Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things looking good in waterford.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

7upfree wrote: »
    FYP.

I think your using inflated prices in the wrong context regarding meadowbank.

The houses were what 250 to start with? And just went on a downward spiral like most places. To sell a house for 65-70, 000 when the land and materials cost more doesnt make sense, are there professionals on here(forgive me the name escapes me) you know the people who do costs on building sites for materials etc and tell us block for block what it costs today to purchase a piece of land and pay proffesionals to build a house on it and what the final bill comes to, a quantity surveyor is it?

The houses in meadowbank are being sold by nama so the people who are selling the houses for them are professionals hired to sell houses, their brief was to get shot of these houses and nama don't care at what price this isnt really a market trend is it? Its an organisation coming in slashing prices to make it appealing creating a demand (silly human nature) and when those houses went they sold a show house starting at 75, 000 which was cheap in comparrison to the others as this one was completely finished to show house standard and ready to live in and if people are foolish enough to bid on houses in meadowbank then thats their problem or desire which ever you choose, that was the show house but the other houses also needed considerable amounts of money spent so I doubt the prices were greater there.

The thing about it is, when those houses were sold, the new owners would have had to get home insurance and the minimum rebuild cost put down by a 3 bed semi is 150, 000, I just renewed my home insurance and my bank and insurance company advised seperately not to go below cover of 150, 000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

It used to be about €100 per Sq Foot, Now its around €80 per Sq Foot. So giving the area of the house you should be able to work out how much it cost the builder to build it. This is an Average figure you don't know the quaility of the building finish, which will give it a higer or lower final sum depending on what materials used.

so 1,150Sq foot house = €92,000 (it could well be more or less, this is only an example to work out Roughly what it could cost)

Also should have added location is another driving factor of cost. Waterford and Dublin you could not build the same house at the same price.
    Im not a QS so a QS might have more uptodate costing figures then I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I hear where your coming from with the Hillview analogy but could you buy the site and build a house like that for 80/ 90 k today?

Given what's going on it mightn't be far off in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Max Powers wrote: »
    of course we dont, nobody has ever said on here or anywhere else i have seen they want to see return of that madness.

But it's an underlying theme in this thread Max. With a national media huffing and puffing about a "recovery". I truly hope this never - ever - happens again. Building bloody houses to rent them out to the people building them. FFS.:mad:

• Advertisement

7upfree wrote: »
    But it's an underlying theme in this thread Max. With a national media huffing and puffing about a "recovery". I truly hope this never - ever - happens again. Building bloody houses to rent them out to the people building them. FFS.:mad:

Threshold have said ireland need to build 30, 000 houses A YEAR due to a housing shortage

http://www.thejournal.ie/threshold-pre-budget-2014-submission-1078664-Sep2013/

Theyve called it a full blown crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Quoting the Journal .ie as a reputable source is laughable in the extreme.
    Makes the Sun look like Naom Chomsky.

Quoting the Journal .ie as a reputable source is laughable in the extreme.
    Makes the Sun look like Naom Chomsky.

Well they are quoting threshold, maybe I shudda just put a direct link up from threshold

Heres the direct link

http://www.threshold.ie/news/2013/09/12/pre-budget-submission-2014/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Well they are quoting threshold, maybe I shudda just put a direct link up from threshold

It was more a slag at the Journal than you, it just piss's me off big time the drivel they feed and the horrendous comments left on their pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

It was more a slag at the Journal than you, it just piss's me off big time the drivel they feed and the horrendous comments left on their pages.

"Ten things your ma would have told you before going to school"

• Advertisement

I remember in 2006 when drving to work and telling my wife in the car, Ireland cant keep building almost 100,000 houses each year. We are going to have a crash sometime in the future.... but i was thinking in the lines of 5 to 10years time.

Like i said we will recover but its going to be slow, and when we do waterford will be looking better then before due to all the works going on. With all the festivals we have on its going to be a nice city to visit when its all finished.

Advertisement