Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipe for Grapes

Options
  • 25-09-2013 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

This year we grew a grape plant in the polytunnel. It has loads of fruit on it, but the grapes all have seeds so the kids have no interest.

It seems a shame to throw them away and there are only so many myself and the hubby can eat so I am looking for inspiration as to what to do with them.

I looked into making wine but I would have to buy demi-johns etc to do that so has anyone any recipes that I could use them up ie.chutneys etc

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Grape jelly? I haven't made it but I've eaten it and it's delicious. It doesn't seem difficult to make either http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7606/grape-jelly

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

It is green grapes that I have but I don't think that should make a difference.

Might try it and see, I'll have to get some jam sugar as only have normal in the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Not a recipe but I once read a clever tip to freeze green grapes and use them to keep your glass of white wine chilled as they won't water it down like ice cubes would.

Fresh grapes can be stored for up to two months by layering in sawdust.

You could dry them out to raisins in a conventional oven at 115F/46C for 48-72 hours.

You could make grape juice by covering with boiling water and simmering until skins have softened, then drain through a jelly bag/muslin overnight. Would get rid of the seeds too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Chicken with grape sauce is a classic. Yum.

Home-dried raisins? They will have a bit of a crunch with the seeds, but grape seeds are good for you anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

fitzcoff wrote: »
    It is green grapes that I have but I don't think that should make a difference.

Any I've tasted has been made with green grapes. It's delicious on toast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Search for recipes with "veronique" in the name ... chicken veronique, sole veronique etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

frozen grapes are like a sorbet - low fat and delicious dessert.

I made the grape jelly last weekend, I got six jars out of a double qty of the recipe above.

It didn't set for me :confused:

so I reboiled it after buying a sugar thermometer and the colour went a lot darker and I only got 5 jars out of the mixture but it has set and tastes lovely.

I have another 1.5kg of grapes in the freezer so I might make another batch at a later stage.

Thanks for the suggestions

Pity you had to redo it but at least it turned out well in the end. I love grape jelly.

Pity you had to redo it but at least it turned out well in the end. I love grape jelly.

I was surprised at the taste as I haven't had it before. It wouldn't have been something that I would have bought, I have an amercian friend who has said that she will taste test it for me :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement