Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullying in the workplace

Options
  • 25-09-2013 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all, just looking for some help. I put in a bullying complaint against my boss, the report came back that no bullying took place but her behaviour needed to be addressed. She has not been in work since I put in the complaint and now four months later after she refused to do mediation I have been told that she is to return to work, I'm absolutely terrified of this woman and believe she is going to make my working life very difficult, is there anything I can do !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Are you in a union? Bullying is very serious and if you report it and your employer does not follow the appropriate steps to solve the problem, they can be liable under Employer's liability.

Was the conduct repeated? Inappropriate? Undermining of dignity at work?

That's your basic checklist.

Did you consult with HR?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shazzasharrie

Yes I did consult hr, I'm not in union. I recorded incidents of her abusing me on my phone but the company wouldn't listen to them they said they were covert, I kept a diary and the company brought someone from outside the company in to investigate but it took 2 months for him to interview any witnesses and other witnesses that have left because of this woman were not interviewed even though one of them were present when there was an incident, even HR are scared of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mollymum

Hi Shazzasharrie,

Does your employer/manager know that she refused mediation? If not I would put this fact in writing to them. Perhaps you could talk (formally, ie on the record) to your line manager about your concerns about her returning to work and ask for their support.

What I mean by that is there will be a nominated person there with whom you can discuss any issues that arise. Someone else will just be on alert for inappropriate behaviour. If the conclusion of the process you went through was that her behaviour needed to be addressed then there was some recognition that there was a problem. And is she refused to address this problem through mediation then you could legitimately expect your line manager to help ensure this problem does not resurface.

Yes management, they were the ones informed me and said they didn't where to go from here, she's seems to be one step ahead of them all the way, it's hard to prove what's going on without a camera, she denies everything and threatens them with solicitors. Lack of witnesses is the real problem and she's very smart and waits until there's nobody around. Two people have left because of her in the last 6 months and I'm afraid I think I'll be next to go management in my opinion are not able for her !! I'll have to speak to them and see what's the next step as I couldn't believe it when they said she was coming back to work and has refused to take part in mediation... Stressed out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Glinda

OP, your complaint was not upheld, is that correct? In other words, (and please correct me if I'm wrong) but it seems the investigator's report stated that you had not been bullied by this woman?

If they did recommend that her behaviour be addressed then the company must take proper steps to do this, but if the investigation cleared her of bullying you then you need to be careful about repeating the allegation in case she has grounds for a complaint against you, or even a legal case for defamation.

Nobody can be forced to take part in mediation, it is a voluntary process. I imagine this lady is taking the view that she was cleared of bullying and therefore did nothing wrong. (Not saying that she's in the right, but she was investigated and cleared, rightly or wrongly).

Mediation/reconciliation processes can be very helpful in restoring damaged relationships, but she would need to agree to this and she has refused, which she is entitled to do.

The company would be very unwise to do nothing to address the relationship difficulties though, if they expect you to continue to work together, so you could approach HR and ask whether they have a plan for handling the situation. These things are very difficult to manage though, and she is entitled to have shortcomings in her performance managed with the same confidentiality that anyone else could expect in the circumstances, which may mean that you are not entitled to be involved.

I hope I don't come across as unsympathetic, just trying to be practical - the investigator did not find in your favour, which places you in a very difficult position.

• Advertisement

Yes she was cleared if bullying but he did say her behaviour for someone in position was unexceptable and needed to be addressed. He said no bullying took place in line with the companies policy on bullying but I feel it's the policy that left me down. She has been accused in the past and the victims just end up leaving. Hr have no plan in place as of yet and shortly before I put in my complaint another member of staff also put in a complaint but he just left and she went to his new place of employment and caused him to lose his job there so hopefully someone else will follow through with a complaint and at some stage they can sort her out. I know I'm in a position where I can't complain again as it will look like I'm harassing her. Thanks for the comments ..

Advertisement