Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phablet - Large memory and good battery life

• 25-09-2013 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently bought a nexus 4, and while it's great, the battery life isn't the best.

Since I travel a lot, I'd like some sort of hybrid tablet/phone. I want something with a lot of memory (for tv/films) and good battery life. Also, since I just bought the nexus 4, I don't want to break the bank with the new purchase.

For now, the obvious choice seems to be the Galaxy note 1/2.

Can anyone give me any advice? Am I missing an obvious alternative (I don't just want a wifi tablet, because I want something 3g enabled).

Cheers,
    M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I'm rocking a Note II, and I absolutely love it. Battery is fairly cracking, and the quality of what it does is excellent.

The one thing is that the phone doesn't have LTE/4G support, but you'll still get a good deal of use out of it into the future. You're more than likely not even on a pricey contract that will entitle you to the service anyway.

Personally, go for the Note II, purely for futureproofing reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Cheers - How much should I expect to pay for a Note 2 at this stage (second hand)?

Also, can I buy the memory card (64gb) separately afterwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I guess one alternative would be the Asus Padfone 2. I bought one for my Dad and he loves it, he wanted a tablet, but needed it to have 3G as well and this saves on having to buy an extra device, and also on an extra sim card/data plan.

Main downside is that while it does have 32GB storage, there is no SD slot. They are about to launch the successor: Asus Padfone Infinity, which has better specs and a microSD slot.

Other things you should look at are Galaxy Note 3 which is available from today, the Samsung Mega which has a 6.3" screen, and as it is a second phone (as far as I can make out from your OP) what about a chinese version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

You can expect to pay around €300-400 for the Note II, even after today's launch.
    As for the Note III that the previous poster suggested, you're looking at €699-750, and that's from Amazon, SIM Free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Yes, it would be a second phone. Is there a chinese version of the note 2? Don't know much about chinese phones. Are they reliable/comparable? Will they be stopped by customs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Cheers - How much should I expect to pay for a Note 2 at this stage (second hand)?

Also, can I buy the memory card (64gb) separately afterwards?

I've seen them go for 350 ish, I've got a 64gb card in mine running just fine. Total memory is 80gb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Droid Razr Maxx HD if you want a beast of a battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

neacy69 wrote: »
    It's 3G but can't function as a gsm phone as it's hobbled in hardware. Some folks have tried and failed to crack it. I read it that the op wants a tablet sized phone.

Advertisement