Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverpoint or Alandale reviews

• 25-09-2013 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I’m interested in buying or renting a 2-bed in Riverpoint or Alandale (SCR) Limerick.
    There are older threads with information, but I haven’t seen a good update in a long time.

Does anybody have experience of living there and the pros/cons etc.?

Things I’m looking at are:

1. Rent per month
    2. Insulation levels
    3. Monthly Heating costs as they use electric heaters
    4. Are they quiet in terms of neighbours and people coming/going?
    5. What is the build quality?
    6. Are the walls thick between apartments – can you hear your neighbours whispering to each other?
    7. What TV and Broadband provider is in the building e.g. Sky or UPC?
    8. Is parking extra or included?
    9. Do you recommend different floor apartments over others?
    10. Dealings with Management company
    11. Cost of yearly management fees
    12. Break-ins & Security
    13. General upkeep of common areas e.g. are lifts always broken/out of service?
    14. Are bins included in the fees?
    15. Any leaks, water damage etc.?

All of your advice is welcome and by all means add to the list as you see fit.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Pandiani

I've actually rented in both, a 2 bed apartment in Riverpoint and a 3 bed in Alandale so I'll try and answer as best I can.

1. Riverpoint €700 per month(2010/2011) Alandale was €880 for 3 bedroom(2008/2009) although I do know people in both who were paying more so we got good deals.

2. Alandale well insulated, Riverpoint not sure.

3. Riverpoint was costly as it was the storage heaters so ESB bills were high, we had a cheap overnight ESB rate though. Alandale was gas so not too expensive.

4. Found both to be quiet but would depend on where you were situated I suppose.

5. Good in both I found.

6. Could not hear neighbours in either but again may depend on your neighbours.

7. UPC only in Riverpoint. We had UPC in Alandale too but presume you can get sky. UPC broadband is excellent which we had in both.

8. Parking included but you need a permit on the car from the management company

9. I lived in a low number floor in Riverpoint and it was fine, some apartments are bigger than others though. I lived in a bigger apartment, a friend had a smaller one and their rent was more than mine.

10. Never had much dealings with either as a renter

11. No idea but if you are renting and landlord hasn't paid these they won't issued parking permits.

12. Never heard of break-ins in either when I was there.

13. OK in both as far as I can remember, lifts went out the odd time in Riverpoint and fire alarm went off a few times I remember

14. Included in both

15. None in either but would depend on apartment again i would say.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Living in Alandale for the last 3 years. My rent is 650 for a 2 bed.

Insulation is fairly good

Gas heated, looking at 20-40 monthly depending on your usage

Dead quiet during the summer can be a little noisy with the students back but generally it's fine. The permanent neighbours are nice.

Build quality is good but the wiring is not good in my place the bulbs changed frequently. Walls are fine and the floor above is not too noticeable

I'm using UPC with fiber, doubt sky would be allowed with satellite dishes.

Bins are included in the rent. I like the ground floor myself but imagine there's nothing wrong either upstairs. Would avoid the ground floor 2beds in the corners as above it is a 3-4 which usually occupies students.

The place is kept well with the park tidy all the time. No break-ins that I'm aware of. The house alarms can go off an odd time which can be annoying. 2 parking permits come with the appt.

Overall very happy with my place, I've seen loads of appt in the city nowhere near that standard

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭iceman777

Thanks for the replies. I must say it's useful information to have.
    I'm viewing some apartments this week so I'll be ready for the estate agent!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

iceman777 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I must say it's useful information to have.
    I'm viewing some apartments this week so I'll be ready for the estate agent!!

The noise from the student population in alandale is horrendous. It's akin to a student village really tbh. We regularly have to wear ear plugs to bed. I'd advise against alandale as a result. Shame really as we're very happy there otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭OnlyGotOneSong

The noise from the student population in alandale is horrendous. It's akin to a student village really tbh. We regularly have to wear ear plugs to bed. I'd advise against alandale as a result. Shame really as we're very happy there otherwise.

Totally agree about Alandale.Noise has been especially bad in the past few weeks.Nice apartments but not worth it when you have to put up with the noise.Has turned into student central and will be moving out as soon as my lease is up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Totally agree about Alandale.Noise has been especially bad in the past few weeks.Nice apartments but not worth it when you have to put up with the noise.Has turned into student central and will be moving out as soon as my lease is up.

It's always going to be a bit noisy for the first few weeks never had to put on earplugs or the like. I'll agree that there is a lot of students mostly in alandale hall as there is alot of 3/4 beds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

Irish_rat wrote: »
    It's always going to be a bit noisy for the first few weeks never had to put on earplugs or the like. I'll agree that there is a lot of students mostly in alandale hall as there is alot of 3/4 beds

Lived there now for 2 years and it's not just confined to the first few weeks. Noisy all through the college year and definitely getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cartoon45

I am going to move to Limerick in a few months and started looking at Riverpoint apartments which I liked. I am concerned about the flooding and any other problems that this building might have had but most of the messages are from years ago so I am not sure if they apply in 2013. Did the management deal with the problems? I am thinking about buying. Any tips would be useful.

Advertisement