Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

academy gig

Options
  • 25-09-2013 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭

lads im going to a gig in the academy soon.im driving from limerick parking the car and driving home after the gig.i have a few questions as i havent done it before.

i was going to park at the red cow inn and get a luas in and out?is this a good idea?and any idea how much parking for the day would be?and can you park there all day?
    or is there anywhere in the city centre thats handy/cheap to park for the gig?

any suggestions as to the easiest way in and out of dublin would be really apopreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

If it's a quiet weeknight you might get parking around Parnell Square on Writer's Museum / Chapter One side, or else maybe Ilac Centre parking. The red line Luas trip from Red Cow into town is more of a grueller than it looks on paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Bateman wrote: »
    If it's a quiet weeknight you might get parking around Parnell Square on Writer's Museum / Chapter One side, or else maybe Ilac Centre parking. The red line Luas trip from Red Cow into town is more of a grueller than it looks on paper.

no its a saturday night.

I'm not a driver but knowing the Luas and town in general, I'd be inclined to drive in and park in the Ilac or somewhere around there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I do what you're talking about all the time and it's honestly the best choice from my experience.
    Driving into the city can be very annoying. Leaving can be even more annoying, especially with taxis.

It's only €4 to park for 24 hours at the red cow in and €4.20 return I think to Jervis or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

When i'm going to gigs in the Academy, i always park in the Jervis car park (red one). It's takes 1 or 2 minutes to walk to the academy and it stays open to 2am on saturdays. handy out.

• Advertisement

When i'm going to gigs in the Academy, i always park in the Jervis car park (red one). It's takes 1 or 2 minutes to walk to the academy and it stays open to 2am on saturdays. handy out.

How much is that place per hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

SV wrote: »
    How much is that place per hour?
    It usually costs a fiver for the duration of the stay (say 3 hours), so i guess that's the evening rate.
    There are big signs on the front of the building with the rates, and i'm pretty sure all day parking is €12.

Edit: Maybe it's €6. I'm not 100% tbh.

Edit No.2: Image added
    218259_412946415421766_1465464339_o.jpg

Jaysus that's not half bad, would be worth it if it was quiet enough. Midweek definitely.
    Wouldn't go for it on a Saturday night though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Jervis parking, definite. Close by and cheap!

The only thing about jervis is i have to drive from there out of the city back to Limerick when its dark and i know! Ill get lost........... although if i borrow a sat nav maybe not.

@sv your way sounds great.

• Advertisement

Jervis is effectively on the quays, you wouldn't get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

When you're leaving, you just continue on Jervis to Parnell St, turn left and continue straight to Capel St. You turn left on Capel St and head all the way down to the quays, cross the bridge, turn right and you're on your way out of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭roll

don't bother going - the academy is a woeful venue

There's always one.

JJ wrote: »
    When you're leaving, you just continue on Jervis to Parnell St, turn left and continue straight to Capel St. You turn left on Capel St and head all the way down to the quays, cross the bridge, turn right and you're on your way out of Dublin.

So would i be right in saying when you come down the quays turn left onto jervis and into car park that you can't come back out that way? One way is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Can't say anything about parking as I don't drive, but FWIW the Luas journey from Red Cow to Jervis takes 30min and costs €4.40 return. You get off at Jervis, keep walking up Abbey Street (the same way the Luas was going) and the Academy is the narrow blue building on the right about halfway down the street. Last tram leaves the Point at 12:30am, so it'll be at Jervis by around 12:40am.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    So would i be right in saying when you come down the quays turn left onto jervis and into car park that you can't come back out that way? One way is it?

Jervis St is one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Parking at the red cow and getting the luas would be the biggest waste of time in my opinion. You are looking at a minimum 30 min trip each way on the luas. Just drive in the n 4 and park at jervis. I do it all the time for academy gigs. Its literally a 5 min walk from the venue and you just hop in your car and head home after rather than hanging around a dodgy luas stop until one comes followed by the tedious hike out to the red cow! There wont be any traffic in the city centre on the north quays on a saturday night...easy peasy!

yea i think parking in the jervis is the way to go.and that is what ill do id say.thanks for all the replies.

Advertisement