Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Qatar working 'slaves' to death for World Cup infrastructure project

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That is awful, its absolutely shocking what is going on there. I can see players refusing to play there after this. It will be the biggest disaster of a World Cup ever I feel. There is just too many things wrong with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Not surprised, but you will be surprised at how meagre the reaction is.

It is a disgrace, and many similar practices took place in the UAE also.

Sadly the players won't care. Nothing will change and the show will go on. Greedy millionaires won't be spilling too many tears for Nepali slaves, that's the reality of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

eagle eye wrote: »
    That is awful, its absolutely shocking what is going on there. I can see players refusing to play there after this. It will be the biggest disaster of a World Cup ever I feel. There is just too many things wrong with it.

The tragic part is just how not shocking it actual is though. Everyone knew this sort of stuff happened, happens and would continue to happen in Qatar, and yet they were awarded the tournament.

"Oh crap, they don't allow alcohol"
    "Oh crap, they don't allow gay people"
    "Oh crap, it's really hot there in Summer"
    "Oh crap, they use slave labour to build stadia"

What ever will FIFA cop onto next??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Public floggings.

Being gay/lesbian is ILLEGAL!

No freedom of expression, life sentences handed out for having an opinion.

The country is a human rights disgrace, FIFA shouldn't be giving the likes of these anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

The official response to the guardians claims

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2013/sep/25/qatar-world-cup-official-response

The old blame it on one dodgy subcontractor defense, it would be nice to believe the press from this will lead to the government actually enforcing all the laws and requirements they state are in place but I have my doubts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Should have been expected. Only one man knows why the hell this place was awarded the tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

oldyouth wrote: »
    Should have been expected. Only one man knows why the hell this place was awarded the tournament.

I would imaging it involved a very large bag of money.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I would imaging it involved a very large bag of money.
    Don't be ridiculous. It was obviously in a suitcase.
    The official response to the guardians claims

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2013/sep/25/qatar-world-cup-official-response

The old blame it on one dodgy subcontractor defense, it would be nice to believe the press from this will lead to the government actually enforcing all the laws and requirements they state are in place but I have my doubts.
    It's total horseshít.

It's not like this was just one little group of guys being over-worked and abused. It's systemic, state-sanctioned and not a new story :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Lets see how the Barca PR machine spins this. By wearing that logo in their shirts they are condoning this sort of crap from the Qatari "government" (aka royalty).

"more than a club" my hoop.

It's not like this was just one little group of guys being over-worked and abused. It's systemic, state-sanctioned and not a new story :(
    From last year: http://www.hrw.org/news/2012/06/12/qatar-migrant-construction-workers-face-abuse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Absolutely disgusting.

Simon Reeve has a good documentary called Tropic of Cancer. In it, he visits UAE and looks at the treatment of migrant workers in Dubai. Its absolutely shocking. They make them take out extortionate loans to travel from India / Bangladesh, make them work in apalling condition, and house them in migrant camps well outside the city.

They bus them into the sites and actually close off roads they travel in on so the ordinary Joe in Dubai doesn't ever have to see them.

It's reprehensible. All those petro-dollars enriching the elite who in turn are engaging in slavery. In the 21st century. And FIFA love it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I've often said that the Qatar situation (them being awarded the WC) was a complete farce but let's be careful with language here folks, the story linked and many of the things you hear about in relation to goings on in Qatar are deplorable but we can't paint an entire nation with the same paint brush. I won't edit another post to avoid taking mod action, yes it's a heated subject that all (imo) should strongly object to but do so in a way that won't breach the charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The only way we'll send a message is by not watching it.

But when it comes to it how many of us really care about Nepali slaves or human rights issues there.

If the FA for one are serious about their campaign for equality campaigns they wouldn't even send the England team there. Would they?

Pig spotted flying over London

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Jesus, this World Cup is becoming more stomach churning by the minute.

Would love an individual FA somewhere to just come out and boycott it for all the reasons we know it shouldn't take place. Could start something big.

Come on Delaney! The country would be 100% behind you. You could be remembered as the man that gave the bloated whore that is football back her dignity!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Seaneh wrote: »
    Lets see how the Barca PR machine spins this. By wearing that logo in their shirts they are condoning this sort of crap from the Qatari "government" (aka royalty).

Barca fans don't care. They stick their fingers in the ears and go 'la la la other clubs have done X and Y la la la'.

I bet football fans in general won't care either. If this is still a runner when the qualifying process begins what needs to happen is fans all over the world boycotting WC2022 matches. And refusing to travel to the tournament proper. Will that happen? Will it ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

It is more than just a club - it's a PR machine for laundering the reputation of human rights abusers, exactly like Man City is, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Sad that it's only getting attention now, this has been going on for years in Qatar, Dubai, the UAE,...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Sad that it's only getting attention now, this has been going on for years in Qatar, Dubai, the UAE,...

It's only getting attention on soccer forums you mean. I's's been well documented over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

this is sickening.

I've no confidence that fifa will do the right thing and pull the WC from there.

I can only hope some players stand up and withdraw. I won't be watching the tournament there anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

bad2dabone wrote: »
    this is sickening.

I've no confidence that fifa will do the right thing and pull the WC from there.

I can only hope some players stand up and withdraw. I won't be watching the tournament there anyway.

Realistically if a biased media want to have a pop at the host of a sporting event then its trivially easy to do so, which is what we are seeing here.

And I'm not defending what some private contractors are doing via mistreatment of workers whilst a government does little.
    Merely pointing out that if any of their rivals for 2022 (which from memory was Australia and USA) had won instead it would not be difficult to come up with similar abuses, e.g., you could flood the papers for weeks with the continuing injustices about the treatment of the aboriginal people, their high mortality rates, low education rates, abject representation at all levels of Aussie society from policing to politics.
    Do this for a few weeks and plenty of people would be wondering why FIFA won't do the decent thing and take it away from Australia.

Realistically if a biased media want to have a pop at the host of a sporting event then its trivially easy to do so, which is what we are seeing here.

And I'm not defending what some private contractors are doing via mistreatment of workers whilst a government does little.
    Merely pointing out that if any of their rivals for 2022 (which from memory was Australia and USA) had won instead it would not be difficult to come up with similar abuses, e.g., you could flood the papers for weeks with the continuing injustices about the treatment of the aboriginal people, their high mortality rates, low education rates, abject representation at all levels of Aussie society from policing to politics.
    Do this for a few weeks and plenty of people would be wondering why FIFA won't do the decent thing and take it away from Australia.

Whataboutery bullsh*t at its most contemptible. 44 Napalese workers in Qatar have DIED since the 4th of June. Find anything close to this level of abuse in Australia or the USA. I'll wait.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Whataboutery bullsh*t at its most contemptible. 44 Napalese workers in Qatar have DIED since the 4th of June. Find anything close to this level of abuse in Australia or the USA. I'll wait.

Well you can keep waiting then, I'm not going to get into some childish game of quantifying abuses or worker mortality rates worldwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

gosplan wrote: »
    Jesus, this World Cup is becoming more stomach churning by the minute.

Would love an individual FA somewhere to just come out and boycott it for all the reasons we know it shouldn't take place. Could start something big.

Come on Delaney! The country would be 100% behind you. You could be remembered as the man that gave the bloated whore that is football back her dignity!!

+1.

It would be one way to stick it to that arrogant Blatter.

Also,I hope to fcuk that Channel 4 or someone do a documentary on this soon and get the ball rolling.RIP to the poor lads who died.44 men in 3 months is crazy.

FWIW I do think that the migrant worker system in Qatar is completely abhorrent and should be changed, and that FIFA are in an almost unique position to do something about it.

It might also be an idea to put pressure on the big FIFA sponsors, do JVC/McDonalds/Visa etc really want their names/brand associated with and plastered around stadia built under these conditions?

wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

+1.

It would be one way to stick it to that arrogant ba$tard Blatter.

Also,I hope to fcuk that Channel 4 or someone do a documentary on this soon and get the ball rolling.RIP to the poor feckers who died.44 men in 3 months is crazy.

You do know that "arrogant ba$tard Blatter" was against the WC in Qatar?? It was Platini that was pushing for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

absolute shocking , its a disgrace of a World Cup , just wondering what kind of spin Blatter will retort to ?, probably just the usual anti English tirade - disgraceful conditiions , and disaster of a World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

My thoughts exactly

you know what though, this is issue is far bigger then that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

You do know that "arrogant ba$tard Blatter" was against the WC in Qatar?? It was Platini that was pushing for it.

Jesus, suitcase probably wasn't big enough for Blatter so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

In a logical world there is no way the World Cup should have been awarded to Qatar. Add the treatment of migrant workers and the argument to strip the tournament from them is very strong indeed. Unfortunately Fifa are one of the most corrupt sporting bodies out there so there is no way they are going to change this (unless it is going to cost them in their bank balance!).

I cannot wait to read Andersonisgods take on this

Where is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yikes, I know you like to be the man who sees the reason in FIFA / UEFA where the man on the street can't but my jaysus you're stretching yourself here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Jelle1880 wrote: »

I think the proponents of these types of sporting events claim that the pressures they put on host nations (from the wider attention they bring) to reform inequalities is why they are a force for good. A spreading of values and shining of lights argument.

Fifa have an opportunity here to make Qatar a safer place for migrant workers. Let's see what they do. I can't wait to hear what Blatter has to say.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    I think the proponents of these types of sporting events claim that the pressures they put on host nations (from the wider attention they bring) to reform inequalities is why they are a force for good. A spreading of values and shining of lights argument.

Fifa have an opportunity here to make Qatar a safer place for migrant workers. Let's see what they do. I can't wait to hear what Blatter has to say.

Particularly in light of his slavery comments a few years back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

SantryRed wrote: »
    Jesus, suitcase probably wasn't big enough for Blatter so.

Wasnt Platini seen out and about with the Qatari group few months prior to the bid been made or am I thinking of something to do with PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Wasnt Platini seen out and about with the Qatari group few months prior to the bid been made or am I thinking of something to do with PSG.

His son works for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm sure all it'll take is for them to annoy the evil US in some way and everyone will row in behind them. A bit of a calm down message from Putin to Obama over Syria is all it took for the homophobia in Russia to vanish from peoples thoughts. Great bunch of lads, the Russians.

There are thousands of Indians in Qatar too working for a pittance. My cousin went out to work as an engineer there and everyone below a foreman is Indian on the sites. They don't bother with Western tradesmen at all. When you look for say, 100 men for x hours they send you 200 instead in kind of a 2 for 1 deal because they are so cheap. It's been like that for years. It's still worth them going there though because even the pittance they earn lets them send money home they wouldn't have otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I read this article in utter disbelief, yet another stain against the 2022 World Cup. I came to boards to find a thread on the article (this one) in hope someone had knowledge of some global body ready to make a stand. At this point I don't see how Qatar can host this tournmant, it's wrong on so many levels.

I mean no offense to the good willed Qatari citizens, but how can a nation of less than two million people host a sporting event of this size? They don't have the infrastructure in place yet, but how do they propose to make up a workforce capable of the standards expected for the World Cup?

It's one shambolic controversy after another:
    - The climate is way too hot, it's hard to believe that the leagues that have provided the power FIFA have are going to pay for this.
    - The country has a horrible human rights record, as well as laws that have never applied to those that would attend.
    - The labor issues that are the subject of this thread.

It all reeks of corruption, at this point its like an elephant in the room - everyone knows. I think the host nation needs to be changed, and I think the first step is ousting Sepp Blatter, who is nothing but a Mafioso plague on World Football. If there was to be any movement on achieving this I could see myself getting off my couch and taking part. But who is there? I don't think we should bother expecting the Football Associations of any countries rising up on their own - I think an independent body is needed (Amnesty International?) to raise awareness and get the ball rolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

gosplan wrote: »

The FAI will most likely be unintentionally boycotting the tournament anyway after the qualifiers. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Big sporting bodies hosting events in countries with less than stellar human rights records in nothing new

Argentina getting the 1978 World Cup
    China getting the 2008 Olympics
    Rugby and cricket tours to South Africa

How exactly is this any different ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Big sporting bodies hosting events in countries with less than stellar human rights records in nothing new

Not a reason to back down and let it all happen though.

I think it's a culmination of things, not only human rights abuses, that have people (me anyway) against Qatar hosting the WC.

People can't travel back in time and tackle every injustice and moral hypocrisy that has ever occurred. However something can be done about Qatar. Better that than simply resigning ourselves to a position of capitulation; 'sure this stuff happens all the time, what's the big deal', etc.

Not a reason to back down and let it all happen though.

I think it's a culmination of things, not only human rights abuses, that have people (me anyway) against Qatar hosting the WC.
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    People can't travel back in time and tackle every injustice and moral hypocrisy that has ever occurred. However something can be done about Qatar. Better that than simply resigning ourselves to a position of capitulation; 'sure this stuff happens all the time, what's the big deal', etc.

I am no fan of Qatar hosting the WC

From the get go I have pointed out here how their bid flies in the face of a lot of the criteria FIFA have for hosting a WC, large population of fill stadiums, dispersed venues, summer time tournament etc.

My point is this latest news will do little to sway FIFA, history has shown us that sports bodies in the past have ignored human rights issues for the sake of a successful event.
    Unless someone high up in FIFA takes the high moral ground on this issue I think it will just blow over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

One of the big football associations need to start threatening to pull out of qualifiers for the 2022 world cup completely. Get some momentum going

IvySlayer wrote: »
    One of the big football associations need to start threatening to pull out of qualifiers for the 2022 world cup completely. Get some momentum going

Not a bad idea, a good old cold war era type boycott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Nothing will happen, the football associations are in on the gravy train. It would be a political nightmare for an association to take this one on. Sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I am no fan of Qatar hosting the WC

From the get go I have pointed out here how their bid flies in the face of a lot of the criteria FIFA have for hosting a WC, large population of fill stadiums, dispersed venues, summer time tournament etc.

My point is this latest news will do little to sway FIFA, history has shown us that sports bodies in the past have ignored human rights issues for the sake of a successful event.
    Unless someone high up in FIFA takes the high moral ground on this issue I think it will just blow over.

Fifa, all member associations and the majority of the press certainly won't give a flying fùck about it because they'll be earning their money from it. We fans can still do things though. It's a long way off yet, but by the time the qualification groups come around a boycott by any fans who care would be a good option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Pro. F wrote: »
    Fifa, all member associations and the majority of the press certainly won't give a flying fùck about it because they'll be earning their money from it. We fans can still do things though. It's a long way off yet, but by the time the qualification groups come around a boycott by any fans who care would be a good option.

People will continue to ignore it.

People currently banging on about it cause of the WC. Any real comments over their links with barca, Malaga or PSG? Anyone giving out about the city owners and their equally disposable human rights records? Nope.

Some PR spin and some notable football results and people will move on. As long as they are able to watch their footie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement