Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things looking good in waterford.

Options
  • 25-09-2013 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I will thread slowly softly and quietly into this one, I suppose this could be like a reasons to be positive thing so here goes.

Ive notice lately there seems to be a lot of building work starting in waterford which has to be a good sign for the local economy right?

Theres the new Fire Brigade station starting on the kilbarry road.
    Waterford Crystal work has also started.
    The Maxol just down from waterford crystal beside aldi is being completely rebuilt the eddie rockets is being rebuilt.

There also seems to be major engineering work taking place around the city where the stream that runs near advance pit stop is and pc world etc is being reinforced with metal girders all the way along its flow, big work near tesco poleberry.

There also seems to be dare I say a sneak in the property market at least on decent houses, ive been viewing houses with my friend who is looking to buy and there has been change, houses in grange manor have been sold before we even got to see them, there was also the second lot of houses for sale in meadow bank, as I expected the sellers created a demand and a frenzi and the released another set of houses to keep up demand, when the show house was being viewed there were 10 people waiting outside to view it, the price was also higher, they wanted 72 or 73, 000 the people that were there started to bid and it eventually rose to over 90, 000. (Cant see why) but it seems people are tired of waiting now and the desire to own a house is still there.

Anyway it nice to see demand back in the market and building work that needs to be done getting done and hopefully getting people off the dole and back to work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

You could have saved a lot of time here by just posting in the thread about The Phoenix Column in the news and star because that's what you have basically rehashed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

You could have saved a lot of time here by just posting in the thread about The Phoenix Column in the news and star because that's what you have basically rehashed here.

Jeez, come on DP, cheer up, we all know its not rosy....down with positivity:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Whats happening with the Waterford Crystal site? I presume you're referring to the Cork Road site also?

In relation to property, there have been more deals - I think a 15% increase, taking place in Waterford in 2013. Despite this, prices have continued to fall.

In the first six months of 2013, there were only 22 new homes sold in the entire county, 31% down on 2012 figures. 258 was the overall amount of properties sold in the first six months, which puts us in the same bracket as Clare and Donegal in terms of activity.

This daft.ie report from August 2013 shows an interesting contrast in rents between Dublin, which is taking off again, and Waterford, which is certainly not.

http://www.daft.ie/report/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Can't you atleast have one positive thread about happenings in Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Personal insolvency bill = sale of second properties = massive fall once again in properties.

Expect that for the next 6 years.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Can't you atleast have one positive thread about happenings in Waterford?

I think there are many positive threads. However, I don't think it would be fair to allow people to start claiming that the Waterford property market is on the up in the absence of some of the key evidence.

As another poster has mentioned, there will be a lot of investment properties arriving on the market in the coming years also, via the Personal Insolvancy Bill. Banks are looking for quick sales on a lot of these properties, which will further deflate the market.

If there is any positive at least some of those building projects will pay for a few families Christmas this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

A lot of Waterford shops are repainting their shop fronts,
    The quays have taken a good leap forward and are starting to look ok again.
    The work in the old crystal building is interesting, Hartley people are advertising 90 jobs for a call center.
    Makes me wonder is there good news on the job fronts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Can we not bash the city council?:(

Sad thread, we don't like good news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

This day 3 months will be Christmas :D

hopefully the quay will be finished and winterval will be looking great

next year nypro will be opening...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Wow I can see why waterford is suffering so much when people have a certain mentality.

Firstly I don't read the phoenix magazine so I don't get that referance.
    Second Im writing from observation and personal anecdotal evidence. There were over ten people outside a show house in meadow bank of all place and a bidding war took place between those people with the house eventually selling for over 90, 000.

Yes waterford isnt dublin so you cant say like for like and what I'm talking about is what has happened in the past weeks, daft release figures every 2 weeks do they? We went to see a house in grange manor and we were called twice to say houses were sold before we got there. I'm not saying its over I'm merely pointing to some what looks like nice positive changes.

Anybody know what the reason behind the engineering works is around the city? Erosion?

Theres a nice few jobs going on and id like to point out those positive signs instead of saying yeah that shop is closing and that shop is closing, perpetual misery.

• Advertisement

Nypd wrote: »
    A lot of Waterford shops are repainting their shop fronts,
    The quays have taken a good leap forward and are starting to look ok again.
    The work in the old crystal building is interesting, Hartley people are advertising 90 jobs for a call center.
    Makes me wonder is there good news on the job fronts.

I also heard that the main crystal building was being turned into offices for a call centre by someone working there but that could just be waffle, but they are doing prep work on the show room section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Wow I can see why waterford is suffering so much when people have a certain mentality.

Second Im writing from observation and personal anecdotal evidence. There were over ten people outside a show house in meadow bank of all place and a bidding war took place between those people with the house eventually selling for over 90, 000.

