Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Training

Options
  • 25-09-2013 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭

Season's over in Ireland, no more tri's until April or May... so what's the best way to train over the winter? Six months seems a long time without any goal races, what do people do? Hit the pool, hit the turbo, try and bring down times in preparation for next year... or is there a better was to use the long dark winter months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Personally I'll be doing all of the above. If I can I'll do a few duathlons over the winter. These don't always work out though. Thinking I might do some XC for the craic too.

Masters galas are also good craic and a nice distraction over the winter

I'll be starting back training in October. The first couple of weeks will be unstructured and train once a day. Just easing back in to it. After that it will probably be 3 swims, 3 bikes and 3 or 4 runs a week. I need to add in some core work though as I neglected that last year. When reviewing my training for last season I found that I rarely, if ever, did all my bike sessions. They were either missed or cut short due to time constraints. Time management will be important too.

I'd also add, how do people structure their weeks to your questions.

Here's what I typically try to do
    M Swim & Run
    T Turbo
    W Swim & Run
    T Turbo
    F Swim & Run
    S Run
    S Bike

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SlowMe

Periodisation, baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

pgibbo wrote: »
    Here's what I typically try to do
    M Swim & Run
    T Turbo
    W Swim & Run
    T Turbo
    F Swim & Run
    S Run
    S Bike

Something like
    M R&S
    T B
    W S&R
    T S&B
    F R&S
    S B&R
    S B

If I can get that much done and stay healthy (already failing on that front, throat in bits :rolleyes: ) then it'll be a cracking winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

SlowMe wrote: »
    Periodisation, baby!

Reverse or classical?
    Polarised or not?
    Intermixed or not?

Where do you stand on recent suggestions (anecdotal from pros and evidence based) that periodisation is not the way to go?

(being a slight pr1ck I know but just seeding the conversation a bit more)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

no-one seems to be planning any rest days? is the thinking behind rest days flawed?

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    no-one seems to be planning any rest days? is the thinking behind rest days flawed?

Alot of people going in for active recovery. It depends on the person. Some need a rest day, some find rest days counter productive.

BTH and pgibbo are experienced athletes (think its safe to use that word here) so often best not to replicate directly what experienced people do (I know nothing about you so no offence intended).

I'll take rest days if and when I need them. And its not just training load that will influence that. As Tunney says, active recovery will be a big factor. At least two runs and one bike from my plan will be relatively easy sessions, and some weeks they'll be scrapped completely when I feel the need.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SlowMe

tunney wrote: »
    Reverse or classical?
    Polarised or not?
    Intermixed or not?

Where do you stand on recent suggestions (anecdotal from pros and evidence based) that periodisation is not the way to go?

(being a slight pr1ck I know but just seeding the conversation a bit more)

Yeah I know my one liner was a bit smart arsed but I think it's all about a PLAN. For 95% classical periodisation and some discipline (about rest as well as training intensity) would serve very well. I count myself in this too by the way.

I think you'd have to be at the pointy end and training in excess of 20 hours pw to consider any of the periodisation variances currently in style. For most of us operating in the 10 ish hour pw space a good plan that matches time available is the best thing to focus on building at this stage of the season.

Without meaning to criticise others contributions on what S/B/R sessions they are planning I think it is far more important to have a good grasp at types of session intensities that you are planning. That plus technique work and as @pgibbo mentioned core work and also rest are the keys to winter training IMHO

I'll also add that my "plan" hasn't yet been run past my new coach so its subject to change :D

Whats that? New coach? Do tell......

(I know nothing about you so no offence intended).

none taken, only asking to learn. no point in asking if you're going to be offended by answers....

• Advertisement

BTH wrote: »
    I'll also add that my "plan" hasn't yet been run past my new coach so its subject to change :D

Whats that? New coach? Do tell......

Heard that you were part of the Big Orange Cloud team next year. Rumour has it that its a team designed to promote racing in darkness and away from sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

That sounds interesting. Have you any links for discussions on that?

Will have to dig out, having kept my bibliography up to date since my I graduated from postgrad :)

When/if I find I will PM on. I think would be a bit much for this thread.

Meah, threads like this always go a long way to convincing me that despite enjoying training to my own beat I'd do so much better on a coached plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Will have to dig out, having kept my bibliography up to date since my I graduated from postgrad :)

When/if I find I will PM on. I think would be a bit much for this thread.

