Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please help me recover a very important "deleted" note

• 25-09-2013 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Let me get this out of the way first. I'm an Android fanboy :eek: but not one of those nuts who thinks all things Apple are bad. I just like being able to mess around with ROM's etc.

Anyway, a very good friend of mine was keeping a note on his iPhone 5. It's basically a log of work done for a number of his customers. He normally sync's his notes to iTunes on his laptop but in July his laptop broke and between one thing and another he never got around to fixing/replacing it.

On Monday night he was updating this note with work done for the previous week and he must have accidentally deleted the note as it was 'missing' when he went to look for it yesterday.

In blind panic he went into a local phone repair shop who were unable to help him recover the note but, for some reason I can't fathom, decided to upgrade his iPhone 5 to iOS 7 :confused:

I'm pretty good with phones, tablets, media players etc so he called me for help. I'm pretty sure that something like the DR Fone utility (http://www.drfone.org/iphone-data-recovery) would be worth trying in order to recover the binned note but my main concern is that the iOS 7 upgrade will have wiped any cache of deleted/binned items. Would that be true?

Given the above circumstances is there any way the deleted note can now be recovered?

I'd be VERY grateful for your input as I'm not familiar with the iOS system and don't want to make things worse!!!

Cheers,

Ben

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Did he have iCloud backup enabled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Did he have iCloud backup enabled?

Hi Prof, thanks for reverting.

Yes iCloud was turned on but for some reason there are no notes backed up. I can see his contacts in iCloud all right but no notes. Is there a 'secret' bin somewhere in iCloud which might contain the deleted note or can iCloud restore the phone to the day before he deleted the note?

Ben

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If iCloud note syncing wasn’t enabled it’s possible he had notes set to sync with one of his non-Apple email accounts. You can check this by going into Mail settings and tapping into the email account(s). There’s a on/off switch for notes. In this case it’s possible the notes are stored on the email server of Google/Yahoo/whoever and he might be able to get them from there.

Otherwise you’ll probably have to go the recovery route.

EDIT: He should also make sure they aren’t still on the phone. When Apple's (crappy) notes app encounters a conflict with the server, it usually deletes the note from the main notes folder and throws it into the On My Phone section on the Accounts page of the Notes app.

You're the man Prof ;)

I don't know why but all his notes were syncing to his Gmail account. I went in and could see all his notes EXCEPT the crucial one but when I did a search on Gmail for a term I knew was unique to the 'lost' note up it popped. I had already looked in the Bin so I don't think it was in there and I couldn't quite figure out what folder it was being stored in but I was quickly able to move it back into the Notes folder and star it as important.

Apparently there is a "serious amount of pints" coming my way. If only I could share them with you :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot, this is exactly why I love Boards :D

BTW, is there a simple note app on iTunes which has a real time/almost real time cloud sync function? I use EverNote on Android so something like that or something even simpler with less functionality would be perfect for this bloke.

Cheers,

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

evernote is available on iOS. in fact was released first on iOS :pac:

• Advertisement

evernote is available on iOS. in fact was released first on iOS :pac:

I guess someone has to beta test apps for us Android boys :P

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

Glad it worked.

If you set up iCloud email in iCloud settings you should then be able to enable Notes syncing with iCloud. It works the same way as with Gmail except there’s a proper Notes web app on iCloud.com that the notes will be synced with. To simplify things and avoid confusion it would probably be best if you moved all his existing notes over to iCloud, then disable notes syncing with Gmail and set iCloud as the default notes account. Unfortunately I don’t think there’s any easy way to move notes over to another account on iOS without having to copy and paste each note over. And disabling notes in Gmail will delete them from the phone so you’d need to be sure first.

It might be easier to just use Evernote. Apple’s Notes app isn’t particuarlly reliable in my experience. I’m not sure I’d trust any cloud syncing notes app with important data, though at least Evernote keeps a history.

Thanks everyone, your input is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben

Advertisement