Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking to register a domain name

Options
  • 24-09-2013 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

Looking to register a domain name for my wedding dj business.
    Not looking for a website just something for emails.
    Getting a lot different answers of the web just need something quick and easy to set up
    thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Do a google search for 'hosted email custom domain'.

Google offer email through your own domain but you'll have to pay for the domain and the email service.

Microsoft offer free outlook.com for custom domains but you'll have to pay for the domain: https://domains.live.com/Signup/SignupDomain.aspx they also have a paid offering.

Lots of other offerings from various providers but you may have to buy the domain and point it to your new service provider. That may be the best (most flexible) option if you're happy managing a domain.

Your best bet may be a hosting account as these often come with email included anyway, this should also automate much of the setup process for you and give you the flexibility to launch a website if you're even need to. Plenty of providers out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frankspencer

so once I have a domain email.
    can i use hotmail etc to access it?
    v.confused

With the Microsoft link above, you get access through webmail (outlook.com) but using your own domain name. So if you register frankspencerdj.com, you would be able to setup info@frankspencerdj.com. You can also setup email access through iPhones, Android phones, mail clients etc. The only cost appears to be the price of registering the domain.

The other alternative is to sign up with a web host, you can usually get web space and email hosting for €5 - €10 per month plus the up-front cost of your domain name (about €10 for a .com).

ok could i register with outlook and then in the future use this domain to build a webpage?

Yes but if you're planning to do that sooner, going with a web host will mean you don't need to mess about with DNS changes later.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    Yes but if you're planning to do that sooner, going with a web host will mean you don't need to mess about with DNS changes later.

Is that complicated?

It depends on your level of experience. It's not hugely complicated by any means but it's not something I'd expect my granny to be able to do either.

Are you planning on registering a .com a .ie or some other TLD?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Just register a domain name and get email hosting from the same company -> much simpler :)

Advertisement