Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ploughing Championships

• 24-09-2013 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭

I see there was members of the clergy there to bless the land.

Does this upset some Atheists ?

Or would you see it as tradition.

After all sure there's no point in cutting off the hand that feeds you. ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Geomy wrote: »

It dosn't upset me at all. I couldn't give a hoot if they run naked in a circle, around a cauldron full of boiled frogs legs and newts eyes, and cast a spell over the land where the ploughing championships are to be held.

If I owned the land I would object to a priest 'blessing' it. But I do not, so I could not care less about magic spells being cast on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Do the clergy plough the land themselves after blessing it? Because I don't see how maybe not wanting them to bless it leads to "there's no point in cutting off the hand that feeds you".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Do the clergy plough the land themselves after blessing it? Because I don't see how maybe not wanting them to bless it leads to "there's no point in cutting off the hand that feeds you".

I suppose they'll go around telling people that they will reap what they sow.

Im not a fan of the clergy myself, I was just wondering what an Atheists thoughts on the matter would be.

Personally I don't give a toss whether there's a pagan ceremony or cath blessing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I see there was members of the clergy there to bless the land. Does this upset some Atheists?
    I think most atheists would find it a bit embarrassing that a fairly major wants magic spells cast around the place. Doubly so for the poor twit casting the spells.

It's all a bit Fr-Ted, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

robindch wrote: »
    I think most atheists would find it a bit embarrassing that a fairly major wants magic spells cast around the place. Doubly so for the poor twit casting the spells.

It's all a bit Fr-Ted, isn't it?

Shhhhh Ted only lives up the road from me. ...

Don't mention all those practising Catholic s who roll out of their beds every Sunday morning during the matchmaking festival in Lisdoonvarna....

The ones that can't miss mass. ..

"If the campers rocking don't come Knockin" is a popular camper van sticker up there. ..

Absolutely ghastly. ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It's probably good for the bits of grass that need watering. This is the type of blessing that the guy throws some water over the place right? Not the one with the bobblechain with smoke on it that gets waved about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Is it just me or are thread titles recently getting a bit strange?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Gordon wrote: »
    It's probably good for the bits of grass that need watering. This is the type of blessing that the guy throws some water over the place right? Not the one with the bobblechain with smoke on it that gets waved about?

Incense is only used for type 5 miracles I believe. Or is it type 5 holy stones?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Blessing the land harks back to pre-Christian pagan Ireland, many of the traditions of which were quietly absorbed by the Catholic church as people were in no hurry to give them up. Once they're not sacrificing virgins under the shrine to Massey-Ferguson, let them have their fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Ara, sure half of them became priests to get out of doing the ploughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I heard they upgraded it to a class 2 field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I prefer the Roman tradition of getting a couple to have sex amid the furrows myself. A lot more fun to be had with double entendres at the very least. "ploughing" champions, eh, eh, eh? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I prefer the Roman tradition of getting a couple to have sex amid the furrows myself. A lot more fun to be had with double entendres at the very least. "ploughing" champions, eh, eh, eh? :P

Really?! Jaysus, them Romans knew how to party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Did you know that in Russia they are equipping tractors with Glonass satellite trackers (the new Russian equivalent of decadent capitalist GPS system, which is slightly more accurate than GPS at northern latitudes) and they can plough for yonks in a dead straight line?
    Now I'm not saying this approach is necessarily better than blessing the tractor, but...

We had a small local ploughing competition on our land a few years back and we had none of that malarkey.

We did have a chip van in though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Totally off topic but then anyone else refer to them as the plown championships and not actually grasp the link to "ploughing" for years? :o

recedite wrote: »
    Did you know that in Russia they are equipping tractors with Glonass satellite trackers
    I don't believe they've any choice since the Russian government -- in a splendidly trade-barrier kind of way two years ago -- now requires (a) anybody selling anything with GPS in Russia, also to support GLONASS or face a heavy import duty and (b) anybody manufacturing any kind of mechanized transport within Russia must include a GLONASS receiver.

Globally, GLONASS is slightly less accurate than GPS, while GLONASS generally beats GPS over Russia, where the majority of GLONASS satellites reside. The EU's Galileo system is currently in testing and when complete by around 2020 is expected to provide vertical and horizontal accuracy of less than a meter which will make it significantly more accurate than the current versions of both GPS and GLONASS.

</geek>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They don't 'reside', if they did they'd become meteorites in short order :pac:

They use higher-inclination (angle between plane of the orbit and plane of the equator) orbits than GPS, so if you're in a polar region (north or south) you're likely to see more satellites and get a quicker and more accurate fix. Better still is to combine GPS and GLONASS in one receiver which is now common.

