Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Platinum Trophies

Options
  • 25-09-2013 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭

So, I have none.

Could have platted Resistance 2 as only needed > 1000 more MP kills but just wasn't that pushed. Realised the other day I only need a few fairly easy trophies to platinum Far Cry 3.

Trophies have never interested me although some people I know absolutley live for them. Some of the grinding required can be game destroying imo. Have to admit now I'm closing in on the first I'm kinda giddy.

So what's the view. Do you absolutely have to platinum a game to get the most out of it or are you not bothered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm not bothered. I have none but I'm thinking I may go back and try to platinum Infamous, Infamous 2 and Prince of Persia (2008 game) at some point as I really liked those games and seem to be close enough anyway with nothing too complex required as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Now this is my kind of thread! :D

To answer some of your questions:

I believe some trophy lists set the standard to what there is to do in a game, such as a pointer for all that there is to experience, to 100% the game.

I have 59 Platinum trophies, and the only reason i can explain my love for getting them is the games themselves.

I have played plenty of games once, liked them and moved onto the next game, Not caring if i complete them. But if i play a game i consider absolutely amazing, that i love very passionately about and want to show to myself and others how much i loved that game. I platinum it.

It's a mark of achievement, a seal of approval/recommendation and it solidifies forever my love for playing that game.

I WILL NEVER ever platinum a game for the sake of just getting the Plat.
    Some people on my friends list have the Hannah Montana Platinum trophies just to boost their account. Not judging here but thats not what trophies are to me.

Example:
    I have played and platinumed all 6 God of War games/ all 6 Ratchet Games/ All 4 uncharted games. That's 16 platinums alone from 3 series i absolutely love and have completed them all 100%.

I also have a lot of HD collection Plats, Like MGS2, which by the way is known as one of the hardest Platinums to get, and i have it! So that makes me feels good and dedicated to the cause! :cool:

It annoys me when i can't 100% experience and finish a game i passionately love and i know others here in this forum feel the same way.

F1ngers has a great Platinum record too, and i envy some of his plat's! (As i know he does for some of mine ;)) and actually, he is the reason i stayed in this forum! I needed help with Co-op MW2 in the day and he helped me do some missions on Veteran.

1 Year later i helped him get the Black ops Platinum by doing zombies with him. Then we played Payday together too so there's a friendship to be made between fellow trophy hunters!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Trophies I dislike are the collecting ones. Like in Uncharted where you have to collect every treasure. One reason I don't like the way Uncharted does it is due to backtracking not being allowed.
    But then also for games that have say "Collect 1000 feathers". when playing the game for the first time you're unlikely to collect them all but you'll collect maybe a half of them. Then you think you can use a guide to collect the rest but unless you've got the greatest memory ever, you're not going to remember what ones you've already collected so you go to every spot on a large open world that the guide mentions.

Then the game is no longer fun

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I hate online multiplayer trophies. So annoying

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

lertsnim wrote: »
    I hate online multiplayer trophies. So annoying

They wouldn't be so bad if they were just "Complete one game online", but that crap about "Be No. 1 in all online modes" - hate them with a passion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

I enjoyed 100%ing games that I loved before trophies and achievements were a thing. The only thing that has changed really is how they are presented and the ability to compare them to your friends. Don't like trophies like spend 1000 hours playing online matches, or people who boost their stats by deliberately playing **** games just because they have an easy plat.

I have 35 plats myself, the ones of which I'm probably the most proud being Rayman Origins and Metal Gear Solid 3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I enjoy platting games - but have rarely done it. Fair play to the lads who have 35 and wow 59!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Neither have the time nor the patience for platinum trophy hunting. Barely have enough time to playthrough games once, let alone multiple times under specific criteria. Fully agree that trophies based on collectibles are effectively an insult to the player's time. There's no lesser form of game design than meaningless planting of collectibles around the place (*coughassassinscreedcougharkhamcitycoughcough*). A few games have smartly designed trophies / achievements that help you play the game better -I'm thinking Bayonetta, where the achievements were basically advanced, DIY tutorials for some of the combat system's hidden depths - but they're a minority. Most trophy lists are buffed out with relatively pointless mundanities that in no way enhance the game experience. I'd much rather just move on to something else than suck a game dry for a few numbers beside my profile name. All IMO, I should stress.

Off the top of my head I do have three platinums: two for the first two Sly games (criteria: basically just finish them) and one for Sound Shapes. The latter one I did fight for, as I wasn't going to let those damn trials get the better of me. Frankly, while I once had a passing interest in achieving the trophies that didn't require much time or needless efforts, my interest in them has only decreased over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

Fairplay on getting the Sound Shapes plat. I only have four death modes to finish to get my double-plat for it (you get the Vita version's trophies automatically when you sync your save)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Use to collect em but not bothered anymore, only the great games attract me to their plat i.e Demons Souls and Dark Souls. The rarest plat trophy in the world is Tom Clancys Endwar 35 people have it im stuck on 98%. It was glitched for 5 years but someone figured out how to unlock the glitched trophy to unlock the plat. So once im home ill play it to be one of the few in the world who have it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,407 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Just one.

Dark Souls, and so proud of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I have one, Skyrim. Its my favorite game of all time ever so I felt nearly obliged to get it. I enjoyed every single second of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Yeah, checked a friends stats last night. He has over 160 platinums. He's seriously OCD when it gomes to this. He does pad the stats to some extent 'cos I know he's done some of his kids games but he's a pretty good gamer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Only have one, Skyrim, must have about 150 hours put into the game. I got the Plat before the DLC's came out so its shows the Plat but only about 85% next to the trophy, my OCD goes mad when I see it.

Only other game I came close to platinum was Assasins Creed 2, got 95% in it think the last trophy I had to get was the feathers but I didnt bother going back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

I don't usually strive for Platinum. It feels too final to me. I would play a game once and having not gotten Platinum, It gives me an incentive to play through the game again in the future. Platinum makes me feel like there's no point playing the game anymore so I keep my games open in a way. I do have respect for people to strive to get Platinum and it is impressive.

It all comes down to personal taste I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'm not a big trophy hunter either, only 2 plats to my name, Tekken 6 and Jak and Daxter 1. Got close on a number of others, notably AC2 with the feathers being the only remaining one but wouldn't be pushed to get them by any means.

Ironically though, I do like to make sure I've a higher trophy count than my best mate :D

The most satisfying (and probably easiest) Platinum trophy is The Walking Dead. Great game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

ive a friend on psn who has 76 platinum trophies , hes mental.

ive about 7 which I just done because I was bored.

I dunno how or why people do it to be honest, it destroys any sort of replay value from the game and makes you sick of it very quickly

I want to platinum Just Cause 2 just so I can delete it from my HDD. Need the space but GTA V is taking all my gaming time for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

I liked getting the platinum trophy in Fallout 3. But that's the only one I have - generally I have no interest in the ones that require online games ("play 500000 matches online"), or require you to replay the game on a higher difficulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

I do like trophies although I am never overly desperate to get the platinum. There will be certain trophies that I will make an effort to get. Unlike some I love collecting stuff in games and a trophy at the end of it is all important.

I only have 3 platinums in total though; Skyrim, Farcry 3 and Dishonoured

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

R.F. wrote: »
    I only have 3 platinums in total though; Skyrim, Farcry 3 and Dishonoured

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I only have one. Uncharted Golden Abyss for the Vita. I was a backpacker at the time....cold......hungry.......afraid.............and.........I lived in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

shuffles03 wrote: »
    I only have one. Uncharted Golden Abyss for the Vita. I was a backpacker at the time....cold......hungry.......afraid.............and.........I lived in a car.

Wow that Vita must have a hell of a battery :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

jaxdasher wrote: »
    Wow that Vita must have a hell of a battery :P

She does indeed. I stroke her often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Just got my first platinum trophy ! Jak and Daxter 1 Precursor Legacy !

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ssba91

I usually just take trophies as they come but will go an extra stretch if I'm enjoying the game or they aren't too time consuming.

Only have the one platinum from Virtues Last Reward, a game I very much enjoyed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

No time for platinum really with PS+ but to those of you who are able to in a short time I salute you !
    There are some really laborious tasks for some that I just won't do (Feathers and Flags come to mind).
    Although multiple endings are also a pain, sure it's great to have a choice of endings but to have to go back and start again or have multiple saves doesn't interest me.
    Still doesn't mean I don't respect you platinum junkies !

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

eddhorse wrote: »
    Just got my first platinum trophy ! Jak and Daxter 1 Precursor Legacy !

Awesome! I got that too, great game i missed out on during the PS2 era. So happy with all the HD collections allowing me to play them again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Couldn't sleep last night and ended up getting the platinum for Far Cry 3. First one :)

Advertisement