Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worth getting an ipad for college?

• 24-09-2013 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if it's worth getting an iPad? I'm going back to college part time to do a masters.

I'll have a lot of videos to watch and online articles to read and maybe even a few apps to download etc.

It's a course with a lot of mathematical content. While it's not computer science I'd like to learn a bit of programming on the side as well. Does anyone think that it significantly helps them with studying or would it be a waste of cash (considering I'm not flush atm cos I'm just starting my new job)?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,928 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Videos? Yes
    Articles and Reading? Yes

Programming? Math? NOPE

The Surface Pro would be a far better choice. You can do math right on the screen using the digitizer pen, and the notes become searchable via character recognition later.

273191.PNG

Programming, you can't do any programming on an iPad. Not without doing some weird jedi ****, and you'd be developing for iOS using a separate computer. Surface Pro will actually let you install a 64-bit or x86 compiler and chip away.

Both tablets have access to Khan Academy apps for a really great suite of academic videos and built in reading apps.

Until a reliable digitizer pen launched for iPad and a proven method of capturing and storing/sorting/retrieving notes surfaces, I shant reccomend it. Wacom just released the Intuos Creative Stylus for iPad but priced at $99 its not something I want to beta test. I expect to get feedback on the pens use in october/november from colleagues who plan to buy one for their existing tablets when we get it in store, in a few weeks. http://intuoscreativestylus.wacom.com/en/?country=us&language=en

Have to figure that the Surface Pro with an included pen (which requires no batteries, and attaches to the unit for carry), is actually very fairly priced. About 23gb of usable space putting it right behind the 32gb iPad for storage space, which is itself 599, which you would need a pen for, making compelling at 799 for something thats a lot more powerful

Advertisement