Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Krakow for Christmas markets and what else to do?

• 25-09-2013 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

My husband and I have just booked a weekend in Krakow, I have always wanted to go to a decent Christmas market so we are going at the start of December so we can see the Christmas markets. We are going on a Friday afternoon and returning late Monday, so we have two and a half days.

First of all, is the Christmas market in Krakow any good? I can’t see us spending more than half a day at the markets, so what else should we not miss in Krakow? As awful as it sounds, due to the time of year and reason for visit, we aren’t interested in seeing Auswitz as I have no doubt it would be very upsetting. Other than that, we like history, beautiful buildings, quant shops, good food and lively pubs. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Libbybelle wrote: »
    My husband and I have just booked a weekend in Krakow, I have always wanted to go to a decent Christmas market so we are going at the start of December so we can see the Christmas markets. We are going on a Friday afternoon and returning late Monday, so we have two and a half days.

First of all, is the Christmas market in Krakow any good? I can’t see us spending more than half a day at the markets, so what else should we not miss in Krakow? As awful as it sounds, due to the time of year and reason for visit, we aren’t interested in seeing Auswitz as I have no doubt it would be very upsetting. Other than that, we like history, beautiful buildings, quant shops, good food and lively pubs. Thanks in advance!

The Salt Mines??

http://www.wieliczka-saltmine.com/?__utma=1.1840401473.1380123165.1380123165.1380123165.1&__utmb=1.1.10.1380123165&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1380123165.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=%28organic%29|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=%28not%20provided%29&__utmv=-&__utmk=122100875

Other stuff here

http://www.seekrakow.com

Oh ps Christmas market is very good, and nice atmosphere around

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Libbybelle

Thank you for the suggestions Vic. The salt mine looks interesting. Is it possible to visit without booking a guided tour? Is it far from the city?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can't just wander around the salt mines. You have to be taken in groups.
    You don't have to book. If you show up you'll be put in the next group for your language.
    You can get there by train or bus from near Galeria Krakowska beside the train station. It's about 8 miles out of the city centre.
    http://www.wieliczka-saltmine.com/visiting/visitor-s-guide/how-to-get-to-the-mine/how-to-get-to-the-mine-tourist-route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Libbybelle wrote: »
    First of all, is the Christmas market in Krakow any good?

Myself and the wife were there a few years ago. We only went there for a day and a half (she worked for an airline then and we got a free flight!). The Christmas market is quite small but it does have a lot of European type decorations and a lot of wood carved toys which I was quite impressed with. After that you have the normal Gluwein stands and ones selling roasted chestnuts. You will probably spend around two hours checking it out at most. We didn't have enough time to see the Saltmines but it is very impressive according to friends who have seen it. Maybe when you have finished with the markets you can walk to Wawel Castle which is within walking distance of the market square.

We did find a lovely restaurant in the old Jewish side of the town near the museum. I will see if I can find its name tonight. The city itself is very compact, the architecture is nice and the locals are friendly. We found the food was good and value for money anywhere we ate. We stayed in the Stary Hotel and would highly recommend it if you haven't booked anywhere yet. http://www.stary.hotel.com.pl/stary_en/Home

We will go back just to get to the Saltmines and to see Auschwitz but we'll wait until our kid is a little bigger and head when it is warmer for that trip. Enjoy yourself it is a lovely city to visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭flahers

Krakow is very beautiful and you will have a wonderful time. The Christmas markets, while small, have a very plentiful array of decorations which are very different to the ones you get at the German markets and really cheap as is everything there from accommodation, restaurants, taxi's etc. There are also two great shopping centres.
    Be sure to visit the Salt mines, a very different experience and well worth it and also if you're interested in history a visit to Auchwitz is a must even though it can be very sad. Weather can be very cold, maybe even snow so be sure to wrap up well. Oh and forgot to mention there is a free walking tour l every morning around ten o clock leaving from the market square. The receptionist at your hotel should know about it and you can give a tip at the end. It was very informative. Have a look on Trip advisor, plenty of info there. Enjoy every minute of a very beautiful city.

• Advertisement
Advertisement