Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed re: new home audio installation

• 25-09-2013 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi All,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place - starting a self-build in the next few weeks - thought this would be a better place to locate this query as i am looking advice on the install of a home entertainment system.

I have attached a screen grab of the area in question. We will have a "good room" at the front of the house where no home audio is needed - we will have at the most just a television. The other living area is semi open-plan, with a kitchen/dining/living area. What i want from this area is this:

Ceiling speakers for ambient sound in the kitchen / dining area (possibly 2 x 2 stereo so 4 in total)

Surround Sound in the main living area (thinking of wall mounting the tv).

I will have other tech to throw into the mix - an apple tv, possibly a sky box or blu-ray player. I hope to buy some form of amp with a dual zone system that will allow for music to be played via airplay through iPod touch to the kitchen speakers (if airplay is not available then an airport express feeding analogue audio into the system) and then the other devices (ATV / Blu-ray etc) fed into the HDMI Slots in this amp and back into the TV and surround sound speakers.

I am a stickler for things being neat and tidy (and out of sight if possible). What i am looking for is advice - where should i locate the conglomeration of wires / tech? If hidden away, is there such a thing as a remote extender?

I think the options are either in the living area itself, or in the pantry area off the kitchen.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

What part of the country are you in?

I have almost exactly what you have described in our house, built this year.

We have all the source kit hidden away (PS3, WD media player, NAS, Sky, CCTV etc) It is all managed by a Denon 3313 which can be controlled using an app via wifi or via the remote control.

We have HDMI extenders that use CAT5/6 cable and that also carry the IR signals back to control everything.(HD Anywhere)

All the kit is hidden so the only thing you can see in the main 5.1 zone is the tv and speakers. And the other zone is just a TV on a wall.

It works quite well. It is fine for me as I installed it and know how it works. We have sound in the kitchen as well with this set up as well as two other rooms in the house.

I can try and help you if you would like. Give richersounds in Belfast a buzz too, as they can give more advice on other options. I found them helpful, and more importantly best on price so bought most of my stuff from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tates1979

Vintage -

Deadly, thanks. Might definitely pick your brains. Will look into the Denon. Out of interest, where did you hide all your kit away?

Will definitely go through Richer as I have done in the past. I'm in Belfast but house we're building is in Mid Ulster/ South Derry direction.

Thanks again!
    vintagevrs wrote: »
    What part of the country are you in?

I have almost exactly what you have described in our house, built this year.

We have all the source kit hidden away (PS3, WD media player, NAS, Sky, CCTV etc) It is all managed by a Denon 3313 which can be controlled using an app via wifi or via the remote control.

We have HDMI extenders that use CAT5/6 cable and that also carry the IR signals back to control everything.(HD Anywhere)

All the kit is hidden so the only thing you can see in the main 5.1 zone is the tv and speakers. And the other zone is just a TV on a wall.

It works quite well. It is fine for me as I installed it and know how it works. We have sound in the kitchen as well with this set up as well as two other rooms in the house.

I can try and help you if you would like. Give richersounds in Belfast a buzz too, as they can give more advice on other options. I found them helpful, and more importantly best on price so bought most of my stuff from there.

No bother. Im from Derry myself. All our kit is in the hot press. Although, it isnt actually a hot press as there is no hot water tank in there. It would be a worry for the kit if it was an actual hot press if you get me, as some of the stuff can get pretty warm. Incidently, as we dont have a hot water tank in there the kit actually keeps it nice and snug now.

That Denon I bought has been discontinued. It was around £1500/1600 when I bought it less than a year ago! I see it for sale now for £500/600:(

What stage is the house at? Make sure to run plently of cables during first fix. Costs very little for a box of cat6, and if you dont use some of the cabling, no harm done.

Let me know the craic sure, im no expert, far from it, but can share my experience. Your downstairs is very similar to ours in layout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, just so as to keep your options as wide as possible, the Onkyo AV receivers which have Ethernet ports can also be controlled by a free app running on an Android or iPhone. Looks like the AV-414 would be the cheapest model in their range which would give you that functionality. if you're browsing the Onkyo website, the word 'Network' needs to be in the title of the box.

http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/a-v-receiver-306.html

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭joebre

Hi vintagevrs and others,

Found this post in a search for cable options. Friend in the middle of a new build. Has options of cable, satellite and Saorview, with boxes to be all located in central location.
    I have a Denon 1912 with network capability connected via HDMI to smart TV. NAS at central location also and connected to TV using Cat cable.
    My question is what cables would you use, in new build, to connect the boxes to a number of TV's. He was running 2 x coax and 1 x Cat to each point, Should he use HDMI for some of the shorter runs or should he use Cat and baluns. Can you tell me more about how you control your out of site equipment.
    I've used RF remotes and Magic eyes but now use a Triax tri link.
    Amplifier and Apple TV can both be controlled using Ipad or smart phone

• Advertisement

joebre wrote: »
    Hi vintagevrs and others,

Found this post in a search for cable options. Friend in the middle of a new build. Has options of cable, satellite and Saorview, with boxes to be all located in central location.
    I have a Denon 1912 with network capability connected via HDMI to smart TV. NAS at central location also and connected to TV using Cat cable.
    My question is what cables would you use, in new build, to connect the boxes to a number of TV's. He was running 2 x coax and 1 x Cat to each point, Should he use HDMI for some of the shorter runs or should he use Cat and baluns. Can you tell me more about how you control your out of site equipment.
    I've used RF remotes and Magic eyes but now use a Triax tri link.
    Amplifier and Apple TV can both be controlled using Ipad or smart phone

Hi,

Yes I think you have the idea, where possible use HDMI for shorter runs. A lot less hassle. I don't have any HDMI runs in the house, all done via CAT6. I use HDAnywhere baluns, and these do the trick perfectly. These also carry the IR signal so this is how the source devices are controlled. If at all possible, I would consider running a conduit to each source, this will allow greater flexibility and the best "future proofing". This will allow you to easily add cabling as/when needed with new technology.

To answer the question what would I use to each point. I thought I had ran plenty of cables, 3 CAT6 and COAX to each TV point in the bedrooms but if doing it again I would run more. 3 CAT6 cables is minimum(2 to carry HDMI via balun and 3rd to carry data to smart TV). 2 COAX should be minium as well as many newer TVs have built in digital and satelitte tuners, and to make use of these they require two COAX feeds. One from a dish, the other from an aerial.

My main TV has 5 CAT6 and 3 COAX going to it. 2 CAT6 carry HDMI from my Denon, 1 CAT6 carrys data to the TV, 1 CAT6 carrys preout audio to a sub that I forgot to cable for:(, two COAX carry TV signal(Sat and Digital) and last COAX carrys digital audio back to the amp from the TV via an optical to coax converter!

Hope that makes sense, in summary, put in more than you think you will need!

Advertisement