Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite homemade condiment / pickle?

Options
  • 24-09-2013 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

What's your regular favourite sauce or pickle you've made yourself?

Few of mine are -

Cucumber pickle - cannot get enough of it
    Red Onion Marmalade
    Chilli Jam
    Spicy Ketchup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Beetroot chutney - tastes lovely, looks lovely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

What's your regular favourite sauce or pickle you've made yourself?

Few of mine are -

Cucumber pickle - cannot get enough of it
    Red Onion Marmalade
    Chilli Jam
    Spicy Ketchup

Would I be able to get a recipe for the red onion marmalade and the spicy ketchup? Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Beetroot chutney (I could it eat straight from the jar on a spoon)
    Courgette relish.

I'm going to lift all my beetroot and make a huge batch of chutney this weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Has anyone got a recipe for chilli chutney? I bought a really delicious one in McCambridge's of Galway which is running out and I'd love to know how to make it.....divine with some nice Durrus or Gubbeen......nyomnyomnyomnyom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

I love the courgette relish and the courgette pickle that I make myself and this year I've made a tomato and chilli jam.

The jam worked out great with the first batch that I made but then I decided to quadruple the recipe the second time. I was short a lemon so the jam didn't set enough so I have a sauce rather than a jam but still yummy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I made Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Courgett "Glutney" a month or two ago and it turned out fabulous - it's the 3rd recipe down on this page:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2007/aug/11/features.weekend

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

fitzcoff wrote: »
    I love the courgette relish and the courgette pickle that I make myself and this year I've made a tomato and chilli jam.

I use your recipe for courgette relish - it's amazing. I always add extra cornflour than the amount given in order to make it thick enough.

Ooh, could I have your recipe for this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

I have posted this in another thread so copied and pasted,

My new love for it is on Aldi's wholemeal pittas with ham and cheese.

Sweet Courgette Relish
    Not really a chutney but lovely on brown bread with cheese or on a burger.

900g(2lb) finely chopped courgettes
    1 large onion finely chopped
    500ml (16 fl oz) cider vinegar
    350g (12oz) granulated sugar
    2tsp english mustard powder
    1tsp turmeric
    1-2 tsp chilli flakes
    2 tsp cornflour
    2 tsp coriander seeds

Put courgettes and onions in a large saucepan and and pour over cider vinegar, stir to mix.
    Add sugar, mustard powder, turmeric, chilli flakes, cornflour, and coriander seeds and stir over a gentle heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil . reduce the heat and cook, stirring occasionally for 40 mins- 1 hour.
    Pour into sterlised jars and leave for a month to mature, keep in the fridge after opening.

Thank you so much, will definitely be trying this!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

Daisies wrote: »
    Would I be able to get a recipe for the red onion marmalade and the spicy ketchup? Thanks

Red Onion Marmalade
    10 Red Onions
    150g Brown Sugar
    30g Butter
    200ml Red Wine Vinegar
    75ml Red Wine

1. Dice Red Onions roughly. Melt the butter in a pan, add the Onions and Brown Sugar, saute for 5 min.

2. Add in Vinegar & Wine, simmer until a marmalade consistence and most of the liquid has evaporated.

3. Season and transfer into steralised jars, makes 3 to 4 jars.

It makes a few of these tubs...

f9759631b9cae35c3d2540ab0befad35.jpg

Chilli Jam
    2 Chillies
    10 Tomatoes
    300g dark sugar
    75ml Red Wine Vinegar
    Dash of Balsamic Vinegar
    Fresh Ginger & Garlic - 2 cloves / thumb

1. Depending on consistence you would like you can blend tomatoes until a smooth paste or not so smooth...

2. Add chillies / Ginger / Garlic (chopped finely)

3. Add all to a pot and heat up slowly adding sugar and vinegars

4. Bring to boil then simmer until its reduced by about half, 30 min should do it or so stirring every so often and depending on consistency you want cook for a bit longer....

Spoon into steralised jars and cap before cool to get a good seal!

It'll give you a few small jars

00f99dfcf17067f0216ad4336f32a177.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

I have posted this in another thread so copied and pasted,

My new love for it is on Aldi's wholemeal pittas with ham and cheese.

Sweet Courgette Relish
    Not really a chutney but lovely on brown bread with cheese or on a burger.

900g(2lb) finely chopped courgettes
    1 large onion finely chopped
    500ml (16 fl oz) cider vinegar
    350g (12oz) granulated sugar
    2tsp english mustard powder
    1tsp turmeric
    1-2 tsp chilli flakes
    2 tsp cornflour
    2 tsp coriander seeds

Put courgettes and onions in a large saucepan and and pour over cider vinegar, stir to mix.
    Add sugar, mustard powder, turmeric, chilli flakes, cornflour, and coriander seeds and stir over a gentle heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil . reduce the heat and cook, stirring occasionally for 40 mins- 1 hour.
    Pour into sterlised jars and leave for a month to mature, keep in the fridge after opening.

Ohhh, interesting, must try this out this weekend! Sounds amazing!

Advertisement