Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone insurance - will they approve my claim?

Options
  • 25-09-2013 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

I bought a sim-free Sony Xperia P phone on eBay in November 2012.

I took out insurance on it with Ulster Bank uFirst Gold account (insurance provided by CPP Insurance) straight away.

It was stolen from me in February 2012.

I reported it to the guards within 24 hours and my insurance company within 48 hours.

I asked the insurance company do I have to make the claim within a certain time frame, and they said no. So, due to laziness, I still haven't made the claim yet.

I now want to go ahead and make the claim, however I'm getting this horrible feeling that I'll be knocked back.
    I emailed the company I bought the phone from on eBay (cyber-gate) and asked them to send me an invoice for the phone.
    They e-mailed me one but said that most insurance companies won't insure phones that were bought on eBay.
    Furthermore, the invoice doesn't have the IMEI number on it, and the insurance company's T&C state that the invoice/receipt for the phone must have the IMEI number on it. (I have responded to the store asking them to send me another invoice, this time including the IMEI. Currently awaiting response.)
    Also, when I was talking to the insurance company originally, they said that they don't accept receipts that I've got through email and printed out.

So now I'm worried that my insurance company, who I have been paying monthly fees to for almost a year, and who never told me ANY of this information when I was registering my phone with them, won't fulfill my claim.

It seems really unfair, to me. When I was joining the insurance, there was nothing anywhere that said "We don't insure phones sold on eBay." and there was nothing that said "We don't accept receipts via email / printed from email" and there was nothing that said "It is unlikely that your phone receipt will have an IMEI number on it."

Is there anything I can do in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Submit your claim and see what the outcome is. I note their policy wording states that you have to notify of them of a claim within 48 hours and nothing further. so you shouldnt have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭mickzer

I bought a sim-free Sony Xperia P phone on eBay in November 2012.

I took out insurance on it with Ulster Bank uFirst Gold account (insurance provided by CPP Insurance) straight away.

It was stolen from me in February 2012.

??????:confused:

mickzer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I thought you had to submit a claim within 48hrs??

Anyhoo, i just got a phone off them before i left the country as mine was lost. Never put stolen down....

Its with aviva now. You fill in the details online to make a claim through your ufirst login. And it tells you straight away if its accepted or not.

I filled in my details, explanation of lost phone, and done, was accepted. Paid the €90 excess fee.

Had phone in 24 hrs, no calls, no asking for ,receipts, no id, nothing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I thought you had to submit a claim within 48hrs??

You have to report the incident with in 48 hours. There is no time limit on submitting the documents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Anyhoo, i just got a phone off them before i left the country as mine was lost. Never put stolen down....

Its with aviva now. You fill in the details online to make a claim through your ufirst login. And it tells you straight away if its accepted or not.

I filled in my details, explanation of lost phone, and done, was accepted. Paid the €90 excess fee.

Had phone in 24 hrs, no calls, no asking for ,receipts, no id, nothing...

Jesus, that sounds amazing. I hope it all goes that smoothly for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement