Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Training

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

So Euge will you be joining a club out West or sticking with ur crowd ?

That's still to be confirmed, so I'm holding off on saying anything for now. :D :pac: :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

BTH wrote: »
    That's still to be confirmed, so I'm holding off on saying anything for now. :D :pac: :cool:

Contract negotiations are at a critical stage just now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

pgibbo wrote: »

Men in black suits spotted outside the club training ground last night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

pgibbo wrote: »

Predator already have a top class ginger (shadowman winner) so they will have no need of him. Ronanmac is the king of gingers in Trisport so its just Tri Lakes or Galway Tri for you my friend

Men in black suits spotted outside the club training ground last night :)

Sky Sports news will be first to break the big news :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

catweazle wrote: »
    Predator already have a top class ginger (shadowman winner) so they will have no need of him. Ronanmac is the king of gingers in Trisport so its just Tri Lakes or Galway Tri for you my friend

Unless the Phoenix arises in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Or will 3D expand out west??? I think Pulse did that a while ago? Mayo?

HA, yeah, and what, get coached by Tunney? And follow him nutrition plan as well? :p
    ray o wrote: »

All will be revealed (as if anyone actually gives a toss)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

HA, yeah, and what, get coached by Tunney? And follow him nutrition plan as well? :p

I am not one of the club coaches. We have qualified swim coaches, TI and BTF coaches.

My goal for next year will be to put a certain ginger back in his box.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

tunney wrote: »
    I am not one of the club coaches. We have qualified swim coaches, TI and BTF coaches.

My goal for next year will be to put a certain ginger back in his box.

Where are ye based?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

If_Only wrote: »
    Mossym your location shows Killaloe so this might be of interest to you.

http://www.gotri.ie/

The basic weekly sessions will look something like this …
    Mon- am swim: pm turbo – Snc <
    Tuesday pm run group – Shannon- limerick – possibly killaloe
    Wednesday am swim pm turbo/run group -
    Thursday am swim pm ?
    Friday am swim pm turbo core
    Saturday am swim am run (every second weekend sat run to cratloe)
    Sunday am bike session

* I am a member of GoTri .

cheers for that. have looked at go tri a good few times as they are so close. My only issue is family commitments means i train at certain times(lunchtimes, after the little one goes to bed), and i couldn't commit to all those sessions, i;d need the option of converting at least half those to personal sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

ray o wrote: »

Yep changed to Westport Tri Club last year or was it 2011? One or the other. Was Pulse West in 2010 anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Bambaata wrote: »
    One key thing is i am going to maintain swimming at the level im at now as i finally have my times/100 where i want them to stay and get better for next year, i find it takes me an age to get that back if i neglect it!

What do you reckon it takes to maintain swim form over winter, 3 sessions a week? I find any less and I start going backwards. 4 sessions and I see improvements (but that 4th is usually time taken from somewhere else that suffers)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

Starting back on the 7th of next month but have no idea whats in store for me

I believe its a lot of swimming, gym and core

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    What do you reckon it takes to maintain swim form over winter, 3 sessions a week? I find any less and I start going backwards. 4 sessions and I see improvements (but that 4th is usually time taken from somewhere else that suffers)

For me 3 sessions per week are needed to keep good form; I'd take 3 well structured short sessions over two longer ones. If i can manage 3 seasions I try for 1 x technique work; 1 x speed work; and 1 x endurance swim. A 4th session really gives benefits IMO but like you say potentially at the expense of other training.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

griffin100 wrote: »
    For me 3 sessions per week are needed to keep good form

Yikes. Where do you find the time? I think I did 3 sessions one week in June this year... maybe. What do you ramp it up to in summer??

Seriously though, would one session a week be enough to keep your technique together over the winter months? I'm really hoping someone will say yes here so that I can justify my decision to can the training and hit the booze. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Kurt Godel wrote: »

1 just to stem the loss of form. Basic maintenance 1*2k tech and 1*2k intervals. 3*3k a week is loads to develop enough for tri. Did me no harm. 4th session a week will improve your swim less than the improvement an extra hour of pain on the turbo will do for your bike split and overall tri position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

A bit like Mossym I'm a little lost at the moment..have been training for the last 2 years for tri on my own and have competed in completed many races...I have no structured training plan due to the pattern of my working shift...5 cycle shift...12hr days and 12hr nights across weekends and days and having 4 young kids at home...Just wondering would anyone know of a good (cheap) coach around the Newport/Limerick area that could design a program for me around my needs...Likewise I am thinking of joining a club for next season...my 3 options are ....Limerick tri club (i use U.L. for swims), Boru tri club or GoTri... suggestions?? I live in Newport!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Trig1 wrote: »
    A bit like Mossym I'm a little lost at the moment..have been training for the last 2 years for tri on my own and have competed in completed many races...I have no structured training plan due to the pattern of my working shift...5 cycle shift...12hr days and 12hr nights across weekends and days and having 4 young kids at home...Just wondering would anyone know of a good (cheap) coach around the Newport/Limerick area that could design a program for me around my needs...Likewise I am thinking of joining a club for next season...my 3 options are ....Limerick tri club (i use U.L. for swims), Boru tri club or GoTri... suggestions?? I live in Newport!

TI have updated there site to include qualified coaches and the area they are in.
    These are level 1 coaches but I know at least 4/5 are level 2 qualified.

Ceepo wrote: »
    TI have updated there site to include qualified coaches and the area they are in.

Its also far from a complete list. Most clubs will have a number of qualified coaches. I believe there's about 10in my club alone.

• Advertisement

cheers for that, might have a look there as well.

seems strange to be talking about winter training, i still have an oly left first week of nov in lanzarote

Trig1 wrote: »
    ....Limerick tri club (i use U.L. for swims), Boru tri club or GoTri... suggestions?? I live in Newport!

pm sent

Its also far from a complete list. Most clubs will have a number of qualified coaches. I believe there's about 10in my club alone.

Agreed.
    I know there were some issues with "boxes not been ticked" for some.
    Also the wheels move slowly up around them offices. Doesn't help matters.

Putting the list up is a step in the right direction. Imo

• Registered Users Posts: 13 If_Only

mossym wrote: »
    cheers for that. have looked at go tri a good few times as they are so close. My only issue is family commitments means i train at certain times(lunchtimes, after the little one goes to bed), and i couldn't commit to all those sessions, i;d need the option of converting at least half those to personal sessions.

I'm the same with family commitments and that with 3 smallies I pick and chose the sessions that suit me best and do the rest on my own time. I stick to a structured program of work and fit it into my week.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Can find list of clubs but no list of coaches, looking for tri coach for swimming first and then cycle/running. Anyone can recommend anyone in Kildare/Naas areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

JEmily wrote: »
    Can find list of clubs but no list of coaches, looking for tri coach for swimming first and then cycle/running. Anyone can recommend anyone in Kildare/Naas areas?

Can you pm me?

JEmily wrote: »

If you look in Coaching/Nutritional section a there is a list of coaches there.
    Also know 1 or 2 more that are not on that list. I can pm you if you want
    Just let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Something for you Tri's to consider

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86840737#post86840737

Post 32...

Don't do tri's myself just train in pool with a masters club and do sea swims during summer months......gym twice a week and pool mainly 3/4 times a week.

Hoping to step it up next year....:)

Advertisement