Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double charge on visa debit card

Options
  • 25-09-2013 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

I seem to have been charged twice at a petrol station yesterday, the lady said it did not go through the first time, but its shown twice on my online banking. What do I need to do to remedy this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Bank of Ireland: Michelle

Hi clint_eastman,

This sounds like it may be shadow posting. This can occur if a card payment is cancelled or voided at a point of sale after we have authorised it, it can take up to five working days to correct on the system and be removed from your account. This can also occur if the retailer requests that you enter your PIN a second time.

You should see one of the transactions fully update on your account, the second one will not update and will keep moving to the next working day until it eventually falls off. If the two transactions fully update you need to contact the retailer for a refund.

Thanks
    Michelle 

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

Hi clint_eastman,

This sounds like it may be shadow posting. This can occur if a card payment is cancelled or voided at a point of sale after we have authorised it, it can take up to five working days to correct on the system and be removed from your account. This can also occur if the retailer requests that you enter your PIN a second time.

You should see one of the transactions fully update on your account, the second one will not update and will keep moving to the next working day until it eventually falls off. If the two transactions fully update you need to contact the retailer for a refund.

Thanks
    Michelle 
    Thanks, I'll wait and see then...

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Hi clint_eastman,

Thanks
    Michelle 
    So, how long does it take to 'fall off'?  have a similar situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

chancer12 wrote: »
    Hi clint_eastman,

Thanks
    Michelle 
    So, how long does it take to 'fall off'?  have a similar situation
    Hi There, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here today. Generally if there is an error with a payment being processed on your card it can appear as a pending transaction for up to 5 working days before being automatically rectified on the account. 

As soon as you can no longer see the transaction on the account this will have been rectified for you. 

We hope this helps to explain things further for you, have a nice day. 

Thanks Jen

Advertisement