Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairest way to split rent.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

look at it this way, you see those advertisements on daft.ie that say no couples? Thats there for a reason it VERY rarly works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

There used to be a formula for this floating around that worked quite well.

It was something like you measure all the areas that everyone shares (kitchen, bathroom, hallways, sitting room). Then you measure all the areas you have for your exclusive use (in your case bedroom + boxroom, in their case : half a bedroom each). Then everyones rent is a portion based on what they have access to. It was something like

Shared areas - 500sqft
    bedroom 1 - 120sqft
    bedroom 2 - 120sqft
    bedroom 3 - 50sqft

P1 - (you) 670
    P2 560
    P3 560
    Total - 1790

You - (670/1790) * E900 - E337
    Him and Her - (560/1790) *E900 - E281 each

Or if measuring the house is a bit over involved, maybe try this: http://splitwise.com/calculators/rent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Then you can block her staying there at any time that it doesn't suit you but if her name goes on the lease there is nothing you can do.

I dont want to be nasty about it. Hes still my friend I just want a fair deal and less noise at night which is not too much to ask for. We got a pretty good deal with the house so I would not be to happy being forced out.

There used to be a formula for this floating around that worked quite well.

It was something like you measure all the areas that everyone shares (kitchen, bathroom, hallways, sitting room). Then you measure all the areas you have for your exclusive use (in your case bedroom + boxroom, in their case : half a bedroom each). Then everyones rent is a portion based on what they have access to. It was something like

Shared areas - 500sqft
    bedroom 1 - 120sqft
    bedroom 2 - 120sqft
    bedroom 3 - 50sqft

P1 - (you) 670
    P2 560
    P3 560
    Total - 1790

You - (670/1790) * E900 - E337
    Him and Her - (560/1790) *E900 - E281 each

Or if measuring the house is a bit over involved, maybe try this: http://splitwise.com/calculators/rent

I had a quick look at that. It does not factor in that there is one person in two rooms. Ill chat with them tonight and hammer something out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

from experience, move out now while you're all still mates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭petecork

Potatoeman wrote: »
    I had a quick look at that. It does not factor in that there is one person in two rooms. Ill chat with them tonight and hammer something out.

i think it does,

if it was 2 people in 2 rooms your total would be 500+500+120+50 but instead you are just paying for 1 persons use of the shared areas (500+120+50)

petecork wrote: »
    i think it does,

if it was 2 people in 2 rooms your total would be 500+500+120+50 but instead you are just paying for 1 persons use of the shared areas (500+120+50)

I mean the site. There is an option for people sharing a room but no option for one person with two rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭petecork

I mean the site. There is an option for people sharing a room but no option for one person with two rooms.
    sorry i misunderstood

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I think the notion of reversing the rent allocation is very fair, you pay 4/9 ths including the box-room, they pay 5/9 ths.

On the utilities though, if they are in the house most of the day every day, with winter coming in I think they need to pick up 75-80% of the utilities (electricity, heating, broadband, TV licence, etc.) as they will be making greater use of them than you.

I don't know the food arrangements, but I suggest you might consider flying solo on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Treat it as a two bed house, with your bedroom as a very generously sized room with a large walk in closet.

(Effectively that's what the box room is kinda doing for you)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

subway wrote: »
    from experience, move out now while you're all still mates.

Either this, or put your foot down and say that if he wants to share with his girlfriend they can get their own place and you get someone else in.

When a couple is involved they tend to commandeer the common areas and kitchen, and it won't be long before the "can you stay out until late on Friday, we're having a night in" and "can you wash up we need that pan" etc. starts.

Advertisement