Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have experience of tackling a bullying boss?

Options
  • 24-09-2013 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm a new poster so I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly but just hoping that someone might have had a similar experience to mine and might be able to offer some advice....

I work in the public sector and am at a loss to know how to tackle a problem I'm having with my line manager. I'm currently going through an industrial relations process, being represented by my union because my line manager is trying to have me transferred out of my department. This is purely for budgetary reasons according to management and is not at all related to my performance. It would be a compulsory transfer as I do not wish to go. However, there are agreed criteria that are used to identify the employees that are to be subject to compulsory transfer and I do not meet these criteria. And on that basis the union is fighting my case.

The thing is, my manager has tried on two previous occasions to 'get rid' of me, and on both occasions has failed to do so because these attempts have either been in breech of employment legislation or in breech of agreed industrial relations practice and protocols. I have never had any difficulties at work in terms of my performance. Management have agreed throughout the course of the current industrial relations process that my standard of work is not at issue.

I have no idea why my boss is treating me like this and I want it to stop. That is why when this industrial relations process is over I want to take some proactive action. However, I do not know what to do. My understanding of taking a case about 'victimisation' is that it's in relation to management 'picking on you' because of some complaint you previously made, I cannot invoke victimisation protections I think because this is not my situation. Nor does my experience fall under what I have read about bullying, this seems to be defined in varying ways by different groups and organisations but my situation doesn't fall very neatly under any of these.

I do fall under one of the 9 grounds of the equality legislation and I know my manager is aware of this. While I suspect this might be relevant to my situation, my boss has never made reference to it so I'm not sure that this is the way to go either.

I feel there must be something I can do to stop my boss attempting to 'get rid' of me again. It is hugely stressful every time it has happened but I just don't know what to do. Has anyone else out there been through this and can you offer any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,353 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There's two parts to this:

1)

Keep a dedicated notebook to hand and immediately note pertinent conversations, meeting requests, emails, etc that you believe involve your boss taking an inappropriate action towards you.

Have copies of mails / documents that are relevant in a folder locked in your drawer in work and add to it as necessary. Note in your notebook anytime you add to this folder and a brief description of what you've added and why.

2)

Do your job to the best of your ability despite this. Make sure your attendence record is clean, you comply with various work policies and practices, you get your work cleared (or raise up as is appropriate when you're struggling with a deadline) and you leave no grounds for complaint. EVEN IF OTHER PEOPLE DON'T DO ANY OF THESE THINGS YOU NEED TO.

That's it. If your Union has fought your corner before and you keep accurate records of what is going on and do your job well then this will work out in time. The thing to avoid is letting stuff like this impact on your performance so that leighway is created against you.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mollymum

Thanks Lucky Lloyd for your response. My issue though is that I want to take some action against my line manager and wondering if anyone has any ideas on what that action could be. I just want the attempts to get rid of me stopped, and I feel that unless I take action against management they will just keep trying till I get tired of resisting.

I am pretty confident my current industrial relations issue will be found in my favour, as it was on the two previous occasions, because my line manager is in the wrong.

There are never inappropriate comments or actions made either by me or by management to log. I know it is very unusual, that's why I'm at a loss myself. My manager just seems to want to get rid of me and keeps trying. Even though I'm fairly confident I'll win again this time I find the whole thing really stressful. It's also humiliating as all the rest of the department know that I'm nominated for transfer, ie not wanted.

I want to take some action against my manager when this current attempt to have me transferred is dispatched. Should the action be an anti-bullying procedure or a victimisation procedure? Any thoughts on that?

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Does your organisation have a published grievance and disciplinary policy? Lodging a grievance may be the first step in cases like yours?
    Aside from that, Lucky Lloyd has covered some good points, especially keeping a record of conversations/meetings/etc that are relevant.

Thanks for that response. Yes, we do have a grievance procedure, that is what I'm following at the moment with the support of the union. It is a multi-step process and I'm approximately half way through, so it will probably be another month or so before this complaint is 'resolved' whatever that resolution may be.

It is after this resolution that I want to take my action against my employer. Once again, any ideas about what this action might be, specifically, would be helpful.

mollymum wrote: »
    Thanks for that response. Yes, we do have a grievance procedure, that is what I'm following at the moment with the support of the union. It is a multi-step process and I'm approximately half way through, so it will probably be another month or so before this complaint is 'resolved' whatever that resolution may be.

It is after this resolution that I want to take my action against my employer. Once again, any ideas about what this action might be, specifically, would be helpful.

To be honest, I think that would depend on the outcome of the steps you're currently undertaking, and whether or not you're successful.

Taking it further would probably be best undertaken with legal advice, which you can't get on boards. That or the equality authority if you can show discrimination based on one of the 9 grounds

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Disco Stuart. I guess you're right. The outcome of the current grievance procedure will affect what I do next. If I'm successful in the grievance I've lodged, it will strengthen any future case (whatever that may be) against management as they will have been shown to have acted incorrectly once again. If I'm not successful it would make pursuing my employer more difficult, but not impossible.

I suppose I was hoping that someone might have been through something similar and would be able to advise me what action to take. I'll go back to the drawing board. Thanks again for your responses.

In fairness I personally haven't been through anything similar, so someone else will hopefully give you a better idea of their experience,

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mollymum wrote: »
    I do fall under one of the 9 grounds of the equality legislation and I know my manager is aware of this. While I suspect this might be relevant to my situation, my boss has never made reference to it so I'm not sure that this is the way to go either.
    Is it possible that your boss doesn't like said "ground", and is trying to get rid of you because of thus? Esp as it doesn't seem to be your standard of work?

Yes, it's possible, I think even probable, given my line manager's political views. However, nothing has ever been said directly to me about this so I don't know that I could take action under equality legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

To take formal action under any legislation you need evidnece.

Continued uinsuccessful attempts to get rid of you could be seen as evidence. But to go down the equity route you'd need to prove that your groundsis behind the attempts. Even if the "dogs in the street" believe that's why they're happening, this is not causation.

Personally I wouldn't waste my time sticking around an a place where the boss was trying and failing to get rid of my. I'd have no confidence in their ability to achieve anything else either, and no confidence in what they say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement