Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you sell a lift insurance/assurance policy?

Options
  • 24-09-2013 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi

Father is looking to sell his lift policy (as he calls it a death policy)

He's unsure of the exact details, but here is what I know:

He has a policy that he has been paying E200/month for about 10 years.

If he lives past 78 years, he gets nothing. If he dies before hand, the family (*my mother) gets about E60K.

So, with a celtic tiger apartment floundering, selling this policy could make the difference and allow them to clear the mortgage now.Is this legal, any starting points?

Thanks

Button Button

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Hi

Father is looking to sell his lift policy (as he calls it a death policy)

He's unsure of the exact details, but here is what I know:

He has a policy that he has been paying E200/month for about 10 years.

If he lives past 78 years, he gets nothing. If he dies before hand, the family (*my mother) gets about E60K.

So, with a celtic tiger apartment floundering, selling this policy could make the difference and allow them to clear the mortgage now.Is this legal, any starting points?

Thanks

Button Button

No you cannot sell it, but im curious as to what value you think your fathers life policy is to a third party?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No you cannot sell it, but im curious as to what value you think your fathers life policy is to a third party?

Second hand for example endowment policies can be bought and sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Second hand for example endowment policies can be bought and sold.

That's true, but what is described above is not a endowment policy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

That's true, but what is described above is not a endowment policy.

I know. It's a life assurance policy the very same as an endowment policy is. It can be bought and sold.

I've seen one term assurance policy sold.

An elderly man in poor health didn't have the income to pay high premiums. His family took them over and he assigned the benefits.

Advertisement