Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

€2 now stocking lightning cables an adapters

• 25-09-2013 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

I came across these in a Eurogeneral €2 shop today:

273179.JPG

273177.JPG

Didn't check the price but I'd imagine it would be no more than €2!

Didn't actually buy one as the last cheap cable I got wrecked my iPhone 5 lightning port - Apple replaced the phone:)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple have stamped down on third party lightning adapters in iOS 7, so there's a good chance these won't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Apple have stamped down on third party lightning adapters in iOS 7, so there's a good chance these won't work.

Just to let ya know I'm still using my lighting cables (I know your saying adapters can't comment on them) bought from deal extreme on iPhone 5 iOS 7, No problems so far so it might be hit and miss but for €2 and you don't have to wait a few weeks on delivery I think it's worth a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

hmm save €17 and risk getting my face charred to bits when the dirt knock off frizzes out or to buy a cable from those who know what their doing... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

hmm save €17 and risk getting my face charred to bits when the dirt knock off frizzes out or to buy a cable from those who know what their doing... :pac:

Its the dodgy charger in plugs that have the potential to kill you. An original apple charger and spurious cable won't kill you. But some of the cheap knockoffs could.. Just have a look on YouTube and check out the teardown and analysis of the cheap knockoff chargers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there's still electricity flowing through the cable regardless of it connected to the wall socket or not. whether that's enough to kill ya i don't know - i ain't an electrician - but for the sake of 17 euro i'm not about to test the theory out.

got to love some iphone users. pay 200-800 euro for an iPhone, bitch and whine about 89 cent apps, then charge their phones with dodgy cables*

^^ just in case anyone thinks i'm an android fanboy, i'm not, i've owned every iPhone since the first one.

* PS. this isn't directed at anyone in this thread, just the majority of general joe soap iPhone users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Speaking of knock off chargers I just exchanged a couple for the genuine article (at a cost of €10 each) in CompuB under the Apple scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

digitaldr wrote: »
    Speaking of knock off chargers I just exchanged a couple for the genuine article (at a cost of €10 each) in CompuB under the Apple scheme.

Only the plugs, not the cables which is what we are discussing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I wouldn't go near these as I think their performance could literally be shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

No chance of getting a shock from these with a genuine charger - it's 5V DC as opposed to 240V AC from the mains.

No guarantees they won't kill your phone, but probably not. FWIW, I couldn't charge my new 5s with a spurious cable this week - YMMV/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

I was the biggest advocate for years about cheap USB sync cables, usually off ebay. Then had a run of bad ones that would have a 50/50 chance of being recognised by the respective apple device. After reading loads of tech info on the web I came to the conclusion that the cables had low grade copper cable that was restricting the flow. So I have changed my brand to Belkin and what a difference. My devices are charging much faster and the cables are designed in such a way that they are less prone to the internal cable shearing. And they are half the price at least of the authentic apple product.

• Advertisement

basill wrote: »
    I was the biggest advocate for years about cheap USB sync cables, usually off ebay. Then had a run of bad ones that would have a 50/50 chance of being recognised by the respective apple device. After reading loads of tech info on the web I came to the conclusion that the cables had low grade copper cable that was restricting the flow. So I have changed my brand to Belkin and what a difference. My devices are charging much faster and the cables are designed in such a way that they are less prone to the internal cable shearing. And they are half the price at least of the authentic apple product.

I priced a Belkin lightening cable in Carphone warehouse - €25. Genuine Apple cable - €19. Go Figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Online is where the bargains are. Certainly not in the rip off Carphone warehouse.

€16.61 on Amazon - not a massive saving by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Aside from the standard debate about cheapo cables/adapters, I'd be surprised if the adapter does any more than charge. Most, if not all, lightning adapters don't carry audio, from what I've seen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I just unplug the phone before answering :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Dealz are stocking Lightening cables too. I'm pretty sure everything is €1.50 in those stores, so I assume the cables are that price.

Not sure what the story is with these cables anymore, but remember to buy at your own risk!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

The ones from Deals wont work when phone is on, but will charge when its off..

before ios7 they worked both

I just picked up a lightning cable in Dealz. What do you know - it charges the iphone 5s. No error messages or anything.

Result!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Anyone know if dealz have the old 30 pin as well?

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Anyone know if dealz have the old 30 pin as well?

I saw a multi phone USB - 30 pin, Nokia, micro and mini USB. Short cable - 8 inches or so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Can't seem to find a store with the 30 pin to lightning adaptor.
    Did anyone notice then on your travels around Dublin city centre?

Checked the €2 shop in George's street the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

massy086 wrote: »

That's due to a dodgy charger not a dodgy cable. Using a spurious cable with a genuine apple charger will not allow 240v to reach your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭funstuff

Can you still trade in the knock off chargers - have a good few lying around along with adapters - want to get two iphone 4 --> 5s adapters - one for sound system and other for car - thanks

funstuff wrote: »
    Can you still trade in the knock off chargers - have a good few lying around along with adapters - want to get two iphone 4 --> 5s adapters - one for sound system and other for car - thanks

Apple have a trade in scheme at the moment for the plugs. Drop in a knock off and they'll sellyou a genuine oone for 10 quid. Most of the premium resellers are participating ie.compub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Apple have a trade in scheme at the moment for the plugs. Drop in a knock off and they'll sellyou a genuine oone for 10 quid. Most of the premium resellers are participating ie.compub

Drop it where

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,904 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Apple USB Wall Charger:

Grant you, Apple pads some profit into their cables and accessories. I know. Shocker.

But so do these cheaper €2 cables and chargers.

That should set your mind racing. Even if €20 of that €30 is still just pure margin, thats still five times more expensive to produce than the €2 fake.

There are damned good reasons to avoid suspiciously cheap products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Drop it where

Seriously???? Do you reply before reading the whole post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Looks like I won't be buying cheap chargers no more! Is there any thing your ment too do too train your battery on the 5s when it arrives?

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Drop it where

I mentioned Compu B as a place participating in the scheme, there are others participating too.

Overheal wrote: »
    Apple USB Wall Charger:

Grant you, Apple pads some profit into their cables and accessories. I know. Shocker.

But so do these cheaper €2 cables and chargers.

That should set your mind racing. Even if €20 of that €30 is still just pure margin, thats still five times more expensive to produce than the €2 fake.

There are damned good reasons to avoid suspiciously cheap products.

I used to have a few of these cheap USB chargers until I saw the tear downs of the fake apple ones. I opened one myself and I was shocked to see how badly they were put together. One charger I opened had a gap of approx 2-3mm between a usb socket shield and the live pin on the plug. One fall could've brought those in contact giving the user a very bad shock!! Plus there was also a distinct lack of safety circuits inside. I opened an apple charger and the difference is immediately noticeable..

My opinion as am engineer, if you have one of these fake/cheap chargers get rid of them quick before they do harm.

Advertisement