Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

€2 now stocking lightning cables an adapters

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I mentioned Compu B as a place participating in the scheme, there are others participating too.

I used to have a few of these cheap USB chargers until I saw the tear downs of the fake apple ones. I opened one myself and I was shocked to see how badly they were put together. One charger I opened had a gap of approx 2-3mm between a usb socket shield and the live pin on the plug. One fall could've brought those in contact giving the user a very bad shock!! Plus there was also a distinct lack of safety circuits inside. I opened an apple charger and the difference is immediately noticeable..

My opinion as am engineer, if you have one of these fake/cheap chargers get rid of them quick before they do harm.

And compuB will give you an apple one then at a discounted rate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

MrMac84 wrote: »
    And compuB will give you an apple one then at a discounted rate?

Yeah. That's how it works. Cost is 10 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Regarding dodgy chargers I came across This as a recalled item in B&Q today.
    The item in the picture even looks charred on the earth pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭funstuff

Rang compub and they are no longer doing the dodgy charger trade in scheme - need 2 iphone 4--->iphone 5 adapters - one for sound system and one for car - but will cost me €58 :(

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

funstuff wrote: »
    Rang compub and they are no longer doing the dodgy charger trade in scheme - need 2 iphone 4--->iphone 5 adapters - one for sound system and one for car - but will cost me €58 :(

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

But the trade in was for the mains chargers, not for the lightening to 30 pin adaptor. :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭funstuff

They are taking no trade ins at the moment :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Alright who's the smartarse entrepreneur?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Alright who's the smartarse entrepreneur?

Caroline apparently :)

Bet she'll sell a few too. Plenty of gullible people out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭space2ground1

What other legit brands make the 5S cable or are apple ones really the only ones to trust? I need to buy a spare cable for it.

Also, is it safe to use my legit 4S adaptor with a new 5S cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I paid a lot of money for my iPhone - I wouldn't dream of using a substandard cable just to save a few quid.

• Advertisement

Piliger wrote: »
    I paid a lot of money for my iPhone - I wouldn't dream of using a substandard cable just to save a few quid.

I did with previous phones but only because i wanted extra long length on my charger. I'm going too order a new lightning lead from apple. Do apple do in car adaptors also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I did with previous phones but only because i wanted extra long length on my charger. I'm going too order a new lightning lead from apple. Do apple do in car adaptors also?

Get the griffin power jolt. Think apple sell it but tesco do for €29,99. Charges fairly quick as well

guil wrote: »
    Get the griffin power jolt. Think apple sell it but tesco do for €29,99. Charges fairly quick as well

Had a look there but it doesn't come with lightning adaptor only iPad style USB I'd have too order a spare lead too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Had a look there but it doesn't come with lightning adaptor only iPad style USB I'd have too order a spare lead too

Yes it does. I bought one on carphone warehouse in march and then in tesco only in September. There's 2 different ones.
    http://store.apple.com/ie/product/HB630ZM/A/griffin-powerjolt-se-with-lightning-connector?fnode=46

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

brophs wrote: »
    Aside from the standard debate about cheapo cables/adapters, I'd be surprised if the adapter does any more than charge. Most, if not all, lightning adapters don't carry audio, from what I've seen.

I was getting something else this morning and out of curiosity said I'd try the adapter. It doesn't appear to carry audio. I've tried it in three different docks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

brophs wrote: »
    I was getting something else this morning and out of curiosity said I'd try the adapter. It doesn't appear to carry audio. I've tried it in three different docks.

Lightning port on the iPhone doesn't carry analogue audio. The genuine Apple cables have a digital to analog Convertor. The lightning to 30 pin adaptor Aldo have a DAC and will work too, but they are as pricey as a genuine cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

I wanted a longer lightning cable for my ipad so i bought a retractable one, worked fine for about 7 months then one night i put the ipad beside the bed, about 20 min later a bad electrical smell filled the room, luckily i unplugged it in time, was crazy hot and the plastic around the lightning plug was melted, luckily no damage to the ipad but could have been way worse, lesson learned for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

digitaldr wrote: »
    I came across these in a Eurogeneral €2 shop today:

273179.JPG

273177.JPG

Didn't check the price but I'd imagine it would be no more than €2!

Didn't actually buy one as the last cheap cable I got wrecked my iPhone 5 lightning port - Apple replaced the phone:)

Hey sorry to bump an old thread! but I purchased the one you posted? Will this damage my iPad? and I can I leave this charge over night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Use at your own risk. Being made from thin cheap wire is likely that your iPad will charge very slowly.

Use at your own risk. Being made from thin cheap wire is likely that your iPad will charge very slowly.

Even with the official iPad plug?

• Advertisement

Yeah cable quality affects charging rate. I got a 2 metre long Belkin cable from Amazon for my iPad 3 - great quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

brijay wrote: »
    Even with the official iPad plug?

Yes. the cable is the main part. Why charge a 400+ device with a cheap cable that costs less than 1 percent of the device?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

The Apple lightning cables are shocking quality as well.

Have just been on the phone to send back 3 of them from my iPad Air and two iPad retina minis we bought around this time last year. All frayed in the usual place below where you plug it into the device.

My iPhone 5 cable is the same but they won't replace that because it's out of warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

I have the same frayed problems, painful stuff! Just bought a 2m one in compuB and he told me to keep the receipt as theres a year warranty, crazy how they know the cables will go to shît!

I read some threads on third party cheap cables not working as Apple have clamped down, but is a belkin cable (even high quality) not a third party cable and therefore shouls not work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I have the same frayed problems, painful stuff! Just bought a 2m one in compuB and he told me to keep the receipt as theres a year warranty, crazy how they know the cables will go to shît!

I read some threads on third party cheap cables not working as Apple have clamped down, but is a belkin cable (even high quality) not a third party cable and therefore shouls not work?

Belkin are authorised by Apple to make the cables so it'll work perfectly. I've had a 2 metre Belkin lightening cable for the last year and it's still perfect

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Never had a problem with a phone or iPad cable. Currently stands as have/had 7 devices. Wife has had/has 4, no problem there either. Just make sure they don't get tangled up or dragged around.

I can vouch for jtech cables too. Amazon own brand aren't bad either.

I can vouch for jtech cables too. Amazon own brand aren't bad either.

What the itech cables? In the pound shop

jtech cables - from Amazon. Forget the pound shops all the cables there are s*ite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

You just need to make sure the cable is MFi certified and you are good to go.

Advertisement