Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polyester board

Options
  • 25-09-2013 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all,

I'm looking a bit advice about what surfboard to buy. I am a beginner looking to buy my first board and will be surfing in small enough waves (Wexford & Waterford). I was thinking of buying something about 7'8 or 7 10'. I'm 5'4 and 55kg so I'm not sure if this may be a bit big. I've seen a second hand 7' 8 polyester resin mini mal for sale but I have read that polyester is heavier than epoxy so I'm a bit worried that it may be difficult to catch waves on. I've put the full dimension below. Any info would be appreciated.
    Sarah

7'8" x 15 1/2" x 21 1/4" x 14 1/2" x 2 3/4"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭blainj2

The fact that you are a beginner and still learning i would just go for an epoxy board. They are more durable and dont damage as easily as a polyester board. They are also lighter and sit on top of the water more which should help you catch more waves to help you improve faster. They should be cheaper too.

As for size i wouldn't be sure for you as you are very light so could probably get away with a slightly smaller board for a beginner. It depends on what level you are at too. If you are surfing unbroken waves and able to surf across the face of the wave you could go fairly small but if you are still just practicing popping up and catching white water then a smaller board could stint your progress.

Don't know if there are any surf shops around that area but the ones in Donegal stock a large range of second hand boards. If there is something similar down there you should pop in and see what they have and you could get some good advice and get a feel for a few different boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bof

Isn't polyester something shirts and sheets are made of?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭blainj2

http://www.islesurfboards.com/epoxy-surfboards-buyers-guide.aspx

Its polyester resin that's used on Polyurethane for traditional boards. The link explains the difference in the construction of the two boards pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Squeakf99

Hey, I'm based in Wexford and often surf in Tramore but the shops there are pretty limited in the second hand boards they sell. I find it grand popping up on the foam boards. I was able to rent a 7'6 epoxy recently and found it a little more difficult to balance on but then again with practice it would be fine I think. I'm still surfing the white water alright so I've pretty much decided 7'6 or 7'8. I've been looking a month now and am yet to find an undamaged epoxy board of this size anywhere wihin 100 miles of Wexford . If nothing comes up I might have to go polyester for now seen as its costing me a fortune to travel to Tramore to rent everytime. Thanks a mill for the help

Advertisement