Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour's overgrown garden blocking the sun

Options
  • 25-09-2013 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

This one is inspired by a house viewing we went to recently. The house (a semi) was quite darkish, mostly because the neighbours let their gardens go. Multiple overgrown trees and bushes in both front and back gardens, very unkempt; blocking out the sun in the afternoon like a wall. Easily the jungliest garden in the whole road. Other gardens had low foliage or just lawns - if only this one was kept like this.

Are there any regulations regarding such issues? Can a neighbour block your sun with their gardening ambitions (or the lack of them)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mhge wrote: »
    Neighbour's overgrown garden blocking the sun

I thought it was the fog! :pac:
    mhge wrote: »
    Are there any regulations regarding such issues?
    To my knowledge, no. You can remove anything that overhangs your garden, but otherwise you need the neighbour's permission.

What has the neighbour said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

No idea, did not talk to them as it was just an open viewing! The house that was for sale was rented out so if the landlord/tenant did not care enough perhaps they never broached it with the neighbour. Trimming it on your side would not help as it was the height that was the problem and you can't do anything about that. We probably wouldn't go for this one anyway but just wondering in case we meet such a case in the future? The seller should probably bribe the neighbour to take a chainsaw to the jungle as it would transform their house! Both houses actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Realistically there's no equivalent of the UK right-to-light, which wouldn't even apply if the house was under 20 years old in the first place and only applies to blocking sun from windows at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

MYOB wrote: »
    Realistically there's no equivalent of the UK right-to-light, which wouldn't even apply if the house was under 20 years old in the first place and only applies to blocking sun from windows at that.

And generally only applies to "development" rather than overgrown trees - hence all of the debate about leylandii in the UK inspiring Chris Mullin as a Labour minister (and former Birmingham six campaigner) to try to change the law.

OP: If it's rented out, I'd approach the owner and offer to remove them for free. Not such an easy proposition if you're not already living there. It would be an odd landlord who didn't fancy a bit of a free tidy up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Marcusm wrote: »
    And generally only applies to "development" rather than overgrown trees - hence all of the debate about leylandii in the UK inspiring Chris Mullin as a Labour minister (and former Birmingham six campaigner) to try to change the law.

Didn't our minister for justice make noises about limiting boundary hedges and trees to two metres earlier this year. I don't think anything came of it yet though.
    Marcusm wrote: »
    OP: If it's rented out, I'd approach the owner and offer to remove them for free. Not such an easy proposition if you're not already living there. It would be an odd landlord who didn't fancy a bit of a free tidy up.

Why offer to do his maintenance for free? I'd be more inclined letting him know that you felt it would be a more attractive prospect, if it wasn't so overgrown/dark. Or possibly approach the neighbour, and sound them out. Their attitude could influence your decision to buy, or not too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Karede

From a different point of view...I have a large tree out my back garden and i know it blocks the sun from a portion of my neighbours back garden. (Although they have never commented on it)

If I was to trim it down the neighbour at the back of me could see directly into my garden and house. I would have no privacy otherwise as they are on a slight hill.

It's unfortunate for my neighbour to my right but I would fight against having to trim it down.

The rest of the garden is well kept! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If you "suspected" vermin were lingering/nesting in the overgrowth, the council might get involved. There have been posts on here before that indicated that this happens.

All interesting points, thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

Was this Mount Eagle by any chance. If so, it just looked to me like the neighbour was a keen gardener!

Nope - this neighbour was not an avid gardener trust me :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement