Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Council Relax Drinking By-laws for drinking outside

Options
  • 25-09-2013 8:55am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thejournal.ie/kilkenny-drinking-laws-1098812-Sep2013/
    The amended bye-laws will only affect certain times during specific events but there are still some who are unhappy with the decision.

So, first guesses at the "certain times" they'll allow it.
    - Cat Laughs
    - Arts Week
    - Hurling Events
    - Concerts

Its a step in the wrong direction in my view
    :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

tbh I think its a good move as it will free the guards from having to talk to every single person, look at the springsteen concert, nearly everyone had drinks on the street

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

part of me wants to say its a good thing but on teh other hand..what is the motivating reason behind this? Why is it absolutely necessary? Should we not encourage other things and just not focus on the booze all the time...

Rantan wrote: »
    part of me wants to say its a good thing but on teh other hand..what is the motivating reason behind this? Why is it absolutely necessary? Should we not encourage other things and just not focus on the booze all the time...

Well it's technically not illegal in Ireland to drink on the street, it's only the bye laws that make it a no no, so tbh it's just following the real law a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Hopefully this will allow the Christmas markets serve Gluwhein at least, think the laws around not drinking outside had something to do with it not being allowed at the last 2 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Ultimately integrating alcohol consumption, like on the continent, into general social occasions removes all excuses for reckless drinking and its consequences. I call it a maturing of Irish societies relationship with alcohol, it is possible to enjoy drink without abusing it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

catbear wrote: »
    Ultimately integrating alcohol consumption, like on the continent, into general social occasions removes all excuses for reckless drinking and its consequences. I call it a maturing of Irish societies relationship with alcohol, it is possible to enjoy drink without abusing it.

Nice idea, shame the Irish society and people in general in Ireland aren't mature enough to do that.

The mentality in Ireland for so many is you need to get **** faced to have a good night out, :(

Cabaal wrote: »
    Nice idea, shame the Irish society and people in general in Ireland aren't mature enough to do that.

The mentality in Ireland for so many is you need to get **** faced to have a good night out, :(

to be fair the relatively short drinking hours we have dont help. also the price of booze means people need to feel they've spent the money proper

Arawn wrote: »
    to be fair the relatively short drinking hours we have dont help. also the price of booze means people need to feel they've spent the money proper

dont quite agree regarding the hours...most town will have a bar with a late license somewhere and certainly a night club or two..easier to get a drink here in a pub at 12.00 or 1.00am than in the large parts of the Uk for example.

the uk with 24hr drinking??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Well it's technically not illegal in Ireland to drink on the street, it's only the bye laws that make it a no no, so tbh it's just following the real law a bit better
    Law being a highly technical subject I don't understand the point you seem to be struggling to make.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    ... Its a step in the wrong direction in my view
    :(
    I couldn't agree more. Kilkenny City Centre will now revert to being Piss, Vomit and Thuggery Central from Thursday to Sunday night. How many publicans are on the city council?

mathepac wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. Kilkenny City Centre will now revert to being Piss, Vomit and Thuggery Central from Thursday to Sunday night. How many publicans are on the city council?

It already is.

It already is.
    I thought I detected an improvement for a while with the stuff only up to my ankles rather than my knees. I have to admit though I haven't been in there on a week-end evening for some time. Mingling with butt-ugly people behaving in a butt-ugly manner is not my bag, man.

The improvements I saw are probably explained as more evidence of the Hawthorne effect.

mathepac wrote: »
    I thought I detected an improvement for a while with the stuff only up to my ankles rather than my knees. I have to admit though I haven't been in there on a week-end evening for some time. Mingling with butt-ugly people behaving in a butt-ugly manner is not my bag, man.

The improvements I saw are probably explained as more evidence of the Hawthorne effect.

Work in a bar, trust me its as **** as ever

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yeah because cheap drink and longer hours have really helped to sort out the awful drink culture in the UK.

Don't kid yourself, it's a society thing, it's nothing to do with price or hours... People have an awful unhealthy attitude to drink in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Ultimately integrating alcohol consumption, like on the continent, into general social occasions removes all excuses for reckless drinking and its consequences..
    Em... have you ever been to a wedding!?

the uk with 24hr drinking??

24hr licenses are rare enough ..most pubs close aound 11.00pm...then its into night clubs..not as many late bars in teh UK(well SCotland where I live anyway) as in Ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I presume we shall soon witness a great number of signs dotted around the city to tell people when they can and cannot drink, like the ones telling you how many spaces in the car parks.
    Big brother in reality, you may now drink, what about smoking?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I've seen this in action in the UK, during Euro '96 there was a park in the centre of Birmingham which was cordoned off so people could watch the matches on a big screen and drink tinnies. On Paddies day, I think the cops just give up on trying to do anything. Societies attitude to drink is what it is but if you treat people like kids they have a tendency to behave like kids.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

In all fairness the anti social drinking scene isnt that big in KK. In the years iv been here i havent really seen anything that i would be worried about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Compared to the late 80s, early 90s drinking in public isn't that big.

Drinking down the canal, Good times!

Compared to the late 80s, early 90s drinking in public isn't that big.

Drinking down the canal, Good times!

theres a question...do the kids these days still do the whole "kn&&ker drinking" thing or is that a thing of the past??

Have you ever pushed a buggy around Kilkenny? If the answer is yes! you will be aware of the problems facing anyone who attempts this feat.
    High street is reasonably plain sailing, try getting down to Dunnes, the steps in the slips are not easily negotiated, yes of course you have to go down to Keiron Street either by way of Rose Inn St or past Dores Butchers and then down to Keiron st, simple, er no not really, how do you get the buggy into Dunnes, you don't; have to go round to the car park entrance, though there are kind souls who will give you a lift down the stairs, not much chance coming up though.
    Coming past the Metropole, just take a look, not much can be done at this stage, perhaps they could knock it.
    Cobblestones look very olde worlde, it doesn't feel it pushing a buggy or wheelchair.
    Not mentioning names, but some of the restaurants are impossible to get in, unfortunately lifts are not compulsory.
    Ever tried crossing High St by Dores Butchers, motorists are not sure whether they should stop or grind you into the tarmac;
    Welcome mums and wheelchair pushers, we cater for everyone, don't we.
    Find a loo?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

What does any of that have to do with public drinking?

It doesn't it was supposed to be a new thread, perhaps the Mods can move it before we receive less positive responses, ha ha ha, sorry mate

Advertisement