Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much study should I be doing?

• 24-09-2013 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Has anyone any suggestions...repeat students or last years LC maybe?

I've asked in school and got the following - 4-5hrs per night, (after 7/8hrs in school classes), plus 8hrs sat and 8hrs Sunday, plus another 12hrs per week on HPAT(split between early mornings and weekends). I'm looking for medicine, prepared to work my butt off, but its only September and I'm thinking ill be burnt out by October if I go with this!!

Any wise advice appreciated :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Has anyone any suggestions...repeat students or last years LC maybe?

I've asked in school and got the following - 4-5hrs per night, (after 7/8hrs in school classes), plus 8hrs sat and 8hrs Sunday, plus another 12hrs per week on HPAT(split between early mornings and weekends). I'm looking for medicine, prepared to work my butt off, but its only September and I'm thinking ill be burnt out by October if I go with this!!

Any wise advice appreciated :-)

In 6th year i would not spend that much time on my homework because i thought i should be studying but then when i repeated i realised how much homework can help, i would make sure you do all homework that you get and then see what time you have left , i was told an estimate is an hour for each 100 points , if you want 500+ points that means 5 hours.Realistically doing class and then 5 hours every night and 16 at the weekend is not going to work , that is way too much even for medicine you have to take breaks!
    if i have one tip it would be not to set a certain amount of study time, instead make lists of topics to be covered and maybe set goals of the amount of topics you will need to cover each week, that worked better for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

TBH I've that much homework at the mo that its taking me forever to just get through it! Ill take ur advice and keep doing it thou, I was considering dodging bits already ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

It depends on the person. Some people can't go without doing homework plus hours of study thereafter.

I did the absolute minimum in my homework (though I did it to a good standard) throughout the year. I had good attendance and I didn't f*ck around in class. About 3 weeks before the exams I put my head down and got over 500 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I think you're probably right tbh.

If you want medicine, you are right to be prepared to work your butt off, but that looks OTT, esp. the 8 hours Sat / 8 hours Sunday bit on top of a heavy week.

It's your decision, and everyone is different to an extent, but a few general points:

... Quality > quantity. An hour's concentrated study when you're alert and focused is far more valuable and productive than an hour when you're exhausted, very little is going in, you subconsciously know that and you're getting stressed and tiring yourself even more as a result.

... Be organised in your study, and take a short break of 5 minutes or so every 35 / 40 minutes. Walk as far as the front door and count the stars, pet the dog, it doesn't matter ... get up from the desk and move around.

... When you're studying, study. When you're not, forget about it. Fretting that you're not doing enough study is at least as tiring as actual studying.

... Eat *fairly* sensibly, get enough sleep, get regular exercise. It doesn't have to be two hours in the gym ... a *brisk* 20 mins walk every day will do the job nicely. It will help you clear your head, and you'll feel a lot fresher. (Sauntering around the school yard for 20 minutes chatting to friends does not constitute a brisk walk!)

... Have "time off" and a social life. That doesn't mean go out three nights a week, it means setting aside time which is for R&R and *not* for the LC. If you're meeting friends, that means not spending the time talking about the LC and how much study you're doing .. or not doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nmcd17

Last year I just made sure I did my homework and did it well. Your homework is so important because your teachers are giving you the work that they know needs to be done. Do not think you know better than them!! If they tell you to study a specific thing, study it well.
    If you get that all done, then study what you feel needs to be done. If you don't get all that done, try not to stress out. Everything will work out in the end and I wish you the best of luck :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement