Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Gas Fire & Electrician Recommendation

Options
  • 25-09-2013 7:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Thinking of removing our gas fire which we haven't used in years as we were advised not to and replacing it with an electric fire. I know I will have to get a RGI to remove the fire but does anyone know an electrician to install an electric one? Obviously since it was a gas fire there is no electricity near the fireplace so I assume the would need to pipe electricity from somewhere. I'm in charlesland, has anyone done this before?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Hi Audrey,

We are considering doing the same as we have heard that electric is "the way to go" these days. Do you have any idea why? I'm finding it difficult to google this one.

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It will cost more to run an electric heater than the gas fire (for the same heat output). However removal of the gas fire will mean that both of the room vents (that can make the room so drafty and cold) are not required. Following the sealing of a vent the electric heater may not need to be on as much as the gas fire in order to get the room the same temperature. This may lead to an overall cost saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Thanks, this is helpful info

Advertisement