactly is the fault? Its if the battery both times its probably down to how you are using it and maintaining it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Bepolite wrote: »
    To explain your rights for the twenty millionth time in this forum :pac:

The warranty is with the manufacturer and not with Argos. In short ignore this 12 months thing, you've six years to make a claim and a registrar (in the District Court) makes a decision on whether the goods have lasted for a reasonable amount of time.

The issue is - if it's not charging because the battery is gone it may become problematic because batteries don't last as long as the laptop. That said a number of months in ridiculous. Have you any way of establishing whether it's the battery or another fault?

If it was the battery I'd give Argos the choice, replace the entire laptop or replace the battery. They do have a right to inspect the goods but this should take no longer than a week. If there is a fault they should be replacing it from stock for something of equivalent value or issuing you with a refund.

Update us on how you get on and anymore info you might get. Above all stay calm, the store will only be implementing policies put in place buy a department that is never customer facing. As a last resort a €25 small claims summons normally does the trick. :D

Excellent advice there.

The fact that the battery should or shouldn't have lasted this long is up to the shop to decide and if you disagree with that then its up to the small claims court to decide, as the poster above states Batteries are a very gray area and I would be very wary of offering my opinion on this as simply my opinion doesn't matter, its just that, an opinion

Just to update ye all.Went in yest 1st of all they said they were sending it back(was not happy) long story short, anyway they replaced it,they had no bothers replaceing it as it had all ready been repaired for same reason..sohappy camper hopefully anyway.thanks for allthe advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

My new advice is: Read the manual that comes with the laptop and make sure you are doing what it says in relation to the battery. Batteries are very easily damaged buy the user.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Bepolite wrote: »
    My new advice is: Read the manual that comes with the laptop and make sure you are doing what it says in relation to the battery. Batteries are very easily damaged buy the user.

If only everyone did this !!!

Had nothing to do with the ACTUALLY BATTERY, it was the lead(charger)was not contecting into laptop..

• Advertisement
Advertisement