Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running a Bar

Options
  • 25-09-2013 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

I have just recently taken over a small in a small country village.

The first 6 week shave been fantastic - we have the grand opening event, local festivals, summer trade but now things have quieted down a lot.

Last weekend was extremely quiet and to be honest I cant afford too many more of those.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how I can attract customers & voost my sales.
    Do any of you have your own bar? All advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Hi, I don't own a bar but I have been frequenting my local bar lately which has recently opened. They've been doing some great bits and pieces to attract people in and it's really been working. People will make the effort to go out if they've something fun/different to go to.
    Occasional themed nights e.g. A fancy dress night...don't forget a prize! A ladies night have some music or something to get the atmosphere going, glass of bubbly and give a little prize for best outfit/shoes/hat or something. A student night - celebrate back to college/mid-term/ed of exams etc...student promo and make sure there's a bus to the local nightclub?
    Trad sessions if there's a few musicians in the area
    Come up with some reason or other for a "gathering" with the year that's in it!
    Try and attract people to have parties in your place; 18ths, 21st's, 30th's, 40th's, engagement parties, night after the wedding parties etc are all still a big business. Offer to supply the finger food/cake/decorations or something to attract. If place is small, you can still do a party corner.
    A well managed facebook page to advertise all of the above.
    It's also very important to get involved with the local businesses, food suppliers, musicians/DJs, taxi drivers etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Out of interest have you got many craft beers - very popular at the moment and would make me pick a pub over others. (within reason)

Quiz night first Thursday of the month kind of thing is a good idea.

What have you tried yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MD1981

Thank you both for your replies - its great to hear other people's thoughts.
    I have my poor Gf & my family head fried asking their thoughts & opinions.

I am working on a schedule for Oct as we speak.

Recently Thur & Fri is trad nights & Saturdays is either Rock or Country, like to vary it about, however as last weekend was very quiet the entertainment did not pay - something I am scared of happening frequently.

Quiz night sounds like a good idea Keedowah - this is something I will look into - def worth a try.

We sell a local beer that has recently been launched in the market - its going quite well with the locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

3rd week of september is VERY quiet in all retail /service areas. Childrens allowance spent, wages spent on back to school - even the better off are feeling the pinch towards the end of september (and not just in this recession - I've seen this for countless years.)

This weekend is pay day for monthly pay, children's allowance is next Tuesday - bit of spare cash is about again.

Expect even worse for end of January - its something you just have to accept.

One thing that is getting stronger is Darts and also look at card games (poker is near dead - so avoid) for the age/person profile in the area such as bridge or 25's.

Another idea is to offer an area of the pub for residents meetings or other groups with nominal charge for tea/coffee & biscuits. No real money in that on its own, but people are creatures of habit, and if they are in your pub for one thing, they should return for something else - and the goodwill factor is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

MD1981 wrote: »
    We sell a local beer that has recently been launched in the market - its going quite well with the locals.

Whats the local beer? Do you have a choice of others aswell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 jameseverard

how are you getting on now

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Man With No Name

Nothing beats a craft beer tasting day.

Bring in a couple of local brewers and get them to sel their beer/cider at a discounted rate for that night. (It gives them a new outlet for customers and you get people in looking for something different).

Throw on a trad band or a local band looking for a gig is a good idea.

Open Mic nights are good as well. Musicians who only have one or two songs are always looking for a space to play.

You could even run a battle of the bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

I think you will be waiting a while for a reply given the thread is almost 2 years old.

dbran

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement