Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Refused

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We do accept credit cards and, within reason, don't have a minimum fee set in stone for the customer to use one.

That does not make sense. You either accept Credit Cards for all purchases or you do not. What is "within reason" then?

Nobody forces the consumer to buy it either. Get a bill phone if it bothers you that much. €10 of credit costs a retailer more than €10 to buy. They won't sell it at a loss and nor should they. I don't see your issue with that to be honest.

Or buy your credit online with your debit card and actually get the full amount of pre-pay you paid for. It also means not having to call in to the Central on the way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The reason the phone credit is expensive is simply because the mobile companies can now very easily processes a top up on line from your credit or debit card.

They are unlikely to want to encourage people to use vouchers as it costs them more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

That does not make sense. You either accept Credit Cards for all purchases or you do not. What is "within reason" then?

Because some people have attempted to use credit cards to pay for transactions like a lotto quick pick (profit 24c c.c charges more than that) and a bottle of water, etc etc etc.

Because some people have attempted to use credit cards to pay for transactions like a lotto quick pick (profit 24c c.c charges more than that) and a bottle of water, etc etc etc.

You have missed the point. I can understand having a minimum set but he said they do not have a limit; only to add "within reason". So they do have a limit!

• Advertisement

You have missed the point. I can understand having a minimum set but he said they do not have a limit; only to add "within reason". So they do have a limit!

The "withreason reason" comment was, I am sure, a common sense thing.

There is no point being silly and splitting hairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

I wouldn't accept a credit card for a pack of gum for arguments sake. As a rule of thumb if somebody is spending even €3 or €4 I'll accomodate them. In my last job there was a €10 minimum for any card transaction. I don't have a notice up in my current job, common sense has prevailed on both sides of the counter so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I was buying my student bus ticket today which costs E91.50 for 30 days. When I handed in my credit card to pay the shop said sorry we don't take those, only debit. This happened in two more shops. They hadn't even put the card in the machine for payment, they just blankly refused. I used it to pay in the 4th shop.

Does anyone have an explanation as to why this is happening?
    Under the merchant credit card scheme they signed up for they cant do that. i get on to mastercard and/or visa about it. they cant pick and choose what transactions/cards they take under the rules of the scheme. read section 5.10 from the mastercard scheme rules. http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchant/pdf/BM-Entire_Manual_public.pdf

They can be fined/ or have their credit card facilties taken away for this and trust me mastercard and visa take this very serious.

Not taking credit cards at all is a different matter.
    Contactless credit card transactions are free at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

irishgeo wrote: »
    Under the merchant credit card scheme they signed up for they cant do that. i get on to mastercard and/or visa about it. they cant pick and choose what transactions/cards they take under the rules of the scheme. read section 5.10 from the mastercard scheme rules. http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchant/pdf/BM-Entire_Manual_public.pdf

They can be fined/ or have their credit card facilties taken away for this and trust me mastercard and visa take this very serious.

Not taking credit cards at all is a different matter.

As I said earlier I have a credit card terminal and I don't think I have ever refused a card of any type. But if I was going to make a loss on a card I absolutely would refuse it regardless of what the rules say. The retailer does not exist to facilitate a loss on a sale to a customer who has no cash and can't be bothered to go to an ATM to get some (not directed at you OP). So if Visa or Mastercard were to enforce these rules I think you might find there would be a lot less credit card terminals around.

1) Those are the US merchant agreements for MasterCard USA. In general here, the machine's issued by a bank or other company that handles credit card transactions for the retailer, not by MasterCard or Visa directly.

2)

Not with AIB they aren't. Bank of Ireland are running some kind of a promotional introductory offer.

edit:

Looks like AIB joined the party :

'A: The account transaction fee of 0.20c is being waived for all Contactless transactions from launch until 28th February 2014. However, for non-euro Contactless transactions the Point of Sale Currency Conversion Fee of 1.75% of euro value Min EUR0.45 - Max EUR11.00 applies.'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

SpaceTime wrote: »
    They're not exactly running the transactions networks on the cheap, that's for sure!
    Transaction networks are crazy expensive to keep running and it's especially hard to make any money on the acquirer end of the card business (the end that looks after POS devices and the payment networks they connect to). The following page breaks down a typical merchant charge:

http://www.transactionworld.net/articles/2008/February/commonGround1.asp

Spoiler: I've been working in the world of electronic payments for around 15 years.

European merchants are actually entitled to surcharge for credit cards under that agreement you quoted above, provided they indicate this.
    Rule 5.11.2 of Chapter 5 does not apply in the EEA.
    If a Merchant applies a surcharge for payment by Card, the amount or method of calculation of the surcharge must be clearly indicated to the Cardholder at the POI location and must bear a reasonable relationship to the Merchant’s cost of accepting Cards.

The biggest issue in Europe is that they've become a duopoly of Visa and MasterCard.

The US has other smaller alternatives like American Express and Discover Card.

In Europe the banks are ever more reliant on the big two brands now for debit cards too.

We used to have national debit card platforms like Laser that could have become a bigger pan EU alternative had they linked up together.

EuroCard / Europay also got swallowed by MasterCard. That shouldn't have been allowed to happen.

We urgently need alternative payment solutions. Surprising how badly the EU competition commission has dropped the ball on this. They're very aggressive with any possible monopolists in other sectors.

The biggest issue in Europe is that they've become a duopoly of Visa and MasterCard.

The US has other smaller alternatives like American Express and Discover Card.

In Europe the banks are ever more reliant on the big two brands now for debit cards too.

We used to have national debit card platforms like Laser that could have become a bigger pan EU alternative had they linked up together.

EuroCard / Europay also got swallowed by MasterCard. That shouldn't have been allowed to happen.

We urgently need alternative payment solutions. Surprising how badly the EU competition commission has dropped the ball on this. They're very aggressive with any possible monopolists in other sectors.
    Try using American Express in the US. 70% of stores won't accept it. They may have more CC companies but some are of much use.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The biggest issue in Europe is that they've become a duopoly of Visa and MasterCard. The US has other smaller alternatives like American Express and Discover Card.
    Amex and Discover already operate networks in Europe. And China Union Pay is setting up too.
    There are many technical reasons, as well as political reasons why that didn't happen. Most of them boil down to the simple fact that Visa and MasterCard run cheaper networks.
    We urgently need alternative payment solutions.
    There are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of alternate payment systems and networks. None of them have taken off because they're more expensive or with less coverage or both.
    Surprising how badly the EU competition commission has dropped the ball on this. They're very aggressive with any possible monopolists in other sectors.
    The EU has, for many years, been pushing SEPA as well as pursuing both Visa and MasterCard for a range of anti-trust and anti-competition issues. You can find many articles on both if you google for "mastercard eu" and "Visa card eu", or anything more specific.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭trellheim

tl;dr no obligation to accept cards on any retailer.

One of my lads had an ejit in recently who demanded his card be accepted and apparently, as he "worked in a bank" he knew we could not refuse it.

He went quiet when my guy pointed out he didn't even have to take cash of him, never mind a credit card.

DOPE.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭irishgeo

One of my lads had an ejit in recently who demanded his card be accepted and apparently, as he "worked in a bank" he knew we could not refuse it.

He went quiet when my guy pointed out he didn't even have to take cash of him, never mind a credit card.

DOPE.

People wonder then why small shops are closing down.

People wonder then why small shops are closing down.
    Quite right. People think they can pay for a bottle of water and hand you a card. That could put me into a loss. It just cannot be done.

Next week there will be a massive influx of roses tins at 5.99.

That price gives 3%. So 6 multiplied by 3c is 18c. A credit card will cost more to process than the profit. I can see it happening already. :(

In the U.S., I have seen cash prices and card prices. I wonder will this come in over here?

If your profit margins are that low on the product, is there any point in even stocking it though?

I mean, I can understand how a supermarket might operate on 3% but, a small shop couldn't possibly do that across everything as they simply wouldn't have the volume of transactions to make profit.

• Advertisement

If your profit margins are that low on the product, is there any point in even stocking it though?

I mean, I can understand how a supermarket might operate on 3% but, a small shop couldn't possibly do that across everything as they simply wouldn't have the volume of transactions to make profit.

Thats an excellent point. I am affilitated to a symbol group and Roses is a KVI line that will be everywhere as a 5.99 deal. Tv and Radio. Its already on the radio for Tesco.

I am still open minded about what price to go out at, but I am sick of people complaining "this or that is in tesco/dunnes/aldi so much cheaper, you're very expensive"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,980 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They don't make a profit on them but by selling them they hope people will buy something else that they have a decent profit on at the same time. Kinda like supermarkets selling below costs to attract customers, except small retailers don't get to choose.

The other day in Lidl I saw a person put 37 cent on a card.

Well, if it's like almost a loss leader that would make sense but, I think people are being a read unrealistic if they think the local convenience store can price as low as Aldi

Well, if it's like almost a loss leader that would make sense but, I think people are being a read unrealistic if they think the local convenience store can price as low as Aldi

EXACTLY!. But from experience I can honestly say nobody cares, thats your problem not mine, sentiments that foggy lad has echoed here many times. If you cannot/don't want to do it - close!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Foggy lad lets say you work in Q ltd. you receive €100 per week in wages (selling price) it costs you €75 per week in bus fares to get to work (cost price) so you have €25 for yourself (profit) and everyone is happy.

If the bus fares rise to €110 (costs going up) do you

("If ye have a problem with the costs then ye are in the wrong business and should close up shop")

Close up shop and not go to work anymore (taking your own advice)

Or go to your employer and ask for a payrise (increase your price and pass on the increased costs to the end user).

The product in question here are your labour hours which you are in effect selling to your employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

So...um...thanks for responding and giving a fascinating insight into the world of SMEs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

So...um...thanks for responding and giving a fascinating insight into the world of SMEs.
    You are very welcome:D You didn't expect such a response, did You?

Advertisement