Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genoese sponge.

Options
  • 25-09-2013 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

I made my first genoese sponge last night, spurred by our bake off.
    I was very pleased with it, filled the tin, but then dipped a bit in the middle when i left it to cool. Went kind of saucer shaped .
    I am wondering (I who have given up trying to make fatless sponge years ago because they always ended up like biscuits, so I should be satisfied now) why the sponge has dipped in the middle?
    It had a spring when I tested for doneness, the knitting needle came out clean. Would it have been the temperature?
    Anyway I split the cake, filled it with cream and berries and slathered the top and sides with more cream. I have to say it tasted better this morning out of the fridge for breakfast than it did last night. Think I overdid the cream though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

If it sank it was underbaked in the middle. Probably needed just another minute or two in the oven. Sometimes when I've baked cakes they feel springy, skewer will come out clean, and then they'll fall a bit when I take them out. Next time I'd test it like you did and then just give it another minute or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Ok, thank you for this. I'll do that and see how it goes next time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Madiller29

yes defo undercooked slightly, give more time and if you want a flat surface turn the cake upside down onto a cooling rack for 10-15 mins

Well, I had another go.
    I am pleased with the texture, I filled it with pastry creme to balance the dryness. Not really into soaking with syrup.
    HOWevver, it sank a little in the oven. Probably because I turned the heat down a wee bit as I thought it was browning too quickly.
    Also, did I say earlier that I put a four egg mixture in a 20cm tin and split the cake when cooked?
    I suppose I should try with two sandwich tins and see how they turn out. For the moment I will persist with the single cake,

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    For the moment I will persist with the single cake,

Why? You'll get a better bake in two tins and less chance of it sinking.

• Advertisement

I don't want to give up yet on the single cake. I'll try once or twice more before I do them separately. I'm stubborn😁

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Madiller29

you cant disturb the sponge until it is fully cooked or it will never work, and stick to making one sponge and cutting it in half is my recommendation. you should be cooking it at 150'c for 30-40 mins for an 8" round sponge cake

Madiller29 wrote: »
    you cant disturb the sponge until it is fully cooked or it will never work, and stick to making one sponge and cutting it in half is my recommendation. you should be cooking it at 150'c for 30-40 mins for an 8" round sponge cake

Why out of interest?

Advertisement