Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with surname translation.

• 25-09-2013 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I'm trying to get the surname Coulahan translated into Irish. It's obviously an Irish name to begin with but you'd be surprised the amount of different translations we've gotten, even in back in school.

I'm also wondering if tracing the origins of the name would help but it's such a generic name that it's hard to determine where it comes from.

So can any of you kind folk help with an accurate translation?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm on my mobile at the moment so I can't check it out yet, but have a look on ainm.ie while you're waiting. That might have some of the information you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

It's Mac Coulahan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Ó Cúlacháin, prevalent in Limerick, Tip and Mayo is the standard.
    According to an old book I have, Mac Uallacháin was used in Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Woulfe (1923) has:
    Mac UALLACHÁIN—IV—M'Coulaghan, M'Wolleghan, Coulahan, Coulihan, Colahan, Coolahan, &c.; 'son of Uallachán' (diminutive of uallach, proud, haughty); the name of an ancient and respectable family in Offaly. They are of the same stock as the O'Maddens, and were at one time chiefs of Siol Anmchadha; but for many centuries have been seated in the parish of Lusmagh, in Offaly, which originally formed part of Siol Anmchadha.

----

Ó CÚLACHÁIN—I—O Coullaghan, O Couloghan, O'Colohan, Cuolohan, Coulihan, &c.; 'descendant of Cúlachán' (diminutive of cúlach, fat); the name of a family of the Ui Fiachrach who were formerly seated in the barony of Carra, Co. Mayo. At the end of the 16th century it was also found in Sligo, Tipperary and Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Nice one Dubhthach. The de Bhulbh I have is from 1906 but not as detailed as his 1923 edition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭El Viz

Thank you for all the responses guys. I remember Ó CÚLACHÁIN is what I was given in school.

UALLACHÁIN would be more accurate right?

El Viz wrote: »
    Thank you for all the responses guys. I remember Ó CÚLACHÁIN is what I was given in school.

UALLACHÁIN would be more accurate right?

It depends really if you are actually a member of the Uí Maine then yeah, if however you are a member of the Uí Fhiachrach then it's a nope.

As an aside from what I can see genetically Uí Fhiachrach surnames tend to show up M222+ (Y-Chromosome haplogroup), likewise for Uí Bhriúin and Uí Néill surnames -- ties in with pseudo-history of Niall and his two half-brothers (Fiachrae and Brion).

dubhthach wrote: »
    It depends really if you are actually a member of the Uí Maine then yeah, if however you are a member of the Uí Fhiachrach then it's a nope.

As an aside from what I can see genetically Uí Fhiachrach surnames tend to show up M222+ (Y-Chromosome haplogroup), likewise for Uí Bhriúin and Uí Néill surnames -- ties in with pseudo-history of Niall and his two half-brothers (Fiachrae and Brion).

My family are all based in Dublin and have been for a long time. So I guess the best thing to do is visit the national library and figure out at what point and from where they came from. I've heard Offaly being said before by my grandfather so that's something to look into alright.

El Viz wrote: »
    My family are all based in Dublin and have been for a long time. So I guess the best thing to do is visit the national library and figure out at what point and from where they came from. I've heard Offaly being said before by my grandfather so that's something to look into alright.

Well one other option would be to do a Y-Chromosome test, there is a "Uí Maine" genetic cluster (Kelly, Madden etc.).

The offaly connection would point towards Mac UALLACHÁIN that's for sure.

dubhthach wrote: »
    Well one other option would be to do a Y-Chromosome test, there is a "Uí Maine" genetic cluster (Kelly, Madden etc.).

The offaly connection would point towards Mac UALLACHÁIN that's for sure.

Thanks man, You've been a great help. One more question, where could I get such a test?

• Advertisement
Advertisement