Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wanted: linux system administrator

Options
  • 25-09-2013 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

We are looking for an experienced linux system administrator on a part time freelance on-going basis.

Required skills:
    Good command line experience with linux OS
    An understanding of SMTP and DNS
    Good understanding of mysql and PHP
    An understanding of software source control, including git.

The candidate should have at least one years experience of managing linux servers in a professional environment including email servers such as qmail, sendmail or postfix. The role involves general system administration while also dealing in English with a small number of technical support calls per week. Some experience of dealing with remote data centres would be an advantage. You can be located anywhere in Ireland or the UK.
    Ideally you will be available for 4-5 hours each week on a long term basis.
    If you are interested please get in touch by private message.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Location information would be nice.

Is this a week by week contract? That type of insecurity must be unsettling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

[-0-] wrote: »
    Location information would be nice.

Is this a week by week contract? That type of insecurity must be unsettling.

Yeah, I have done and do this kind of work, but I know enough to stay away from positions with vague job descriptions and terms such as "a number of hours each week on an on-going basis".

• Registered Users Posts: 6 snow1

A more details job description will be agreed at interview stage. The number of hours averages 15 per month, additionally scheduled extra hours may be available for updates and adding servers etc. Obviously finer details will be discussed with the successful candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

No offense, but why would anyone agree to interview for a job when you won't even supply basic information such as location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

So it's a remote position for 15 hours a month. What's the salary range?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 snow1

[-0-] wrote: »
    No offense, but why would anyone agree to interview for a job when you won't even supply basic information such as location?

"You can be located anywhere in Ireland or the UK." - you can work from home or anywhere once you have internet access and a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 vimal_andrew

snow1 wrote: »
    "You can be located anywhere in Ireland or the UK." - you can work from home or anywhere once you have internet access and a phone.

I have over 8 years experience in Ubuntu and Red Hat and Fedora versions of Linux. I managed a network consisting of 60 computers. I am ready to do the job whatever be the time or whatever be the wage. I am experienced in NFS, NIS, FRP, SMTP, sendmil, Samba, LDAP configurations in Linx as well as programming. So please reply if u are interested in me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I have over 8 years experience in Ubuntu and Red Hat and Fedora versions of Linux. I managed a network consisting of 60 computers. I am ready to do the job whatever be the time or whatever be the wage. I am experienced in NFS, NIS, FRP, SMTP, sendmil, Samba, LDAP configurations in Linx as well as programming. So please reply if u are interested in me?

I sent him two CVs and got no response. I wouldn't hold your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

I did get a response by PM.
    They found someone very quickly from what I could gather.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I don't understand the animosity, they were looking for a contractor, not an employee. Or am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

Neither do I. Good place to post an ad like that, I'd have thought.
    Simple request, and would probably have suited quite a few people here.
    Hope it doesn't put other people off considering this as a place to ask about contractors.

There have been questions here over the years as to whether it's OK to look for or discuss jobs on this forum, but last I heard from a mod it shouldn't be a problem. It's nothing formal vetted by boards, so no blame to anyone here if an agreement were to go sour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

niallb wrote: »
    I did get a response by PM.
    They found someone very quickly from what I could gather.

I got a response via PM too. He said send me the Cvs and I'll get back to you and he didn't.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but if you have the wherewithal to post here looking for a contractor, at least have the wherewithal to post back and say "We got someone, thanks".

Advertisement