Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drilling for Water- consider geothermal?

• 25-09-2013 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Looking for opinions/possibilities on this.

We are nearly ready to complete the purchase of a small farmhouse. House is early 1900's with no heating systems (except lots of fireplaces).

We have to bore a well for water and I'm considering our options regarding heating-mainly the possability of geothermal as I would like to use a renewable energy system.

Do any of ye good folks know if it is possible to use the same bore hole for both our drinking water and for the geothermal heat use? If it has to be seperate, is this due to contamination issues?

Would like a few opinions before I bring the idea to our Engineer- who already thinks we are daft for buying such an old property.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

It is possible but only on a water to water system. The best way to do it is to place the pump in the dump well (you'll need a supply well and return well for the geothermal). This way you won't starve the HP of water if the heat pump and water pump need to run together.
    You also won't need to pull up two pumps if one fails.
    I wouldn't be looking at geo unless you have a low temp distribution system. If you're on rads give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭JD6910

please make sure you insulate and an airtight the hell out of the 1900's house!!!

go with a strategy of super insulated and airtight and a handy low cost heating system...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Troy2013

Thanks for the replies.

JD6910 thanks for that- We are looking at externally insulating the house and insulating the roof. We are also taking up the suspended wooden floors and putting down a new damp-proof course (as much as can be done in a pre-existing building) and putting in insulation and poured concrete floors.

I know that rads are a no go with geothermal so we are hoping to put in underfloor heating when we are pouring the new floors. We are waiting on a few contractors to price this as a few have said to us that retrofitting underfloor isn't worth it. That will eventually determine what heat source we can use then.

So Condenser am I interpreting you right in thinking we would need two boreholes then. A supply well and dump well?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭JD6910

Troy2013 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

JD6910 thanks for that- We are looking at externally insulating the house and insulating the roof. We are also taking up the suspended wooden floors and putting down a new damp-proof course (as much as can be done in a pre-existing building) and putting in insulation and poured concrete floors.

I know that rads are a no go with geothermal so we are hoping to put in underfloor heating when we are pouring the new floors. We are waiting on a few contractors to price this as a few have said to us that retrofitting underfloor isn't worth it. That will eventually determine what heat source we can use then.

So Condenser am I interpreting you right in thinking we would need two boreholes then. A supply well and dump well?

Thanks.

apparently alu rads are ok with a heat pump but there is better qualified people on here to advise im sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

Troy2013 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

Thanks.

Yes you need to return the water you pass through the heat pump back to the ground, preferably into the same seam of water but downstream so the cooler water being pumped back doesn't affect efficiency. Also test the water so you don't end up having problems with iron etc affecting heat exchangers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement