Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo, HR etc

Options
  • 25-09-2013 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

The Winter thread got me thinking, I plan on spending some proper time on the turbo over the winter, but I don't have a PM. Is a HR monitor necessary; is time on the turbo a waste of time otherwise? And by HR monitor I mean, buying one, while also making proper use of the thing.
    I spent a lot of time on the turbo during the spring but it felt unfocussed.
    I have a Garmin 405 so I assume I could attach something to that

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I couldnt use a turbo properly without some kind of stat to keep and eye on. Using RPE tends to be a bit too woolly. I only have hr and cad to work off, but at my level, its enough. Ive toyed with the idea of getting a tacx flow with pm, but thats just throwing money at something that could progress a lot further with just hard work at the moment.

I used to use a 405 with its hr on the turbo, along with a cycle computer. It worked just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Rather than getting a tacx flow which is quite pricey, I'd be inclined to try and throw an extra few quid in to the pot and get a PM. At least then you could have it for races.

RPE has it's place as it's good to have multiple reference points. With the HR strap for the 405 you could use HR and RPE to guide sessions. Be warned though, Garmin HR can be a tad unreliable....enter Mr Polar (aka AKW) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

You defo need some measure of effort for your turbo sessions. Up to now I've used HR to guide my sessions, and from hours of turboing I know what speed/cadence I should be hitting for a given HR and when I'm off that mark I usually know why.

I race by RPE and ignore all numbers, so I don't think I'd get much out of a PM. But I have been using trainerroad to record my turbo sessions (only looking at it post session) for the past few months, and reckon I'll use it for this winter as it has seemed reliable and consistent thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

You need a big kick ass fan, one with MASSIVE blades. A desk fan is no good.

Otherwise the hard work is just dispersing heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

pgibbo wrote: »
    enter Mr Polar (aka AKW) :D

Undergoing a name change at the moment to Mr. Pol-min to reflect my internal turmoil. ;)

As someone who has made a progression from:
    training RPE > training RPE + HR (Polar) > training RPE + HR + PM (Polar)
    I think you need to have some metric to keep an eye on rather than just speed and cadence. Otherwise how do you measure progress?

Also for me November - February is all about base work, all HR guided and then build the frequency of power based sessions through the spring. (Still work to PM in the winter but not as focussed on it).

IMHO a decent HR is the first step, you could add a HR strap to your 405, but you might be better off with a cheap FT1 or FT4 Polar that will at least be accurate :p

Enter the PM boys......

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    You need a big kick ass fan, one with MASSIVE blades. A desk fan is no good.

Otherwise the hard work is just dispersing heat.

1234194_10151703090966997_1235231903_n.jpg

Have asked on Sufferfest about this one.

Undergoing a name change at the moment to Mr. Pol-min to reflect my internal turmoil. ;)

As someone who has made a progression from:
    training RPE > training RPE + HR (Polar) > training RPE + HR + PM (Polar)
    I think you need to have some metric to keep an eye on rather than just speed and cadence. Otherwise how do you measure progress?

Also for me November - February is all about base work, all HR guided and then build the frequency of power based sessions through the spring. (Still work to PM in the winter but not as focussed on it).

IMHO a decent HR is the first step, you could add a HR strap to your 405, but you might be better off with a cheap FT1 or FT4 Polar that will at least be accurate :p

Enter the PM boys......

Or you could get the bleeding edge latest product from Polar

1234194_10151703090966997_1235231903_n.jpg

Have asked on Sufferfest about this one.

That looks alot like a Garmin on your bars Mr Polar

That looks alot like a Garmin on your bars Mr Polar

Not mine, I only added a baby fan to my cave this year. On the look out for the big dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Thanks folks. Big fan was already on the list, will definitely get a HRM so, Polar perhaps if not a Garmin strap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Another +1 for trainer road. Uses virtual power, not sure how accurate it is but it gives you something to measure improvement against. I've seen good improvements using it, find it makes it easier to get on the turbo. Think it's around $100 for the year or $10 a month (usually works out around €7).

joey100 wrote: »
    Another +1 for trainer road. Uses virtual power, not sure how accurate it is but it gives you something to measure improvement against. I've seen good improvements using it, find it makes it easier to get on the turbo. Think it's around $100 for the year or $10 a month (usually works out around €7).

I tried it for a while on my CT, binned it as I found the supplied sessions not to my liking and the workout creator weak. But loads seem to love it and unless you are presently using some ERG software I can see what it would be a killer app for most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Basster wrote: »
    The Winter thread got me thinking, I plan on spending some proper time on the turbo over the winter, but I don't have a PM. Is a HR monitor necessary; is time on the turbo a waste of time otherwise? And by HR monitor I mean, buying one, while also making proper use of the thing.
    I spent a lot of time on the turbo during the spring but it felt unfocussed.
    I have a Garmin 405 so I assume I could attach something to that

Just to answer this point, I do 90% of my bike work on the turbo, without PM, HRMs, or any indications of effort besides to size of the sweat puddle. I'm not saying for a second that its better to train without them, but I am saying that you can make huge bike gains using just the turbo and perceived hard effort. Sufferfest vids helped me focus, and they can be utilised to good effect using only the gears of the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Just to answer this point, I do 90% of my bike work on the turbo, without PM, HRMs, or any indications of effort besides to size of the sweat puddle. I'm not saying for a second that its better to train without them, but I am saying that you can make huge bike gains using just the turbo and perceived hard effort. Sufferfest vids helped me focus, and they can be utilised to good effect using only the gears of the bike.

Very true a good indicator of a sufficiently hard turbo session is that puddle !!! If your shorts aren't soaked through with sweat then you might not be working hard enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Very true a good indicator of a sufficiently hard turbo session is that puddle !!! If your shorts aren't soaked through with sweat then you might not be working hard enough :)

Or you have just wasted your entire session by doing it in a poorly ventilated room with inadequate cooling.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    indications of effort besides to size of the sweat puddle.

If you need to wee you are not going hard enough.
    If you feel like vomiting or do vomit then you are going just right.
    If you sh1t yourself you have gone too hard.

Or you have just wasted your entire session by doing it in a poorly ventilated room with inadequate cooling.

When compared to what ? Not doing any session at all ?

At best you are left with a misguided sense of satisfaction, at worst a magnesium deficiency combined with months of ineffective training.

At best you are left with a misguided sense of satisfaction, at worst a magnesium deficiency combined with months of ineffective training.

Mmmhhh..... I wanna say something about skinning cats......

• Advertisement

BTH wrote: »
    Mmmhhh..... I wanna say something about skinning cats......

Turboing in a hot poorly ventilated room has its place - heat acclimatisation.

But if your heart is going 90 to disperse heat and you have tested your LTHR outdoors..... 170bpm on a cool road is not going to be the same effort on lungs and legs as 170bpm in hot, poorly ventilated room.

Anyways to be honest if ye all want to train in black plastic bags in saunas knock yourselves out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I was just now explaining "implication" to my daughter :)

"There is a pool of sweat under my bike because I trained hard on the turbo"

does not imply

"I trained hard on the turbo because there is a pool of sweat under my bike"

I'm saying the former, not the latter.

Turboing in a hot poorly ventilated room has its place - heat acclimatisation.

But if your heart is going 90 to disperse heat and you have tested your LTHR outdoors..... 170bpm on a cool road is not going to be the same effort on lungs and legs as 170bpm in hot, poorly ventilated room.

Anyways to be honest if ye all want to train in black plastic bags in saunas knock yourselves out!

I would argue that 170bpm on the road is not the same as 170 on the turbo under any circumstances. I can "easily" get my HR up to 170 on the road. I'm near vomiting to do so on the turbo.

I would suggest that anyone using a LTHR tested outside as a basis for turbo sessions is doing it wrong, in the same way as using a 400m TT SC isn't a basis for working out sessions in a LC pool.

Ah rubbish Dave. What your saying is there is not benefit in doing a hard turbo session if you sweat too much?
    So bear with me. You do 6 weeks of turbo (sweating a lot) and say increase your ftp by 20-30 watts then you do another 6 weeks (by sweating a lot again) and you increase your ftp again..so tell me how is that ineffective training?

I would argue that 170bpm on the road is not the same as 170 on the turbo under any circumstances. I can "easily" get my HR up to 170 on the road. I'm near vomiting to do so on the turbo.

Really - most find the opposite
    I would suggest that anyone using a LTHR tested outside as a basis for turbo sessions is doing it wrong, in the same way as using a 400m TT SC isn't a basis for working out sessions in a LC pool.

For alot yes for some (and given theirs set ups) its the same. My LTHR and FTP indoors and outdoors is as close as makes no difference.

Ah rubbish Dave. What your saying is there is not benefit in doing a hard turbo session if you sweat too much?
    So bear with me. You do 6 weeks of turbo (sweating a lot) and say increase your ftp by 20-30 watts then you do another 6 weeks (by sweating a lot again) and you increase your ftp again..so tell me how is that ineffective training?

I never said sweating too much was a bad thing. I said when the source of the heat is ventilation and cooling then you have an issue. If the source of the heat is exertion then thats fine.

Many people fool themselves into think that they worked really hard on the turbo cause of the sweat dripping off them (not referring to kurt),
    "So did you have the windows open and a fan on?"
    "No, windows closed, no fan and the heating was on. Would that make a difference?"

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Strangely, I dont know many people painfully stupid enough to turbo with the heating on and windows closed out of some sense of misguided masochism.

Oryx wrote: »
    Strangely, I dont know many people painfully stupid enough to turbo with the heating on and windows closed out of some sense of misguided masochism.

:o

I never said sweating too much was a bad thing. I said when the source of the heat is ventilation and cooling then you have an issue. If the source of the heat is exertion then thats fine.

Many people fool themselves into think that they worked really hard on the turbo cause of the sweat dripping off them (not referring to kurt),
    "So did you have the windows open and a fan on?"
    "No, windows closed, no fan and the heating was on. Would that make a difference?"

My misunderstanding then. The majority of my sweat count comes from exertion. A cooler room would make the suffering a tad more bearable . However with the window open and fans on..Floor and shorts still soaked and i mean soaked.

• Advertisement

Really - most find the opposite

I find this quite surprising. 150bpm on the turbo feels much harder than 150 beats out on the road. To me anyway. Mentally as well as physically.

Advertisement