Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to move to a bigger littertray?

• 25-09-2013 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi, owner of a 2.5 month tabby angel here. :)

Just wondering when I can move him to the bigger adult-sized litter tray? He's quite happy to use his smaller litter tray at the moment. But, before he relieves(!) himself, he kicks a lot of litter out of the tray in a sand-digging motion (even though I don't put too much litter in the tray) and when he's finished, he spends an awful lot of time scratching on the newspaper which I lay under the trays to avoid mess (I think this is his attempt at covering his poo) and eventually goes into the litter tray and covers it with the litter.

I don't mind cleaning after him at all since he is my baby :D

But I'm just wondering whether this is because the littertray isn't big enough for him?

I read somewhere that the tray should be at least 1.5 times of his size and he is still a kitten and when he sits down, there's still a lot of room left in the tray - could probably fit another kitten there.

He has two trays and he does the same on both of them. Is this him just being a baby he is? :)

When did you move your kitties to a bigger tray?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

There's no reason to wait. :)

A kitten will use a big litter tray as readily as a small one. And it will be far easier for you to keep clean. When it comes to litter trays (and cat carriers, incidentally) always go as big as you can. There's a good selection on Zooplus. You don't tend to find the bigger trays in the petshops. Except Maxi Zoo - I splurged on an XXL one from there for when we relocate ferals to farms and the litter won't be changed out every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JaneeMack

Oh wow, I didn't know! I thought he wouldn't be able to go into the tray cuz the bigger sized ones seem to have tall walls!

Would you put a tray cover on? I can understand that they come with filters and what not but is it necessary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Lots of debate on this one going on in another thread, currently!

Personally I've never bothered with hoods. Or trays with filters in them (haven't seen them on sale in Ireland) but everyone does what works for them!

Advertisement