Yes waterford isnt dublin so you cant say like for like and what I'm talking about is what has happened in the past weeks, daft release figures every 2 weeks do they? We went to see a house in grange manor and we were called twice to say houses were sold before we got there. I'm not saying its over I'm merely pointing to some what looks like nice positive changes.

Anybody know what the reason behind the engineering works is around the city? Erosion?

Theres a nice few jobs going on and id like to point out those positive signs instead of saying yeah that shop is closing and that shop is closing, perpetual misery.

Those are flood defences. The precast stonework down Waterside looks good. In fairness to the City Council (or OPW?) it is years now since we witnessed flooding on the Quays, Park Road and Waterside.

Somebody told me that after the works there will be footpaths (existing and constructed) that will go from Scotch Quay to the Eco park, which would be a decent stroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Those are flood defences. The precast stonework down Waterside looks good. In fairness to the City Council (or OPW?) it is years now since we witnessed flooding on the Quays, Park Road and Waterside.

Somebody told me that after the works there will be footpaths (existing and constructed) that will go from Scotch Quay to the Eco park, which would be a decent stroll.

This piece is almost a year old but construction time was projected to be 2 years so still relevant

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/1023/world/final-phase-of-waterford-flood-relief-scheme-begins-211626.html

Yeah, fair play to you. I'm not trying to be hugely negative, but I can't allow myself to overlook the facts, as opposed to observations and anecdotal evidence. Daft release those type of reports every quarter, which is generally the standard for information of that nature. A 2 week window would be far too short a window to be making projections upon.

Also, in relation to projects like Meadowbank, what they basically did was to replicate an auction scenario, not a 'bidding war'. You start with an attractive opening price to generate interest, and then build momentum through the bidding.

During the Celtic Tiger and subsequent boom from 2003-2008, we had people like Bertie Ahern and Charlie McCreevy who jumped down the throat of anyone who expressed anything but blind faith in the economy and the property bubble, who were accused of "talking us into a recession". Don't be too hasty to slate people who aren't 100% positive about everything!

I better step out of this thread, or I'll drive people to drink!

hardybuck wrote: »
    Yeah, fair play to you. I'm not trying to be hugely negative, but I can't allow myself to overlook the facts, as opposed to observations and anecdotal evidence. Daft release those type of reports every quarter, which is generally the standard for information of that nature. A 2 week window would be far too short a window to be making projections upon.

Also, in relation to projects like Meadowbank, what they basically did was to replicate an auction scenario, not a 'bidding war'. You start with an attractive opening price to generate interest, and then build momentum through the bidding.

During the Celtic Tiger and subsequent boom from 2003-2008, we had people like Bertie Ahern and Charlie McCreevy who jumped down the throat of anyone who expressed anything but blind faith in the economy and the property bubble, who were accused of "talking us into a recession". Don't be too hasty to slate people who aren't 100% positive about everything!

i dont think anyone here is 100% positive about everything. There are some good things happening and there is little negative about the amazing some positives eg ongoing transformation of the VT, very high quality flood works etc so i dont think issue here is over-positivity, there is certainly overly negative people on here though. I consider myself (hopefully:D) a positive cynic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Max Powers wrote: »
    a positive cynic

Only for the optimist the pessimist would never know how happy he wasn't.:pac:

No problem, your entitled to your opinion and debate it without being criticized on a personal level, not that ive seen it yet. I would be fully aware of the tactic they used in meadowbank and I called it with a friend when I realised they were only releasing ten houses at first for sale, have to complement the people who did that job but it worked to a T. Regarding other houses I can only say it as I see it regarding a few houses that were sold before we got there. I think theres choice and its obviously the decent ones that Re moving quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I'm not sure if this is better news for us or just that things are even worse in Limerick but here is an interesting comment in todays IT from the head of NAMA, John Mulcahy:

On Ireland, Mr Mulcahy said the property market is picking up. “There are grounds for optimism and certainly there’s a huge resurgence of interest from international investors. There is a body of international capital that buys the Irish story and thinks this is a good place to go.”

He suggested that the recovery will begin in Dublin and spread to Galway, Cork, Waterford and Limerick in that order."

Possibly this would be some form of M9 dividend, which is a huge plus for us. I still can't get the grin off my face as I speed down that road at 2 Kms a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

No problem, your entitled to your opinion and debate it without being criticized on a personal level, not that ive seen it yet. I would be fully aware of the tactic they used in meadowbank and I called it with a friend when I realised they were only releasing ten houses at first for sale, have to complement the people who did that job but it worked to a T. Regarding other houses I can only say it as I see it regarding a few houses that were sold before we got there. I think theres choice and its obviously the decent ones that Re moving quicker.

