Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wish to set up website

Options
  • 25-09-2013 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi all, i know there are lots of websites out there that will have great tools but can anyone recommend, going on experience, a website that one can use to create own website for consultancy type company, i know nothing about host companies if anyone can recommend thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

WordPress and any one of the thousands of themes available. Lots and lots of tutorials available online on how to install WordPress and themes

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

cormee wrote: »
    WordPress and any one of the thousands of themes available. Lots and lots of tutorials available online on how to install WordPress and themes

Just make sure that you learn enough to ensure that your Wordpress host's installation, your theme and and 3rd party plugins you use are fully up to date, and kept that way.

If you don't have the technical aptitude to learn this, and time to do it, then save yourself some major headaches and pay someone else to do it, or use another simpler tool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

It really depends on what you need, but you really can't go wrong with a simple blog using Wordpress.com. No need for any updates, zero technical or hosting considerations - and you can literally be up and running in minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Atomico wrote: »
    It really depends on what you need, but you really can't go wrong with a simple blog using Wordpress.com. No need for any updates, zero technical or hosting considerations - and you can literally be up and running in minutes!

True.

But I've been told that it's troublesome if you decide you want to be blog.myBusiness.com rather than mybusiness.wordpress.com in a few months time once you have a bit of content and stuff set up.

I haven't tried it myself, but most Wordpress evangelists seem to advocate starting with a hosted solution, rather than usiing their hosting first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Try Serif's Webplus X6 http://www.serif.com/int/au/webplus/

It's drag and drop and requires no coding.

You can also buy customizable website templates very reasonably.
    Here's a selection of Professional Service ones http://www.serif.com/WebTemplates/Categories/Professional-Services/

Around £11 each

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Avantech

Depending on the complexity of the site, I would get a weeb development company to advise you and get you to purchase hosting of your own, Then pay them to install Wordpress and implement a theme for you on your hosted solution according to an agreed theme/design. Then get them to train you up on Wordpress if you are not good at assimilating online documents (as stated above - there are tons of resources).

It is definitely better and more professional to have your own hosted solution www.yourbusiness.com

If you need help in this area please PM me.

Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AaronDig

I would definitely go with WP as the other guys have said.

It should be fairly cheap to set up or you could set it up yourself.
    If you want to do it yourself give me a shout and I'll give you a hand its dead simple

Best of luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 rendy78f9b194

Hi all, i know there are lots of websites out there that will have great tools but can anyone recommend, going on experience, a website that one can use to create own website for consultancy type company, i know nothing about host companies if anyone can recommend thanks

maybey WP or jomla!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You can do this sort of thing :

http://www.itzwood.com/

with www.wix.com

I have set up a few WP sites over the last couple of months. I would be more than happy to help you out in person if you need it. WP is the way to go, it's very easy to use and set up and its free! I can drop out to you and give you a hand for an hour or two. Free of course but I wouldn't say no to a cup of tea. PM me and I'll give you my number

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

gctest50 wrote: »
    You can do this sort of thing :

http://www.itzwood.com/

with www.wix.com
    I wouldn't touch wix with a bargepole.

tricky D wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch wix with a bargepole.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I wouldn't either - if its a glorified catalog you want, you can do it with anything

Advertisement