Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cancelling a gym membership

Options
  • 25-09-2013 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi,

My wife joined a gym on monday and had a bad experience with the staff. She is just back from the gym after bring the little one swimming and shes after having more issues, when she spoke to the manager about cancelling he was very dismissive and generally a dick.

She is fuming because she joined the gym based on a personal recommendation and now she just wants to cancel the membership.

Whats is the right way about cancelling her membership and recouping the 6 months she has paid for ?
    Does a cooling off period apply on gym membership?

Jack

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You'll need to give more details, how did she sign up. In the gym, online over the phone?

Have you looked at the terms and conditions she agreed to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Also what issues is she having with staff and has she reported this to management? If the issues are serious enough and are not dealt with by the gym then you should make a claim through the small claims court for the membership fees as the gym would be seen to be voiding the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Steady on there Foggy ............ :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

emeldc wrote: »
    Gyms are notorious for being hard to cancel memberships so even with instances of staff not providing the contracted service it may not be enough to get a refund of membership paid so a trip to the Small Claims Court may indeed be required.

As stated all issues should first be highlighted to the management to allow them the chance to reply to the complaints and provide some form of redress for the lack of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Gyms are notorious for being hard to cancel memberships so even with instances of staff not providing the contracted service it may not be enough to get a refund of membership paid so a trip to the Small Claims Court may indeed be required.

As stated all issues should first be highlighted to the management to allow them the chance to reply to the complaints and provide some form of redress for the lack of service.

What lack of service, do you know something we don't, she only joined on fuggin' Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

How can anybody advise on this?. Sounds like she went once. We have no idea what her problem is. For all we know it's another post-holiday good intention that has soured.
    She joined on personal recommendations so obviously others think it's a decent gym.

There's just not enough to go on here and everybody will be second guessingl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

check the contract and its terms, presume she signed something?
    Did she make any enquiries prior to joining, free visits to see what it was like?
    Is there a cooling off period?

So she's been twice, what were the issues?
    that would make a big difference to getting a bit of advice otherwise people are guessing in the dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I think there's an echo in here, here, here.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I think there's an echo in here, here, here.......
    Is there? I didnt think you were clearly asking what the problem was?
    I didnt see a question mark, so it looks like a statement,
    just that people would be guessing without the extra information.
    Im asking the OP what the issues were?

So, OP, what was the problem with the staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

emeldc wrote: »

Please Don't make comments like this without providing more detail. Help posters understand what you mean.

And to all posters - stop narking at each other.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I have heard that some gym's can be hard to deal with when it comes to cancelling membership.

My wife was a member of a gym and due to circumstances wanted to cancel her membership. She had been a member there for years. Gym were not happy and told her she could not cancel. So went into bank and told them to cancel this Direct debit immediately or I would close the account. Job done.

Dont know where you you stand on the upfront payment if it were cash but if Direct debit I would cancel it. Dont know if there is a cooling off period but if she feels she might have been mis sold something she can make a case to the gym for refund.

Advertisement