The property market outside Dublin is a dead duck for several reasons.

* Banks won't lend - so no money available for purchases.

* Buyers are now, in the main, cash buyers. Speculators, investors, etc.

* A house is only worth what someone wants to pay for it.

No amount of wishing will make a "recovery" happen. Ever. There's a house on Daft in Dunmore East (with 18 acres of land) for €350k. Kinda says it all really.

7upfree wrote: »
    The property market outside Dublin is a dead duck for several reasons.

* Banks won't lend - so no money available for purchases.

* Buyers are now, in the main, cash buyers. Speculators, investors, etc.

* A house is only worth what someone wants to pay for it.

No amount of wishing will make a "recovery" happen. Ever. There's a house on Daft in Dunmore East (with 18 acres of land) for €350k. Kinda says it all really.

Just for arguements sake because you said it can you tell me what kind of condition that house is in? Is it liveable? Does it need modernisation? Iike if I know someone looking to buy a house near the city who has mortgage approval has a partner at home with kids that house in dunmore won't be the right house for them, thats sometimes why certain houses sell before others theres always a reason.

I know its in dublin but theres a lot of jobs announced today which is good for ireland on a whole and hopefully will attract further investment, lets look up a bit instead of looking down all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

I also heard that the main crystal building was being turned into offices for a call centre by someone working there but that could just be waffle, but they are doing prep work on the show room section.

I heard that Sunlife financial are moving into the offices there. I think its new jobs on top if the 2 places they have on the estate.

Just for arguements sake because you said it can you tell me what kind of condition that house is in? Is it liveable? Does it need modernisation?

I think we can all agree that is is liveable.......

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=727985

The prices vary on two sites. One says €395k with 18 acres. This one is €375k with 13 acres. If I only had the money.......:o

I think we can all agree that is is liveable.......

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=727985

The prices vary on two sites. One says €395k with 18 acres. This one is €375k with 13 acres. If I only had the money.......:o

7upfree, you need a night out, everything doesnt have to be so miserable. We all know property has taken a massive dive, what most people have done now is accepted that, moving on if they can, trying their best to look forward, stopped spreading negative stories (that everyone knows) of negative equity, 'i know a fella who bought house for xxxx now its worth half that'.

7upfree, you need a night out, everything doesnt have to be so miserable. We all know property has taken a massive dive, what most people have done now is accepted that, moving on if they can, trying their best to look forward, stopped spreading negative stories (that everyone knows) of negative equity, 'i know a fella who bought house for xxxx now its worth half that'.

I think there is danger of talking ourselves into further recession, waterford is making a real effort and should be commended for it.

I think there is danger of talking ourselves into further recession, waterford is making a real effort and should be commended for it.

Were you a Fianna Fail voter!?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

waterford is making a real effort and should be commended for it.

I think your right.. theres loads out there in Waterford trying to make an effort.. then of course theres the nay sayers, they love jumping on bandwagons and saying how bad things are.. I think its just waterfords mentality.

Were you a Fianna Fail voter!?

Whats your angenda by asking such a question? Are we not allowed view good things happening in and around the city and pass comment on it being a good sign rather than people making accusations and focusing on misery? Are we not allowed focus on good things for a change? Are you not sick to the back teeth with all the misery being spouted about? Its time to start focusing on good things no matter how trivial they are and if you wanna sit at your computer blaming political parties and wallowing then be my guest but i for one dont want that anymore.

What ARE you on about Max?:D All I'm saying is that the days of overpriced houses are over. Thank God for everyone involved. Property prices accumulating at rates of 10% a year are a horror story in the making.So that's being negative in your book?! YOU need to get some perspective.:)

What ARE you on about Max?:D All I'm saying is that the days of overpriced houses are over. Thank God for everyone involved. Property prices accumulating at rates of 10% a year are a horror story in the making. YOU need to get some perspective.:)

Theres been a 10% increase in house prices in dublin alone this year and believe it or not there is a property shortage there. Govt say at that rate they are entering a bubble again. That was on the news this morning on today fm. They said building is at 5% GDP and in the boom it was 25% GDP, they are hoping to get it back upto 10% GDP

• Advertisement

Theres been a 10% increase in house prices in dublin alone this year and believe it or not there is a property shortage there. Govt say at that rate they are entering a bubble again. That was on the news this morning on today fm. They said building is at 5% GDP and in the boom it was 25% GDP, they are hoping to get it back upto 10% GDP

Ergo the problem. Will they never learn? For example, a batch of unsold houses was sold in Waterford recently for €65k. The next batch is now on sale for €70k. Nope. They'll never, ever learn.

Advertisement