Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a Lab hunt cover?

Options
  • 25-09-2013 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi guys I was wondering can labs hunt cover just like cocker and springer spaniels? Do they have the same ability to flush birds?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

Hi guys I was wondering can labs hunt cover just like cocker and springer spaniels? Do they have the same ability to flush birds?

Thank you in advance.
    Short answer yes ,no bother to them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I have a friend whose lab will hunt cover as good as any springer and the added bonus is that you can walk through the gap that he leaves in the ditch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭snipe02

Vizzy wrote: »
    I have a friend whose lab will hunt cover as good as any springer and the added bonus is that you can walk through the gap that he leaves in the ditch :)

What about rabbits can they hunt them as good just wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Hopefully! Bought a lab pup last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Rosahane

We have a Lab who is now 16 months old. Minimal number of field trial ancestors according to his papers, lots of show type wins.

He loves to hunt so we bring him through the woods on his morning walk and he usually puts up a pheasant and scatters a few rabbits and squirrels. Deep cover is no problem, he just crashes through it. You can usually tell where he is by the sound of falling trees :)

He swims like a fish and retrieves sticks and balls so I'm going to introduce him to a dummy with feathers and a starting pistol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭garyc007

iv a lab springer cross im training at the moment that im hoping will,though he doesnt seem to have the same drive yet im hoping it will come about when i start running him with my springers. either way id say hel be a good dog,he marks dummys very well and is coming on quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

love shooting with my friends lab there nose seems to be that much finer than the springer in my opinion . these bitchs would run cover and stay inside in anything but very slow thats the only thing i could knock them for

Advertisement