Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grand Final 2013 - Go HAWKS!

• 25-09-2013 9:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭

Might as well stick up a thread for it.

Perth has been rather insufferable over the past week or two so fingers are firmly crossed that the bubble gets burst on Saturday :)

Bizarrely, Freo winning could turn out to be a good thing for West Coast as there's strong rumours that Alistair Clarkson will take over at the Eagles should Hawthorn lose.

Also, it's actually mind boggling how many Eagles fans are supporting the Dockers, claiming that WA solidarity is more important than rivalry. Sums up the small minded attitude of many in the state unfortunately, imagine a City/Liverpool fan buying a United scarf and cheering them on in the Champions League Final! :eek:

The only Freo player I'd like to see win the big one is Pav but that's not even remotely enough to sway me to the dark side.

Buddy to kick a bag please!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Mike Sheahan pulled that rumour out of his hole the other night. He did put across a good argument at the time but the backlash since makes me doubt it'll happen. West Coast may make a huge offer but I'm not sure he'll take it.

As for the fans thing, I live in Vic so I'm not sure how the rivaly is between WCE and Freo but is it really as hardcore as Liverpool-United? I mean, United and Liverpool fans would need to be seated in different areas during games, sections of fans singing nasty chants about the others, heavy police presence etc. AFL rivalries seem a lot friendlier to me. I would've thought WCE/Freo rivalry would be big for most of the season but most fans would rather see a premiership come to WA than to a Vic team? I could be very wrong about that though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

You're dreamin Xavi! Hawks are gonna wilt in the pressure cooker freo are gonna serve up :)

It might be horrible in Perth if you're a WC fan, but its awesome if you're a Dockers fan :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

As for the fans thing, I live in Vic so I'm not sure how the rivaly is between WCE and Freo but is it really as hardcore as Liverpool-United? I mean, United and Liverpool fans would need to be seated in different areas during games, sections of fans singing nasty chants about the others, heavy police presence etc. AFL rivalries seem a lot friendlier to me. I would've thought WCE/Freo rivalry would be big for most of the season but most fans would rather see a premiership come to WA than to a Vic team? I could be very wrong about that though!

It's a mixed bag. Between people I've spoken to and reading forums, there's some who couldn't bear a Freo win (3-0 is a lot better than 3-1 Premierships wise) and others who give it the whole WA solidarity thing.

There's definitely a bit of a different culture but on a personal level it's just wrong!

As for AFL rivalries being friendlier, there's exceptions like everything else. Collingwood/Essendon for example.
    Mackman wrote: »
    You're dreamin Xavi! Hawks are gonna wilt in the pressure cooker freo are gonna serve up :)

It might be horrible in Perth if you're a WC fan, but its awesome if you're a Dockers fan :D

Tbh, even if it was the Eagles I'd still find a lot of it terrible. An ambulance being repainted in the club's colours, gimme a break!

The Fockers supporters are too cocky after last week and it'll hopefully be the architect of the downfall, sure twas only half a Sydney team they beat ;)

Xavi6 wrote: »

Tbh, even if it was the Eagles I'd still find a lot of it terrible. An ambulance being repainted in the club's colours, gimme a break!

Sounding very bitter there Xavi, its Finals week, it's Freo's first GF, of course people are going to go a bit mad. Of course, I can see why it would be annoying to Weagles supporters.
    Woodside (One of Freo's major sponsors), had a float going down Adelaide Terrace the other day draped in purple and white with a band playing on the back :pac:

Just pull the blinds, turn off the TV, drape yourself in an Eagles flag and wait it out, it will all be over soon :)

As for the rivalry in Perth, I don't take it too seriously. A bit of banter is fun. Some people (a minority) take it way too far though, they have an unhealthy hatred for the other team and their supporters. I have heard stories of people seeking out opposition supporters to bash after a game. Scumbags.

Mackman wrote: »
    Sounding very bitter there Xavi, its Finals week, it's Freo's first GF, of course people are going to go a bit mad. Of course, I can see why it would be annoying to Weagles supporters.

It's what rivalry should be all about. I've spoken to plenty of Dockers who are proper sports fans and they've said that if it was the Eagles in the GF, like 2005 and 2006, there's not a hope they would be decked out in navy and yellow.

Rightly so imo. It's more the bandwagoning that irks me, but the Dockers aren't the first and won't be the last ones for that (see Dublin in the GAA over the past few weeks).
    Woodside (One of Freo's major sponsors), had a float going down Adelaide Terrace the other day draped in purple and white with a band playing on the back :pac:

I saw that alright, went out to get lunch and it was like the thing was following me around. Freo aside, the band were horrendous!
    Just pull the blinds, turn off the TV, drape yourself in an Eagles flag and wait it out, it will all be over soon :)

As for the rivalry in Perth, I don't take it too seriously. A bit of banter is fun. Some people (a minority) take it way too far though, they have an unhealthy hatred for the other team and their supporters. I have heard stories of people seeking out opposition supporters to bash after a game. Scumbags.

I'd never take it past hoping that they get a hammering, it's only sport after all, but for three hours tomorrow I'll be a Hawthorn supporter ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

:D Bogans on a float crowing the worst song in the AFL (and they're all fairly awful anyway). Possibly the single worst thing I've seen in nearly seven years here :pac:

The Irish really are taking over here. At the Prelim last weekend:

freo.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I think the Hawks will shade this one. Their finals experience, and all round better players should do enough. Freo have a superb game plan that the whole team buys into with their intense pressure on the ball carrier. They are defensively sound, but the Hawks I think have enough to get through them. It'll be a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :D Bogans on a float crowing the worst song in the AFL (and they're all fairly awful anyway). Possibly the single worst thing I've seen in nearly seven years here :pac:

Twas a bit of a cringefest in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

What time is this on Irish time? Really miss the AFL on TG4.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

What time is this on Irish time? Really miss the AFL on TG4.

coverage starts on ESPN at 5.30am. Eurosport and ESPN show weekly highlights as well as full games.

HAAAAAAWWWWWWTTTTHHHHOOOORRRNNN!!!!

Freo played one decent quarter and that's never going to be enough, Hawks were good value for it.

Couldn't suppress the chuckle when Ballantyne was shanking it twice at the end :D

Good effort by Freo, kicked themselves out if it though.
    We'll done to the Hawks, clearly the better team on the day.

:(

Advertisement