Anyway. I thought the only ploughing priests were into was altar boys?

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

robindch wrote: »
    Globally, GLONASS is slightly less accurate than GPS, while GLONASS generally beats GPS over Russia, where the majority of GLONASS satellites reside. The EU's Galileo system is currently in testing and when complete by around 2020 is expected to provide vertical and horizontal accuracy of less than a meter which will make it significantly more accurate than the current versions of both GPS and GLONASS.

OT, but the vast majority of modern survey grade receivers as used in tractors and machine control are GNSS, which combines GPS and GLONASS signals. In these contexts they're also being used with real time corrections (NRTK typically) which yield about plus or minus 20mm horizontally and 30mm vertically. Galileo is as more about coverage than accuracy at this point. No idea how this plays out in Russian farming mind you.

This thread suddenly became fascinating, how the hell did that happen?

• Advertisement

Corkfeen wrote: »
    the beauty and mastery of ploughing a straight furrow gets you eventually.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

ninja900 wrote: »
    They don't 'reside', if they did they'd become meteorites in short order

Reside is probably Russian for geostationary :)

If they were geostationary, they wouldn't work for sat nav ;)

ninja900 wrote: »
    They don't 'reside', if they did they'd become meteorites in short order [...]
    They can reside perfectly well if they're inserted into a geostationary orbit or parked at any of the Lagrange points.

However, the word was poorly chosen. Oops. The GLONASS satellites, as you say, orbit at a higher inclination to the plane of the equator, so they're more easily visible from higher latitudes than is GPS. Please substitute "spend a greater portion of their time flying over" for the unforgivably sloppy term "reside" :)
    Corkfeen wrote: »
    Space? I think everybody loves that.

Some day I'm going to enter the Ploughing Championships, and I'm going to win while having a beer in the big tent.
    My driverless tractor, guided by GPS, Glonass and Galileo, and referenced against local reference stations of known position, will plough the perfect furrow. The only problem is, which Massey Ferguson model to choose for this great endeavour?

recedite wrote: »
    Some day I'm going to enter the Ploughing Championships, and I'm going to win while having a beer in the big tent.
    My driverless tractor, guided by GPS, Glonass and Galileo, and referenced against local reference stations of known position, will plough the perfect furrow. The only problem is, which Massey Ferguson model to choose for this great endeavour?

Having worked with GPS extensively, you'd be well advised to get the PP to bless the Massey Ferguson, and pick a beer tent well away from the field in question. While generally accurate, GPS machine control can have its occasional 'bad days'.

I wouldn't let the local PP near it under any circumstances.
    But I can see the headlines now. "50 killed as godless tractor runs amok"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

If somebody has a problem / is embarrassed by a priest blessing a field, they really need to get out more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

If somebody has a problem / is embarrassed by a priest blessing a field, they really need to get out more.

I don't think anyone has. I think it's just ol' "sittin' on the fence" Geomy trying to provoke an outraged response from A&A.

Well, I'm outraged anyway. Shocked and outraged. Face purple. Hair standing on end. Heated steam escaping from all outlets. Tin lid rattling. The works really, I suppose.

Anybody else have any outrage they want to vent either at kid's thoughts, or at the thought of a grown man slopping water around a grassy Irish field while mumbling platitudes to an invisible deity more familiar with deserts and Palestinians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Oh yeah. This is about how angry I am at... Whatever it is I'm supposed to be outraged at:

Angry-white-man-steam-ears-630x315.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

and bring some rain gear with them in case they get caught in a priestly frenzy of blessing random bits of the outside.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Is there *anything* to be said for another Mass?

DeVore wrote: »
    Is there *anything* to be said for another Mass?

We could all chip in and buy a Mass card.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

So which competitors is the priest blessing the land in favour of? He's rigging the competitions! :eek:

I can see the headlines now, "Farmer stripped of prizes after Holy Water scandal". :pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Catholicism - putting the mass into Massey Ferguson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

I much prefer the 'Blessing of the fields' they performed in the Bible Belt states in North America.............................before the white man came....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Gordon wrote: »
    Catholicism - putting the mass into Massey Ferguson.

No sorry that's the Higgs. Definitely the Higgs.

Recently realised that Lamborghini was originally a tractor company, the only reason he branched into cars was because of a dispute he had with Ferrari over a part for his car. That's a piece of tractor trivia for all you ploughing heathens!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Calibos wrote: »
    I much prefer the 'Blessing of the fields' they performed in the Bible Belt states in North America.............................before the white man came....

Damn Whitey, ruins everyone's fun.

Sarky wrote: »
    Damn Whitey, ruins everyone's dun.

Whitey ruined the dun???...now I feel intense rath!

:pac:

Advertisement