Is it possible to also get a copy (if you dont mind me asking), Im slightly lost at the moment. trying to get back to training after 5 months off and looking to see if the correct way back (if any) is to follow traditional methods or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Meah, threads like this always go a long way to convincing me that despite enjoying training to my own beat I'd do so much better on a coached plan

Having a plan is so much better. For years I've tipped away doing the 'right things' reading and practising everything I can get my hands on.

A coach, a good one, will see your potential from results and lay out a plan that will test you to your boundaries bringing you further than you ever thought you could go.

I'm learning to suffer properly and realise that the half assed efforts I've made in previous years training, while I felt good about them, they weren't anyway near what I'm capable of.

Yeah, watch out CW, I'm gunning for you!! ;)

(Again)

If you enjoy training that is the main thing!! If you enjoy it you will do it, get some basic structure in and you will fly!

Cheers Sean now you'll have me looking at coaches

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

There's a couple of lads I know who would be well worth running coaching ideals by. If you need help finding a coach that suits you I'm sure they would be happy to advise. Give me a shout PM / Twitter / Facebook / Pinterest / Google+ or just plain old ring me!! :D

Heard that you were part of the Big Orange Cloud team next year. Rumour has it that its a team designed to promote racing in darkness and away from sunlight.

Awesome new sponsor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Plan was to take 4 full weeks after lough key but getting itchy feet and feeling well rested so may do a few unstructured sessions next week.

Mon Mod Swim/ long easy Run
    Tue Easy turbo
    Wed Hard swim
    Thurs Mod Run/ Extremely hard turbo
    Fri Easy Swim
    Sat/Sun Outdoor long bike & Hard run/race (interchangeable days)

Recovery days will be days off after drinking

Sleep min 7.5hrs a night (10.30-6am)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

Plan was to take 4 full weeks after lough key but getting itchy feet and feeling well rested so may do a few unstructured sessions next week.

Mon Mod Swim/ long easy Run
    Tue Easy turbo
    Wed Hard swim
    Thurs Mod Run/ Extremely hard turbo
    Fri Easy Swim
    Sat/Sun Outdoor long bike & Hard run/race (interchangeable days)

Recovery days will be days off after drinking

Sleep min 7.5hrs a night (10.30-6am)

LOVE that recovery days plan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Oh bring on Winter! Ive not yet done my 2013 A race!!

Ill be taking 2 weeks off of little or nothing after Saturday week, then 2 to 3 weeks unstructured where ill do something everyday, put in some intensity whenever i feel like it (none if i feel like it) and get back to structured sessions by start of November. One key thing is i am going to maintain swimming at the level im at now as i finally have my times/100 where i want them to stay and get better for next year, i find it takes me an age to get that back if i neglect it!

Ive no set plans for 2014 yet though so that can change things. Toying with a top 10 NS type goal as i dont see myself racing abroad next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

Are you actually joining B2R?

Are you actually joining B2R?

Who, Tunney or me? Either way the answer is no. I'm moving to Galway (well, my wife is, I hope to be following her soon), so the B2R setup of compulsory attendance at training sessions would be a little time consuming.

Who, Tunney or me? Either way the answer is no. I'm moving to Galway (well, my wife is, I hope to be following her soon), so the B2R setup of compulsory attendance at training sessions would be a little time consuming.

And I don't fit in the endless pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

I started back this week , dont do tri i do duathlons and so my season starts in jan and normally i do my last race in june/july, mainly short distances my longest this year was 5/20/5. This year was my second year doing them and i did twice as many races as in my first year, really enjoy it and love the buzz i get during and after the races. Anyway i hope to train 4/5 times a week over the winter and work a bit more on my core.
    Plan is
    M Bootcamp circuits and core
    T Chill
    W Bootcamp
    T Run
    F Long run
    Sat or Sun or both Cycle
    During the course of say late nov early dec i will prob drop a core class and get in some running or cycling, I also hope to add in a lot more streching over the winter, maybe a bit of the yoga!
    As you can see i'm not a pro or anything of the sort but thats my 2pence worth. Anyway best of luck to all with thier winter training and good luck for 2014!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

15 minute challenge anyone? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

So Euge will you be joining a club out West or sticking with ur crowd ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 If_Only

Mossym your location shows Killaloe so this might be of interest to you.

http://www.gotri.ie/

The basic weekly sessions will look something like this …
    Mon- am swim: pm turbo – Snc <
    Tuesday pm run group – Shannon- limerick – possibly killaloe
    Wednesday am swim pm turbo/run group -
    Thursday am swim pm ?
    Friday am swim pm turbo core
    Saturday am swim am run (every second weekend sat run to cratloe)
    Sunday am bike session

* I am a member of GoTri .

Advertisement